Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

locking suitcases

locking suitcases

Old Mar 8th 2003, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default locking suitcases

After a recent trip to usa we were advised to leave our cases unlocked, is this the case when travelling to oz.

Cheers
karen and andy
Old Mar 8th 2003, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: locking suitcases

Originally posted by karen and andy
After a recent trip to usa we were advised to leave our cases unlocked, is this the case when travelling to oz.

Cheers
karen and andy
Could be a good idea, as it would then appear you have nothing to hide,

Cheers,
Old Mar 9th 2003, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the states, if you lock you case you may have to wait after you have checked in whilst they put your case through the new xray machines.

It happened to me a few weeks ago and they pulled everything apart because they had found something suspicious. They eventually found it to be a couple of golf balls. Apparently their density triggered some sort of warning.

I would rather lock my case and have the extra wait. Too many light fingered friends around these days.
Old Mar 9th 2003, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: locking suitcases

Originally posted by karen and andy

Cheers
karen and andy

I've just come back from a holiday in Oz and I locked my cases. Had no problems at all.

Just had to remember where I'd put my keys
Old Mar 10th 2003, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

I don't lock my bags generally ... arriving in Oz one time via Houston I found some other dude's stuff zipped inside my bag. (A Tweed overcoat and a PhD Uni Thesis).

Only found them as I went to shove some of my onboard stuff into the hold bag for easy of transportation thru the airport ...

Course in that situation how can one be sure what is or isn't in the bags ... how do you progress thru customs clearance ... how can you declare that you bags do or do not contain any contraband?
Old Mar 10th 2003, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Always lock them if you can. That's what the airlines advise.

Baggage handlers (esp in third world countries) have a habit of helping themselves.

I cannot see any reason for leaving them unlocked.