Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Loading up your container?

Loading up your container?

Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Loading up your container?

Has anyone shipped their things out using a container but from a place with lousy access?

I am at the end of a longish gravel drive off a narrow village street - there's no way a 20' container will be able to get in and even if loaded in the street will block it for hours!

Just wondering how on earth they organise it.....
Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Kent, United Kingdom, now North West Sydney, Hills district and now Hawkesbury.
MELANIE6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Loading up your container?

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Has anyone shipped their things out using a container but from a place with lousy access?

I am at the end of a longish gravel drive off a narrow village street - there's no way a 20' container will be able to get in and even if loaded in the street will block it for hours!

Hiya,

We are using a 40' foot container which will never get down our drive due to sharp bend - so its being packed into lorrys at the top and then into container at removal companies yard..
Old Jun 20th 2004, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

C'est la vie!!!
I'm sure the removers have to take the rough with the smooth as most of us do during our normal working day.
You could live in a high-rise flat with no lift access.
Good luck to all that are trying
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Jun 20th 2004, 9:59 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Handyandy180
C'est la vie!!!
I'm sure the removers have to take the rough with the smooth as most of us do during our normal working day.
You could live in a high-rise flat with no lift access.
Good luck to all that are trying
Regards Chris and Andrea
Handyandy, thay could chuck it all out over the balkony and breush the bits into the container, and then when you get to Oz caim dammage in transport

Of course thus would never happen:scared: :scared: :scared:

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:30 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MELANIE6
Hiya,

We are using a 40' foot container which will never get down our drive due to sharp bend - so its being packed into lorrys at the top and then into container at removal companies yard..
I'm sure they get a lot of this and the quotes reflect it!

Another thing: if you rent at the other end and put your things into store, do most companies have facilities whereby you can get at one or two things? (I'd hate to be without my golf clubs!)
Old Jun 21st 2004, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

gotthevisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. we had similar situation. Container parked up on main road and a removal van shuttled the furniture and boxes down to it. No problems, as long as you keep the removal men happy with endless cups of tea and choccie biscuits.
Old Jun 21st 2004, 10:10 am
Just Joined

chrissb is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

Hi geting at your stuff the other end is is near on impossible as its wrpped and packed away if you dont want it straight away if you see what i mean .I sugest that you take you stuff , golf clubs as ecess baggage or you will wait and as for packing away from your home at the depot be carful i would want to see in the container before it left and then at the other end just to see that it looked the same we took photos of ours and we still had a few bust bits.THINK!
Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:06 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks everyone. I am saving up for industrial quantities of tea and chocolate biscuits. Must say I like those myself......
Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:09 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

When my parents moved to Jersey the used an articulated lorry which went over on the ferry. As big trucks aren't allowed on Jersey, they had to hire a smaller truck to shift stuff from the port to the house. It took 3 days!

I'd imagine you might have to do something similar, but the shipping company may have it's own smaller trucks who can do the running back and forth