Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Log book for a second hand car

Log book for a second hand car

Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Log book for a second hand car

Buying this second hand car from a dealer and there is no log book.

Do you need one and will I have problems selling the vehicle on.

Can I get hold of a log book for that car perhaps and if so what will it cost.

Or may be log books are just not important here.

Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:32 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Log book for a second hand car

Originally Posted by Paul & June

Thanks
By logbook, do you mean service logbook or trip logbook?
How old is the car?
Is the dealer a independent wholesaler or owner of a brand (Ford, Holden etc) dealership?

Ask the dealer where is it, as getting one now might not be worthwhile, as it will have no prior service history. If the dealer was one of the brand dealerships, it would most likely be a late model car and have a service logbook in the glovebox.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 18th 2009 at 4:38 am.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul & June

Logbooks are just as important here as in the UK. The logbook is the proof that/when the car was serviced. If a car has no logbook I'd be very concerned.

But I don't understand what you mean by "Can I get hold of a log book for that car perhaps and if so what will it cost." ? You can't "buy" a logbook (except perhaps a fraudulent one). The car's previous owner(s) either kept a logbook or they didn't.

Perhaps you don't really mean "logbook". Perhaps you mean the handbook/service manual? The one that gives you all the data about the car? If that's what you mean, then you could contact the car manufacturer and see if they've got old handbooks.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

I reckon the OP is on about the logbook (V5 in the UK).

I didn't get one when i bought the car or the bikes. I'm in Queensland.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wullieb1
I reckon the OP is on about the logbook (V5 in the UK).

I didn't get one when i bought the car or the bikes. I'm in Queensland.

You mean the registration document?

S
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Logbooks are just as important here as in the UK. The logbook is the proof that/when the car was serviced. If a car has no logbook I'd be very concerned.

But I don't understand what you mean by "Can I get hold of a log book for that car perhaps and if so what will it cost." ? You can't "buy" a logbook (except perhaps a fraudulent one). The car's previous owner(s) either kept a logbook or they didn't.

Perhaps you don't really mean "logbook". Perhaps you mean the handbook/service manual? The one that gives you all the data about the car? If that's what you mean, then you could contact the car manufacturer and see if they've got old handbooks.
I disagree that it is seen as important here as it is in the UK - while it is nice to have it, way more cars over here do not seem to have a full service history or any at all - way more than the UK. I asked a few chums about it and they generally said it was nice to have but not essential in their opinion.

It does seem as if there's less releiance placed on a FSH than there is in the UK, so it's worth being wary of...

Last edited by slipshot; Jun 18th 2009 at 7:04 am.