Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living & working in Brisbane

Living & working in Brisbane

Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Cool Living & working in Brisbane

Hi,
Myself and my family are moving out to brisbane in August/September this year we are looking to live in the Northern suburbs near where my sister lives in Ferny Grove. Can anyone tell us if there are any areas to avoid and where the good schools are as we have a 2.5 year old daughter. Also i am an aircraft engineer (airframe/engine) has anyone got any links to job opportunities in this trade. Look forward to your replys
cheers for now
Greggsy
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living & working in Brisbane

Greggsy,

Can't help you with the schools and area fronts as we're on the sunshine Coast but you should have a look at the Boeing website and on seek for Boeing positions they are based in Brisbane. Aside from that have a look on seek anyway.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:08 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Check out this website for a very thorough look at what's in the aerospace industry in Queensland.
www.aerospacequeensland.com

Good luck,

W
Old Feb 16th 2005, 8:13 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by greggsy
Hi,
Myself and my family are moving out to brisbane in August/September this year we are looking to live in the Northern suburbs near where my sister lives in Ferny Grove. Can anyone tell us if there are any areas to avoid and where the good schools are as we have a 2.5 year old daughter. Also i am an aircraft engineer (airframe/engine) has anyone got any links to job opportunities in this trade. Look forward to your replys
cheers for now
Greggsy
Hi Greggsy,

My hubby is also an aircraft engineer (in the Navy) and we are looking at the Toowoomba area (about 90 minutes out of Brisbane) currently. There is an army aviation base near there at Oakey. There is also RAAF Amberley near Ipswich. Both are probably a bit far out for you though.

If you register with www.careerone.com.au, you can get emails sent to you of aircraft engineer jobs. We registered about a month ago and have seen quite a few. (Sod's law there don't seem to be any on there at the mo!) Some of the defence ones require you to be a citizen though. Also try looking at www.airmech.co.uk as they have job noticeboards for engineers all over the world.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
cheers for now
Greggsy
Just found these for you
http://jobs.careerone.com.au/search/...?jobID=1730951
http://jobs.careerone.com.au/search/...?jobID=1691951
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Hi Greggsy,

My hubby is also an aircraft engineer (in the Navy) and we are looking at the Toowoomba area (about 90 minutes out of Brisbane) currently. There is an army aviation base near there at Oakey. There is also RAAF Amberley near Ipswich. Both are probably a bit far out for you though.
My son used to live in Brisbane and worked for Boeing (defence) at RAAF Amberley.

He used to commute every day and found it fairly easy. He also had several colleagues who commuted every day.

G
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Hi Greggsy,

If you register with www.careerone.com.au, you can get emails sent to you of aircraft engineer jobs. We registered about a month ago and have seen quite a few. (Sod's law there don't seem to be any on there at the mo!) Some of the defence ones require you to be a citizen though. Also try looking at www.airmech.co.uk as they have job noticeboards for engineers all over the world.

Hope that helps.

Other airport areas of interest on the military front are also

RAAF Richmond (NW Sydney)

RAAF Williamtown (Just north of Newcastle/ near to Port Stephen)
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

wallabywannabies will become famous soon enoughwallabywannabies will become famous soon enough

Hi,
cheers for now
Greggsy
iya greggsy
just returned from brissie myself as mum lives in kenmore.some realy good housing there with schools to match.the wife says to tell you the shopping at indooroopilly was great !and only a mile from kenmore.2 minutes drive out of kenmore and there are great highway links.south on the centenery highway or theres moggill road to take you into yhe city.
www.real estate australia. www.ourbrisbane.com

hope this helps
steve and tracy.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wallabywannabies
iya greggsy
just returned from brissie myself as mum lives in kenmore.some realy good housing there with schools to match.the wife says to tell you the shopping at indooroopilly was great !and only a mile from kenmore.2 minutes drive out of kenmore and there are great highway links.south on the centenery highway or theres moggill road to take you into yhe city.
www.real estate australia. www.ourbrisbane.com

hope this helps
steve and tracy.
Its great to get some info on one of the places we are considering emigrating to, especially schools as we have 3 boys 13, 8, & 4 and good schooling is top of the agenda.

Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: Living & working in Brisbane

A quick thankyou to everyone who answered my thread all very helpfull, cant wait to get out there and enjoy the lifestyle and a few tinnies of course

regards to all Greggsy