British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Living & working in Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/living-working-brisbane-284506/)

greggsy Feb 15th 2005 8:24 pm

Living & working in Brisbane

Hi, :)
Myself and my family are moving out to brisbane in August/September this year we are looking to live in the Northern suburbs near where my sister lives in Ferny Grove. Can anyone tell us if there are any areas to avoid and where the good schools are as we have a 2.5 year old daughter. Also i am an aircraft engineer (airframe/engine) has anyone got any links to job opportunities in this trade. Look forward to your replys
cheers for now
Greggsy :cool:

Lori&Andy Feb 15th 2005 10:20 pm

Re: Living & working in Brisbane

Greggsy,

Can't help you with the schools and area fronts as we're on the sunshine Coast but you should have a look at the Boeing website and on seek for Boeing positions they are based in Brisbane. Aside from that have a look on seek anyway.

Wanderlust Feb 16th 2005 2:08 am

Check out this website for a very thorough look at what's in the aerospace industry in Queensland.
www.aerospacequeensland.com

Good luck,

W :)

Nicstids Feb 16th 2005 8:13 am

Originally Posted by greggsy
Myself and my family are moving out to brisbane in August/September this year we are looking to live in the Northern suburbs near where my sister lives in Ferny Grove. Can anyone tell us if there are any areas to avoid and where the good schools are as we have a 2.5 year old daughter. Also i am an aircraft engineer (airframe/engine) has anyone got any links to job opportunities in this trade. Look forward to your replys
cheers for now

Hi Greggsy,

My hubby is also an aircraft engineer (in the Navy) and we are looking at the Toowoomba area (about 90 minutes out of Brisbane) currently. There is an army aviation base near there at Oakey. There is also RAAF Amberley near Ipswich. Both are probably a bit far out for you though.

If you register with www.careerone.com.au, you can get emails sent to you of aircraft engineer jobs. We registered about a month ago and have seen quite a few. (Sod's law there don't seem to be any on there at the mo!) Some of the defence ones require you to be a citizen though. Also try looking at www.airmech.co.uk as they have job noticeboards for engineers all over the world.

Hope that helps.

Nicstids Feb 16th 2005 12:00 pm

cheers for now

Just found these for you
http://jobs.careerone.com.au/search/...?jobID=1730951
http://jobs.careerone.com.au/search/...?jobID=1691951

Grayling Feb 16th 2005 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Hi Greggsy,

My hubby is also an aircraft engineer (in the Navy) and we are looking at the Toowoomba area (about 90 minutes out of Brisbane) currently. There is an army aviation base near there at Oakey. There is also RAAF Amberley near Ipswich. Both are probably a bit far out for you though.

My son used to live in Brisbane and worked for Boeing (defence) at RAAF Amberley.

He used to commute every day and found it fairly easy. He also had several colleagues who commuted every day.

G

Sharpy67 Feb 16th 2005 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Hi Greggsy,

If you register with www.careerone.com.au, you can get emails sent to you of aircraft engineer jobs. We registered about a month ago and have seen quite a few. (Sod's law there don't seem to be any on there at the mo!) Some of the defence ones require you to be a citizen though. Also try looking at www.airmech.co.uk as they have job noticeboards for engineers all over the world.

Hope that helps.

Other airport areas of interest on the military front are also

RAAF Richmond (NW Sydney)

RAAF Williamtown (Just north of Newcastle/ near to Port Stephen)

wallabywannabies Feb 16th 2005 7:27 pm

cheers for now

iya greggsy
just returned from brissie myself as mum lives in kenmore.some realy good housing there with schools to match.the wife says to tell you the shopping at indooroopilly was great !and only a mile from kenmore.2 minutes drive out of kenmore and there are great highway links.south on the centenery highway or theres moggill road to take you into yhe city.
www.real estate australia. www.ourbrisbane.com

hope this helps
steve and tracy.

TheColebecks Feb 16th 2005 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by wallabywannabies
iya greggsy
just returned from brissie myself as mum lives in kenmore.some realy good housing there with schools to match.the wife says to tell you the shopping at indooroopilly was great !and only a mile from kenmore.2 minutes drive out of kenmore and there are great highway links.south on the centenery highway or theres moggill road to take you into yhe city.
www.real estate australia. www.ourbrisbane.com

hope this helps
steve and tracy.

Its great to get some info on one of the places we are considering emigrating to, especially schools as we have 3 boys 13, 8, & 4 and good schooling is top of the agenda.

greggsy Feb 17th 2005 8:47 pm

:D A quick thankyou to everyone who answered my thread all very helpfull, cant wait to get out there and enjoy the lifestyle and a few tinnies of course
:beer:
regards to all Greggsy