Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:20 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Seems like this guy owns his own company he's had these asses working for him for a long time and they quite happily take his money off him every month in wages but dont seem to be that helpful in making him succesful in return.

getting rid of people who dont/wont perform is a nightmare without this new support - if you're hardworking and good at your job (ie valuable to the company) then nothing to fear nobody fires anybody on a whim (well maybe 0.001% of empoyers might).
Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:26 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

For the sake of argument I googled Smirk to see what its definition was : you'll be pleased to know that one of them was this :

smirk
noun. a jerk Smurf - (see cartoonz)

Example : 'papa smurf is so rude! He's a smirk!'
Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Originally Posted by michellemac
No manager in their right mind would ever sack an employee who was good at their job and made lots of money for the company?! If they did then in a market with skill shortages they would be mad and in the long term their business would suffer anyway.

Michelle
Unfortunately Michelle some managers sack their best employees to cover up their own incompetencies.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:43 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Unfortunately Michelle some managers sack their best employees to cover up their own incompetencies.

Cheers

Buzzy
If that happened at my company there would only be managers left.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Both parties were on "A Current Affair" tonight. Although the "boss" wasn't entirely convincing, the other two weren't either, so I think that there is much more to it than either party is admitting.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:05 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Quick question for spalen - how long have you lived/did you live in Singapore?
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:02 am
Just Joined

s4steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If it's true then it's disgraceful & wrong but as with most things there are probably 2 sides to this story. As it's a union putting it's side of the arguement you will probably find that they are not telling the whole truth. If that is the true reason for the dismissal then it should/would be overturned by the courts.
If it wasn't for bad employers unions would not exist
Old Apr 21st 2006, 6:24 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I would have believed the story had the word 'union' not been in the same sentence. I won't say where I work but let's say my union who I no longer subscribe to, are a bunch of fools with their own agenda. I wonder how different the Oz unions are?

I do however believe that the private sector would sack someone, given the opportunity, for wearing the wrong coloured tie or skirt. - you see I am not biased
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:16 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Quick question for spalen - how long have you lived/did you live in Singapore?
I dont/didnt but work all over Asia and my colleagues around AP take the pixx out of me in many dialects. Good spot...
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:02 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s4steve
If it wasn't for bad employers unions would not exist
I say we should go back to the Hawke 'Accord' model where unions, employees and employers were all validated and achieving consensus was the goal. It may not be the utopian model to any of these players but it certainly was a hell of a lot better than the environment we are now seeing develop.

Perhaps too the unfair dissmisal laws needed some review or ammendment but they certainly didn't need consigning to the waste (too hard) basket).
For any commerical enterprise to run well it needs skilled, knowledgeable workers who have a positive workplace environment. Change the environment and you change the outcomes simple as that. This has been proven overseas both in the negative and in the positive.

We talk of innovation yet managers and directors etc only consider it in terms of meeting their needs. They fail to value staff appropriately. What is now being realised is that without appropriately valuing staff, a hostile and poor quality product/service become the outcome.

Workers who live in 'fear' of losing there jobs will begin to look elsewhere for more secure employment and at the very least perform worse and experience a higher level of stress/illness/absenteeism and family tension.

People will then become hesitant about taking out a homeloan as a reduction in future wages or insecure employment feed fears of being unable to meet mortgage payments. People will have less, so will spend less. Business confidence will then take a fall. Unemployment will rise. The building industry and allied services will then experience a decline. Economic contraction and a recession are then likely.

In the worst case scenario rentals will become so much in demand (yet buliding of new properties will decrease) that existing rentals will become overpriced and some people will literally not be able to afford to have a roof over their heads!

If you don't believe me, take a good look at what has happened to property values in the last 5 yrs and this was without the IR reforms!

This may not happen this way, but it well could if we persist along the path
we are currently taking.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 2:47 pm
ah-beng

Originally Posted by kiwichild
If you don't believe me, take a good look at what has happened to property values in the last 5 yrs and this was without the IR reforms!

This may not happen this way, but it well could if we persist along the path
we are currently taking.
Hmm.. the smurfs didnt deal with Papa Smurf's smirking and now look where they are - exactly, nowhere. Their TV deals all failed, the last book was a flop, and last I heard they were living in relative poverty. In fact things are so bad that many of the younger smurfs are forced to migrate to London and act as housemaids and cleaners or au-pairs for the Wombles. These migrant smurfs stay long enough in London to avoid visa problems, say 2 years, and send money home to the family back home to feed and clothe them. Papa smurf himself , wracked by his own failures, turned to drugs, another increasing problem in smurf society and ended his days in his mushroom that had become the local crack den.

Its a sorry state of affairs indeed. This smirking really needs to be cracked down on before it gets out of hand, it is a serious problem.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:07 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Hmm.. the smurfs didnt deal with Papa Smurf's smirking and now look where they are - exactly, nowhere. Their TV deals all failed, the last book was a flop, and last I heard they were living in relative poverty. In fact things are so bad that many of the younger smurfs are forced to migrate to London and act as housemaids and cleaners or au-pairs for the Wombles. These migrant smurfs stay long enough in London to avoid visa problems, say 2 years, and send money home to the family back home to feed and clothe them. Papa smurf himself , wracked by his own failures, turned to drugs, another increasing problem in smurf society and ended his days in his mushroom that had become the local crack den.

Its a sorry state of affairs indeed. This smirking really needs to be cracked down on before it gets out of hand, it is a serious problem.
LOL Now that is a serious piece of creative writing. I think you should contact Dave Hughes from Nova FM in Melb/The Glasshouse (ABC). I'm sure he could point you in the right direction to further your career
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:55 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
For the alleged two sides to the story go to www.theage.com.au and under Boss denies smirking charge near the top you'll see audio - the worker's tale and the boss's tale. Reading the boss's denial I wouldn't give him this month's Best Employee Relations award.

OzTennis
i watched it on the telly and couldn't stop laughing at it.
to it looks as if they guy that was sacked was on his way out anyway and he knew it. the boss just overreacted and i think it has backfired on him
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Originally Posted by spalen
I dont/didnt but work all over Asia and my colleagues around AP take the pixx out of me in many dialects. Good spot...
Thanks.

I had a few Singaporean workmates when I was back home at Australia Post; it's amazing how much Singaporean slang you can pick up in four and a half years!
Old Apr 21st 2006, 8:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Long Term Employee Sacked For Smirking

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Sorry I would have believed the story had the word 'union' not been in the same sentence. I won't say where I work but let's say my union who I no longer subscribe to, are a bunch of fools with their own agenda. I wonder how different the Oz unions are?
Pretty much, except that they are aggressive fools with some genuine political clout.