Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long Term Rental - Perth

Long Term Rental - Perth

Old Apr 15th 2006, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Pauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nice
Default Long Term Rental - Perth

Hi guys,

Well, we have now sold the house, booked flights etc and things are starting to move.

We are flying out on June 12 from Heathrow, arriving in Perth in on the 13th. We have booked a furnished rental from a friend of my sister already in Perth for 3 weeks but we're not sure what to do after that. We don't think we want to buy straight away and are thinking of renting for approx 6 months. Should we wait till we get there and look or should we book something now as people are saying rentals are getting hard to come by.

I would be interested to know what people think from their own experience and also any recommendations of rentals would be great. We would be looking for a 4 bed, 2 bath and would like a pool if we can afford it!!!

Thanks a lot guys.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:00 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Rental - Perth

Originally Posted by Pauline & Iain
Hi guys,

Well, we have now sold the house, booked flights etc and things are starting to move.

We are flying out on June 12 from Heathrow, arriving in Perth in on the 13th. We have booked a furnished rental from a friend of my sister already in Perth for 3 weeks but we're not sure what to do after that. We don't think we want to buy straight away and are thinking of renting for approx 6 months. Should we wait till we get there and look or should we book something now as people are saying rentals are getting hard to come by.

I would be interested to know what people think from their own experience and also any recommendations of rentals would be great. We would be looking for a 4 bed, 2 bath and would like a pool if we can afford it!!!

Thanks a lot guys.
I'd suss out perth a bit first until you get a mix of feel and local knowledge then look to buy.

To get an idea on properties, costs etc check this site out

www.realestate.com.au

Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:33 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot guys.
rental market mad as is the buyers market , i would say if you intend to stay and by selling your home in uk i guess you are then i would say buy as soon as you can or it will cost you a lot more in 6 months .

The main thing is location that you need to sort , ie how far from your work etc .
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

juri is an unknown quantity at this point

We rented both North and South of the river. At Canning Vale we put up 6 months rent in advance to secure the place (This is not necessary we panicked as we were, like you, staying somewhere for 3 weeks and our stuff was due off the boat).
The popular rental areas can have many people vying for the same house but you can get somewhere decent fairly easily. You don't need to end up in a ghetto.
Kids, pets and lease length are the major factors but the biggest bit of advice I can give is get a reference.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Look for a rental after you have arrived. Looking at a house on the internet doesn't tell you what is right and left from it. You also have no feel for the place when you are not here.

I definately would not rush into buying a house despite the fact that house prices are going up. Again, you won't know the ins and outs of the place.

During the first 3 weeks you need a rental car to find your own new car, get all the paper work done and make appointments for viewings in areas you would like to live. At the end you might end up somewhere completely different, because there was nothing suitable in the areas you fancied.

How much are you able/willing to pay for rent per week?

Try to gather as much information on prefered suburbs as you can get before you arrive and ask questions on the forum.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Pauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nicePauline & Iain is just really nice

Thanks everyone.

We will keep looking on the net at rentals but if we don't find one before we get there it will top of the list 'to do' when we arrive.

Thats a good point, can anyone recommend a good car hire firm, as the one we used previously have closed down.

Cheers again.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:50 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

We will keep looking on the net at rentals but if we don't find one before we get there it will top of the list 'to do' when we arrive.

Thats a good point, can anyone recommend a good car hire firm, as the one we used previously have closed down.

Cheers again.
Bayswater car rentals have been popular with backpackers in the past but I'm not sure if they still operate. They were in the city: adelaide tce or hill st I think.

Check out: www.yellowpages.com.au and fill in the boxes for car rentals. Many have web pages you can look at
Old Apr 15th 2006, 7:22 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Bayswater car rentals have been popular with backpackers in the past but I'm not sure if they still operate. They were in the city: adelaide tce or hill st I think.

Check out: www.yellowpages.com.au and fill in the boxes for car rentals. Many have web pages you can look at

2 replies and no whinging about Perth. Something wrong with you?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

blieble is an unknown quantity at this point

Bayswater car rentals shops can be found in a few places, but I recently hired a car from their place on Adelaide Terrace/Bennett Street. For 7+ days rental, it cost $23 a day (about £10) for a 1.8 automatic Corolla which was a year old - as long as I didn't average more than 100km a day.

You have to pay up front and with an additional $200 which is refunded if you don't damage the car in any way.

Regards,
Dazz
Old Apr 16th 2006, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

The BEST place to hire a car from is Northside Rentals.......www.northsiderentals.com.au

We have referred hundreds of people there in the past and they have NEVER let us down!!!

All the best