Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Locations in Perth for young family

Locations in Perth for young family

Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Maryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the rough
Default Locations in Perth for young family

We are coming to Western Australia (Perth area) for three weeks with a view to emigrating. We have three children aged 7,5 and 1. Ideally I would like to pick approx six areas to visit, particularly focusing on the standard of government run schools and an affordable property market. We have been researching using various websites but would appreciate anyone's personal view on ideal locations in the Perth area based on their experiences.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Locations in Perth for young family

Make sure you visit the hills, especially the Kalamunda area. Apparently some good schools around here. Our son is only 18 months old so not looking at schools at the mo. Houses are quite pricey but you do get a big plot. More of a community feel up here compared to some of the new coastal suburbs.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Maryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the roughMaryanne Cherry is a jewel in the rough

Thanks very much for responding - any info is valuable as we have never been out of Europe and considering the upheavel for our three children to the other side of the world is quite daunting. I wondered whether you can tell me whether you receive family tax benefit/child benefit and whether it was a straightforward process in applying as a immigrant?

Thank you.

Maryanne
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:37 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maryanne Cherry
We are coming to Western Australia (Perth area) for three weeks with a view to emigrating. We have three children aged 7,5 and 1. Ideally I would like to pick approx six areas to visit, particularly focusing on the standard of government run schools and an affordable property market. We have been researching using various websites but would appreciate anyone's personal view on ideal locations in the Perth area based on their experiences.
Every time I drive past Ellenbrook I think it looks really nice. Plenty of people moving there, saw a sign for a new Anglican Community school that's being built which will probably be private, but affordable. The hills is worth a look too.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

It all depends on what you are looking for here in Perth, and most importantly what can you afford?
Do you want the beach or the hills? A small plot or big one? Have a good look around and have a look at the school results on the website.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:32 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks very much for responding - any info is valuable as we have never been out of Europe and considering the upheavel for our three children to the other side of the world is quite daunting. I wondered whether you can tell me whether you receive family tax benefit/child benefit and whether it was a straightforward process in applying as a immigrant?

Thank you.

Maryanne
What kind of visa are you coming on?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Every time I drive past Ellenbrook I think it looks really nice. Plenty of people moving there, saw a sign for a new Anglican Community school that's being built which will probably be private, but affordable. The hills is worth a look too.
Swan Valley Anglican Community School (www.svacs.edu.wa.au) Fees about $3500 at secondary level.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by comet555
What kind of visa are you coming on?
on a permanent visa
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:41 pm
sorry..I don't understand

funkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the roughfunkydelia is a jewel in the rough

I'm interested in this thread too as I have started applying now for a 175 visa and my son will be 3 by the time we come out. I am also a teacher so may just end up living close to wherever I can get a job!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:05 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

on a permanent visa
Then I think you are eligible for most family/child benefits.

For example, my daughter goes to kindy twice a week. I'm not working and my husband makes a fair amount of money. We still get the minimum subsidy for child care benefits, so everyone gets even a little bit of help. It doesn't work out to much for us though, probably about $5 a day off the regular cost.

For family benefits we do get a small amount because I'm not working. From what I remember there are two types of benefits, one that depends on how much the families total income is (family tax benefit A), and another that you can qualify for if you have one spouse with no income (family tax benefit B). So we don't qualify for A, but we do get benefit B, although in my opinion we shouldn't even be eligible!

Have a look here and you'll find more info:
http://myaccount.centrelink.gov.au/wps/portal/payments

Look under family benefits. You can even do an estimate to find out how much you should get. I just did an estimate for ours and it's exactly what we get, so it's pretty accurate.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:28 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Secret Harbour, just the best!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
Secret Harbour, just the best!
We moved over last year and have ended up in Secret Harbour. My 3 year old starts kindy in a few weeks. There are two Primary school is Secret Harbour. I really like the area and I'm excited about my daughter starting. I've only heard good things and the school even invited parents to a positive parenting programme before the kids started school. Only time will tell but I am more confident than I would have been if I had been starting her at a school in the UK.

We also looked at Ellenbrook. Thought is was nice but as my sister in law is south of the river it would have been too far.

I can't tell you about the suburbs up north. I have heard the hills have lovely areas. Every time I drive up the Kwinana the thought of living up there crosses my mind.

Where you settle does depend on travel to work as well. Hubby works in Perth and I do some part time work to in Perth. For that reason I wouldn't want to be much further south at the moment but in the future would consider Mandurah (just a personal thing).

We are permanent residents and found it fairly straight forward to claim all the equivalent benefits that were on offer in England. Especially liked the extra lump sums for get my youngest vacinated.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision

Poppetuk

Last edited by PoppetUK; Jan 20th 2008 at 10:17 am.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Hi

When we went we focused our search in the 'burbs' and further so 30 mins to 60 mins outside Perth.

Didn't see a bad area really, there are lots of new developments all geared up for families so you can't really go wrong.

You can have a costal, city or country life. We liked it up in the hills Mundaring was just fab and we also liked bullsbrook because of the land.

My only issue was in some of the north coast 'burbs' and the one we where we stayed in particular, everyone heads for the coast so it feels like your in the UK but with the sun. Suits some folk but not others.

Perth is easy to get around, get a copy of the UBD and get in the car. We spent two weeks just driving around.

Make sure you go to Cavandish Wildlife Park and a wine tour around the Swan Valley too!!!

Have a great time

Cx
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your e-mail - all v helpful - can you recommend a good and reasonably priced car hire company - we need a car that will take family of 5 plus luggage.
Thanks x
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

We live in Roleystone in the hills. Love it here. Fab school and it's state so fees are just $80.

You don't 'have' to go private - would you in the uk ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.