Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

location and schooling in Adelaide

location and schooling in Adelaide

Old Dec 31st 2004, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

leicester girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default location and schooling in Adelaide

Hi there, have found lots of helpful info so far...does anyone live in or know anything about the Christies beach area or nice surrounding areas?? We are going through the visa process at the moment and looking for an area to move to. We have a 11 year old son to school...can anyone help?? happy new year!!!
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: location and schooling in Adelaide

Hi can't be a lot of help as to your questions but thought I would say we are looking at going to Adelaide as well and have 2 boys 10, and 13 if you would like to keep in touch.
ps I assume you have tried the Adelaide Brits site.

Happy New Year, Chris and family.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leicester girl
Hi there, have found lots of helpful info so far...does anyone live in or know anything about the Christies beach area or nice surrounding areas?? We are going through the visa process at the moment and looking for an area to move to. We have a 11 year old son to school...can anyone help?? happy new year!!!
We did a reckie to Port Noarlunga/Christies Beach and found it quite quiet in the winter. Went slightly further north though and loved Hallett Cove and Woodcroft
Old Dec 31st 2004, 6:45 pm
wombat42

l found the place a bit boring, suburban, sort of typical of outer suburbs where all the houses look the same and not that much to do apart from large shopping centers. l would prefer beach suburbs closer to the city such as Brighton, Henly beach which have more charcter, but they are more expensive. The best thing to do is to see as much of Adelaide when you get
there and look at other places apart from the beach suburbs such as in The Adelaide hills there are some nice suburbs such as Mt.Barker, Belair.

Old Jan 1st 2005, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hi can't be a lot of help as to your questions but thought I would say we are looking at going to Adelaide as well and have 2 boys 10, and 13 if you would like to keep in touch.

Thanks I will try that website as I trawl through the mass of info on the web. let me know if you find decent schools for the boys as I seem to have found lots but I guess until we go and look its hard to assess although lots of ex-pats seem to sent their kids to private school, cant see us doing that though as kids make friends with others in the area by going to the same school...we will get there one day!!!
Old Jan 1st 2005, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ohippy
We did a reckie to Port Noarlunga/Christies Beach and found it quite quiet in the winter. Went slightly further north though and loved Hallett Cove and Woodcroft
Propertys there seem top end priced but you get what you pay for! did you go to Glenelg? I think that it may get too busy in peak seasons though?
Old Jan 1st 2005, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wombat42
l found the place a bit boring, suburban, sort of typical of outer suburbs where all the houses look the same and not that much to do apart from large shopping centers. l would prefer beach suburbs closer to the city such as Brighton, Henly beach which have more charcter, but they are more expensive. The best thing to do is to see as much of Adelaide when you get
there and look at other places apart from the beach suburbs such as in The Adelaide hills there are some nice suburbs such as Mt.Barker, Belair.

thnaks for the insight, until you visit its hard to tell. i think we will be looking near to the beach although Belair isnt such a drive from the beach i think?
If we buy in the more expensive areas then we will just have to downscale on size of property for the location. We thought that as soon as the visa application has been granted then it would be a good time to come and have a look at areas and schools etc. My hubby and son love to surf and me bodyboard, do you know of any good beaches to catch a wave?
Old Jan 1st 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Propertys there seem top end priced but you get what you pay for! did you go to Glenelg? I think that it may get too busy in peak seasons though?

Hallet Cove was slightly more expensive but then it's close to the beach, rail link etc. Also has a very good school. Woodcroft is cheaper and still pretty close to the coast just not right on it. It also has a good school, Reynella East - visited both schools and was pretty impressed. Hallett Cove is very hilly though - and I mean steep hills.

We did visit Brighton and Glenelg - liked them both. We visited mid winter and it was quite busy then. If you keep to the coast - the closer you get to CBD the more expensive the properties - hence why we ended up at Hallett Cove !! More southern coastal areas are cheaper but there is less and less to do/facilities etc. There has been a number of threads on here about this area and Happy Valley, Flagstaff Hill etc so it may be worth doing a search
Old Jan 1st 2005, 8:45 pm
wombat42

thnaks for the insight, until you visit its hard to tell. i think we will be looking near to the beach although Belair isnt such a drive from the beach i think?
If we buy in the more expensive areas then we will just have to downscale on size of property for the location. We thought that as soon as the visa application has been granted then it would be a good time to come and have a look at areas and schools etc. My hubby and son love to surf and me bodyboard, do you know of any good beaches to catch a wave?
The waves at Adelaide suburban beaches are too small to surf, you have to travel down to Victor Harbour if you want to go surfing.

Old Jan 1st 2005, 9:34 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

HCK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Leicester girl, from another Leicestershire (girl ha ha!!) a little bit to old to be called a girl. We are also going through the emigration process with the police force, so if we are lucky will be moving to Adelaide. We also have three children although two of them are at University at the moment, we need a school for our 8 year old. Please keep in touch with any suggestions of good schools.
Happy New Year HCK
Old Jan 1st 2005, 9:39 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

Wink Re: location and schooling in Adelaide

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell

Happy New Year to you. We are also thinking of going to Adlaide and will be looking into schools for our 8 year old. Out of curiosity are you in the police force? I would like to keep in touch as it's quite a scary project with lots to sort out.

Regards Helen, John and family
Old Jan 1st 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

i live in woodcroft and its only 10 mins from the beach and the big shopping mallls and 10 mins into the hills

lovely place to live

arlene
Old Jan 1st 2005, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Smile Re: location and schooling in Adelaide

Originally Posted by HCK
Happy New Year to you. We are also thinking of going to Adlaide and will be looking into schools for our 8 year old. Out of curiosity are you in the police force? I would like to keep in touch as it's quite a scary project with lots to sort out.

Regards Helen, John and family
hi Helen, Have sent you a pm, Chris
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 4:28 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by arlene
i live in woodcroft and its only 10 mins from the beach and the big shopping mallls and 10 mins into the hills

lovely place to live

arlene
Thanks Arlene, What are house prices like there?
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

indooroopilly88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Adelaide for 2.5 years. I would definitely NOT recommend living here .. unless you have no choice.

Better to move to:

1. Perth
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Hobart
6. Darwin
7. Adelaide

This is coming from someone who is an Australian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.