Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Location/location/location!!!

Location/location/location!!!

Old May 4th 2006, 9:17 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Location/location/location!!!

Hi Guys and Gals,

In a bit of a predicament......

Basically my parents live in Preston's, Liverpool.... and we want to live maybe 1/2 hour from them.

The problem is my husband want to also live near the beach! Any beach, just a beach ( its one of his dreams)

We would probably be looking at possibly up to 600 or so in way of a mortgage...fingers crossed!

The thing is we need some much needed advise on areas and locations.... I know its alot to ask, but any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Old May 4th 2006, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location/location/location!!!

Originally Posted by utopia
Hi Guys and Gals,

Basically my parents live in Preston's, Liverpool.... and we want to live maybe 1/2 hour from them.

The problem is my husband want to also live near the beach! Any beach, just a beach ( its one of his dreams)

Liverpool Sydney?
Old May 4th 2006, 10:13 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Location/location/location!!!

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Liverpool Sydney?
Sorry Yes, they live in Sydney... Preston's, Liverpool!
I have family all over Australia especially Sydney, but would like to be about half an hour drive to my Mum and Dads... because they need to catch up on lost time with their Grandchildren

My Uncles live in Glenmore Park others in Harrington Park/Cecil Hills etc....
But if I ask about their area they all have the same opinion 'its great ' live here! I need honest advice lol

I have an Aunt in Darling Point I believe its called but when I checked out house prices... they were way over our budget!
Old May 5th 2006, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys and Gals,

We would probably be looking at possibly up to 600 or so in way of a mortgage...fingers crossed!

The thing is we need some much needed advise on areas and locations.... I know its alot to ask, but any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance
As you've noticed, Liverpool is not exactly well positioned for beaches!

The nearest beaches to the Liverpool area (in fact all the southwestern Sydney suburbs) would probably be the ones to the north of Wollongong rather than the Sydney beaches.

The distance, as the crow flies, from Prestons to Cronulla (Sydney) or Stanwell Park (north of Wollongong) is much the same but house prices in Wollongong are much cheaper. Shouldn't think either of them are within half an hour, of Prestons though.

Checkout Stanwell Park (which is lovely) and nearby suburbs.
Old May 5th 2006, 7:55 pm
Can't wait!

Originally Posted by nickyc
As you've noticed, Liverpool is not exactly well positioned for beaches!

The nearest beaches to the Liverpool area (in fact all the southwestern Sydney suburbs) would probably be the ones to the north of Wollongong rather than the Sydney beaches.

The distance, as the crow flies, from Prestons to Cronulla (Sydney) or Stanwell Park (north of Wollongong) is much the same but house prices in Wollongong are much cheaper. Shouldn't think either of them are within half an hour, of Prestons though.

Checkout Stanwell Park (which is lovely) and nearby suburbs.
I am going to check out above tonight on the internet! Lets hope I can afford the prices!
Old May 13th 2006, 1:17 am
Can't wait!

I am going to check out above tonight on the internet! Lets hope I can afford the prices!
I am still having no luck with regards to locations?

Anymore ideas anyone?

Old May 13th 2006, 5:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's just about impossible to give any advice not knowing the price, job prospects etc!

Also, the Sydney "area" is so huge that the suburbs extend to what seems when driving an infinite distance.

To get relatively inexpensive housing in a good area near the beach and within 1/2 hr of Liverpool comes close to being oxymoronic: make it an hour and you could be lucky down the coast but the job situation could be critical.
Old May 13th 2006, 6:31 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Hi Guys and Gals,

Thanks in advance
We are looking at areas around Brisbane but we have done the following:

Look up internet site maps for potential locations (beaches)
View Real Estate websites for house prices in potential locations
View job websites for positions in potential areas and see what the likely salaries are

My OH does the map searches and I do the property searches, I'm nosey I like looking at other peoples houses. One question why does everyone furnish their houses in various shades of brown - very drab!

Have fun Gillian :scared:
Old May 14th 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Hi Guys and Gals,

Eek..... a 600k as a mortgage - that is a weekly repayment of around $1000k per week. Am I being niave but is this the kind of mortgage most people are looking at getting ? Wasn't there some ratio that a mortgage should not be more than three times your annual income - or is that complete rubbish??
Old May 14th 2006, 10:50 pm
Can't wait!

Originally Posted by hubbard
Eek..... a 600k as a mortgage - that is a weekly repayment of around $1000k per week. Am I being niave but is this the kind of mortgage most people are looking at getting ? Wasn't there some ratio that a mortgage should not be more than three times your annual income - or is that complete rubbish??
We are hoping to put down quite a large deposit.... so it hopefully will not be $600.000 100% mortgage.

I am still looking and hoping I find something!
Old May 14th 2006, 11:43 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

From what I gather from this site that ratio doesn't seem to apply in Oz - the lenders seem to give you just about any amount. Hence in part the escalation of housing prices here over the years: too much money chasing limited stocks.
Old May 15th 2006, 12:02 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said the banks in Oz seem to offer you any amount of money with little regard as to whether you can afford the repayments. We were offered 6 or 7 times out joint income 5 months after landing in Oz while I was still on probation in my job and the other half was still temping.

Old May 15th 2006, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by ray2gill
My OH does the map searches and I do the property searches, I'm nosey I like looking at other peoples houses. One question why does everyone furnish their houses in various shades of brown - very drab!
There is big money to made in renting out 'designer' furniture for the property ad photoshoots in Sydney