Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Locals angry as migrants keep jobs - Mandurah

Locals angry as migrants keep jobs - Mandurah

Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:26 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Locals angry as migrants keep jobs - Mandurah

This is a worry:

"The economic downturn is adding to tension in the workplace, with some workers protesting yesterday at a decision by a Mandurah firm to retrench some Australians while keeping migrants employed."

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=128481
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:31 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Locals angry as migrants keep jobs - Mandurah

Reckon we can expect to see more of this sort of thing over the next year or more...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
This is a worry:

"The economic downturn is adding to tension in the workplace, with some workers protesting yesterday at a decision by a Mandurah firm to retrench some Australians while keeping migrants employed."

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=128481
Maybe the burma lads where better workers.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:49 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Surely you can see why this would anger people.

It's just one thing in string of dramas like this recently. Australians want to keep things Australian, and to have an opportunity in their own country.

Just look at how people in the UK complain about European migrants.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SNH
Surely you can see why this would anger people.

It's just one thing in string of dramas like this recently. Australians want to keep things Australian, and to have an opportunity in their own country.

Just look at how people in the UK complain about European migrants.
The only way forward is to abandon 457 visa's.Australian people may be patriotic,but company owners are just as greedy as their counterparts in the uk.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Catch
Maybe the burma lads where better workers.

And that is most probably the truth.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite the same thing but someone had a go at me in Coles yesterday.

I came across a new section with "British" foods, marmite, Bird's custard, Alpen, Colman's mustard etc and was smiling to myself thinking they must be mad if they think I'm paying those prices! Anyway this woman comes up behind me and makes a mumbled comment about the food, I answered back politely (in my still very English accent) that I wouldn't buy any of them as they were far too expensive - upon hearing my accent she went off on one, ranting about us taking over and said if I didn't like the Aussie foods I could bugger off back to where I came from

I had made no comment about the "Aussie" food at all and don't have a problem with it. I felt really embarassed as other shoppers were eavesdropping, I have not come across anything like this in our 8 months here apart from the usual jokes of course, which I accept in good grace

Maybe this is a sign of things to come, I hope not.......

Sam
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Su
rely you can see why this would anger people.
Well yeah obviously people are pissed off and upset to lose their jobs, as has been said these things are often used to get rid of the workers they don't want, who are slackers or trouble makers or whatever.

Presumably they would have had to follow a process to decide who goes? or they could end up in the tribunal?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:19 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
...Presumably they would have had to follow a process to decide who goes? or they could end up in the tribunal?
Under 100 employees and you don't have to do bugger all I believe...

Certainly when I wanted to get rid of someone that had been here 4.5 years the lawyers said just tell him and give him his notice... that's it...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know how I'd make the decision in my business - all other things being equal, whoever works the most efficiently wil be kept on.
And having seen how some Australians work - treating Mondays as a day off, ringing in sick at the slightest opportunity (and having a 'right' to use sick days) - I know who I'd probably end up sacking.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience aussie workers tend to be a lot more laid back (lazy), tend to call in sick or have to take many days off for other reasons. Thats probably why they kept the migrants, as they tend to be a lot more focused and harder working.

In lower scale non office type jobs, things like shop work aussies often dont turn up for their shifts at all, on an average day at a large store 2-3 people wont turn up and a couple more will call in sick. They just think its how things are done and dont think theres a problem with that. Personally it annoys me
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Under 100 employees and you don't have to do bugger all I believe...

Certainly when I wanted to get rid of someone that had been here 4.5 years the lawyers said just tell him and give him his notice... that's it...
Ah yes! I was forgetting little Johnnie Howard.......
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:50 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Ah yes! I was forgetting little Johnnie Howard.......
And notice how quickly KRudd has repealed it...!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:13 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Not quite the same thing but someone had a go at me in Coles yesterday.

I came across a new section with "British" foods, marmite, Bird's custard, Alpen, Colman's mustard etc and was smiling to myself thinking they must be mad if they think I'm paying those prices! Anyway this woman comes up behind me and makes a mumbled comment about the food, I answered back politely (in my still very English accent) that I wouldn't buy any of them as they were far too expensive - upon hearing my accent she went off on one, ranting about us taking over and said if I didn't like the Aussie foods I could bugger off back to where I came from

I had made no comment about the "Aussie" food at all and don't have a problem with it. I felt really embarassed as other shoppers were eavesdropping, I have not come across anything like this in our 8 months here apart from the usual jokes of course, which I accept in good grace

Maybe this is a sign of things to come, I hope not.......

Sam
Learn to speak with an Irish accent,everybody loves us
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammy T
upon hearing my accent she went off on one, ranting about us taking over and said if I didn't like the Aussie foods I could bugger off back to where I came from
Sam
Did you tell her she was a bit slow because we've already taken over, hence the lion and union jack on the Tasmanian state flag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.