Lock down

Old May 20th 2005, 1:03 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lock down

The kids came home from school today and said they had a practise lock down...they went on to tell me that if someone bad comes into the school with a gun or a knife that a warning song goes off and they have to get under their desks, curl up in a ball with their hands on their heads...and that the teacher has to sit against the door!!

Was quite shocked and wondered if this was something that all schools did?

Spalens wife
Old May 20th 2005, 1:07 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lock down

Originally Posted by spalen
The kids came home from school today and said they had a practise lock down...they went on to tell me that if someone bad comes into the school with a gun or a knife that a warning song goes off and they have to get under their desks, curl up in a ball with their hands on their heads...and that the teacher has to sit against the door!!

Spalens wife
Oh my! Dani certainly hasnt said anything so far but i,ll ask her tomorrow!

Ps,Hope your feeling better x

Donna.
Old May 20th 2005, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by madsad

Donna.

As a parent governor of our primary school a lot of schools are having to develop critical incidence plans so guess along with that goes a practice.

Scary when your kids have to practice for this can think of some kids I know that will be worried about this, hope there are no nightmares!

Chris
Old May 20th 2005, 1:14 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Spalens wife
I work at a primary school and we have a special intruder alarm. Our pupils have to do the same as yours. Only difference being that I, personally, arm myself with a baseball bat while I stand by the door. Nobody is going to harm my babies
Old May 20th 2005, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

OMG :scared: is this what it's come down to? How sad that our children have to go through such things at school. My biggest fear at school was getting caught smoking behind the school by the teacher .

Kids have enough pressures these days without having to worry if some psycho is going to come in and chase them with a knife...indeed the stuff of nightmares. Unfortunately though I suppose that it has become reality now for too many, better for them to prepared but still

Hope your little one wasn't too upset by it.
Tracey.
Old May 20th 2005, 1:19 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
As a parent governor of our primary school a lot of schools are having to develop critical incidence plans so guess along with that goes a practice.

Scary when your kids have to practice for this can think of some kids I know that will be worried about this, hope there are no nightmares!

Chris
Don't think they are too bothered, little one was out on the sports field and had to run back to the classroom...one thing that was funny tho was that the alarm song is some happy song that they all know as the warning..I personally think its a good thing, they have seen situations with schools on the news so I guess it makes them feel a bit better to know there is a plan...and lets face it no where is safe these days.

spalens wife
donna..feeling much better now thanks, look forward to seeing all the girls on the 28th..oh and I got my bisto!
Old May 20th 2005, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Don't think they are too bothered
I've just started teaching in Brissy, and the school had a lock down practice about a month ago. They sounded the fire alarm, so I was all ready to take the kids down to the sports pitch. You should have seen the year 8 kids' faces when I opened the door!

Apparently a fire alarm that stops and starts is the signal used in the area I was teaching. So there I was, ushering the poor wee mites out into the corridor when the kids were trying to tell me to get down and hide!

I was a bit shocked about it all when I realised what they were doing. The kids were really matter of fact about it all, saying it was just to protect themselves if anything went wrong, its what you do!
Old May 20th 2005, 2:00 pm
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

Over the moon
Old May 20th 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hunkyhenry
Over the moon
Have you not got anything better to do today
Old May 20th 2005, 2:20 pm
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

Yes - on top too
Old May 20th 2005, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

wow.... scary stuff.. it would have been nice to have known about this before so you could have prepred them.. I suppose if its routine it can only be a good thing..

Julie
Old May 20th 2005, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Spalens wife

All of the schools my kids have been to have lock down practise. There are two differnt sirens, fire and lock down. In a lock down you go to the nearest classroom hit the floor hands on head and stay low, the teachers responsiblity is to lock the class, everyone stays put till the danger is over.

Think last year they had two practise sessions. Jacks teacher said it came into school policy after the massacre in Tasmania where some nut went off in a tourist park and killed 30 people including kids.

Just asked jack if the teachers warn them there will be a practise and he said usually, but the last one there was no warning, I know tho at the time a huge and very violent custody dispute was going on with one family in the school, its quite possible in that case it wasnt a practise session.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:55 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I work at a primary school and we have a special intruder alarm. Our pupils have to do the same as yours. Only difference being that I, personally, arm myself with a baseball bat while I stand by the door. Nobody is going to harm my babies
You REALLY need a raise for that sort of dedication......GOOD ON YOU

CORKER
Old May 21st 2005, 2:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by madsad

Donna.
My daughter hadn't mentioned it either, but confirmed what it was when I asked her. She was very matter of fact about it, saying, as someone else said, "it's just what you do when a really bad person enters the school"