Reload this Page >

Living In Victoria

Living In Victoria

Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

TRACEY TURTON is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living In Victoria

HI

i wounderd if sombody could give me some advice ...we are hoping to move to victoria in melbourne.. and would like to to know where the best places to live ..we have 2 children ...we dont want to be in the middle of nowhere we were looking at dandenong thankyou
Old Feb 1st 2005, 9:06 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Living In Victoria

Originally Posted by TRACEY TURTON
HI

i wounderd if sombody could give me some advice ...we are hoping to move to victoria in melbourne.. and would like to to know where the best places to live ..we have 2 children ...we dont want to be in the middle of nowhere we were looking at dandenong thankyou
Your not going to be living in the middle of no where anywhere in Melbourne or
anywhere near Melbourne, it is one of most the heavist populated areas in Australia, you will be surrounded my millions of people, the population of Victoria is 5 million. The only way you are going to be in the middle of nowhere is to drive 4 hours to the north West of VIctoria to the Mallee area where few people live.

Last edited by wombat42; Feb 1st 2005 at 9:09 pm.

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:36 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

HI
we dont want to be in the middle of nowhere we were looking at dandenong thankyou
I STRONGLY suggest that you do not look at Dandenong. It is not one of the nicest suburbs. It is one of the suburbs that many Melbournians joke about.

As previously stated it is very hard to be in the middle of nowhere in the Melbourne area, though upon saying that it is very easy to get to areas that feel like that which is nice.

We live near Berwick which is a very nice SE suburb. There are many facilities and shopping nearby. It is an hour from the city. It is about 20 minutes from the nearest beach. It is about 20 minutes from the Dandenong Ranges (Not in anyway to be confused with Dandenong).

The other SE burbs that we have seen and like are Lysterfield, Ferntree Gully (Though be warned there are a few dodgy expats living up there ), Belgrave, Narre Warren.

In terms of work I travel about 40 minutes to the Burwood area (I am in software consultancy). Your career types may be a guiding factor on where you want to live. There are many business areas outside the CBD.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 5:41 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HUP
I STRONGLY suggest that you do not look at Dandenong. It is not one of the nicest suburbs. It is one of the suburbs that many Melbournians joke about.

As previously stated it is very hard to be in the middle of nowhere in the Melbourne area, though upon saying that it is very easy to get to areas that feel like that which is nice.

We live near Berwick which is a very nice SE suburb. There are many facilities and shopping nearby. It is an hour from the city. It is about 20 minutes from the nearest beach. It is about 20 minutes from the Dandenong Ranges (Not in anyway to be confused with Dandenong).

The other SE burbs that we have seen and like are Lysterfield, Ferntree Gully (Though be warned there are a few dodgy expats living up there ), Belgrave, Narre Warren.

In terms of work I travel about 40 minutes to the Burwood area (I am in software consultancy). Your career types may be a guiding factor on where you want to live. There are many business areas outside the CBD.

Hi I'm one of the dodgy expats from Ferntree Gully ( Cheeky Bugger) I'd just like to back up what HUP says. Give Dandenong a miss, we call it dirty Dandenong but not one of the better suburbs to live in.

Also check out the Britvics site for info on suburbs around Melbourne.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:20 am
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HUP
...We live near Berwick which is a very nice SE suburb. There are many facilities and shopping nearby. It is an hour from the city....
Unless you want to be in the city for 8.30am in which case it is a 2 hour crawl. I am living in Narre Warren and working in Richmond...this morning I told them to stick the job as 2 hours to crawl 30/40 odd km is beyond a joke. Unless you're currently living in London you're in for a huge shock when you see the traffic out here!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:26 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest dont live in Melbourne :scared:
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marclewis
Hi

I am writing to you from a TV production company called Ricochet. We are currently producing the fifth series of No Going Back and I am looking for people who are selling up in the Uk and moving abroad to start a new business venture. I would love to hear from anyone who is doing something along these lines. Please contact me on [email protected]
Have I got a good chance of appearing? I have been married more than once; my wife and I wish to move to patch up our troubled marriage by going through one of the most stressful things you can do; we promise to get homesick and start whinging and will run the place down with obligatory comments about how different it is to the UK, what you can't buy, they don't have double glazing and central heating, how hot it is and all the creepy crawlies, they don't do GCSE's and A levels blah, blah, blah, but we will eventually succeed after a rocky start.

We will head for Perth or the Gold Coast (as anyone knows that is where most Aussies live and it is also good for the camera crew and production team); one of the family will return to the UK and then come back etc, you get the drift?

Sorry, this isn't really true but as we are a 'normal' family who will settle in well and enjoy life there and make a success of things I didn't think the producers or your viewers would be interested. Why don't you follow 5 families and get your viewers to vote families out of the country or out of the jungle?

OzTennis
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

melbournebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Katyjoy,
whereabouts in narre warren do u live as we live just of ryelands drive?

Melbournebound

Originally Posted by katyjoy
Unless you want to be in the city for 8.30am in which case it is a 2 hour crawl. I am living in Narre Warren and working in Richmond...this morning I told them to stick the job as 2 hours to crawl 30/40 odd km is beyond a joke. Unless you're currently living in London you're in for a huge shock when you see the traffic out here!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:11 pm
mamacares

amendoza is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=HUP]I STRONGLY suggest that you do not look at Dandenong. It is not one of the nicest suburbs. It is one of the suburbs that many Melbournians joke about.

Hmmm...what's with Dandenong and the joke? Just wondering...?

Hannah
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=amendoza]
Originally Posted by HUP

Hmmm...what's with Dandenong and the joke? Just wondering...?

Hannah
Dandenong (the suburb south east of CBD, not to be confused with the Dandenong Ranges - hills to the east of CBD) was once on the edge of the built up area of Melbourne. Some large US employers i.e. Heinz and General Motors Holden built large factories on the cheap land in Dandenong. Migrants in particular were attracted to the area because of the cheap land and houses and the factory jobs.

Dandenong is now still popular with migrants but they are no longer European and often they are Asian. Dandenong is also no longer an outer fringe suburb as Melbourne has extended 10 to 20 miles further out in that direction. The British migrants now seem to be attracted to further out SE suburbs such as Berwick, Narre Warren etc. My suggestion would be to think carefully about living in a suburb so far out and yet work in an inner suburb (such as Richmond) or the CBD - not unless you like 3 hour round trips per day. Springvale is another one to avoid in that general area.

Sorry to take the thread off track above but the TV 'fella' was leaving messages everywhere about volunteers for his show and I guess I've indicated what I think of programs of that ilk.

OzTennis
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren
I suggest dont live in Melbourne :scared:
According to the news max temp there was 13C yesterday. Call that summer?
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:46 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
According to the news max temp there was 13C yesterday. Call that summer?
It was the coldest day on record for February, so hardly typical. Its not dropped below 30 (apart from one day and during the night!) for 3 weeks, so we do get nice weather. I think i'm right in saying that the east coast got a battering all round?

Dandy is very low rent/ shabby scruffy housing with a lot of social problems akin to the amount of east european etc migrants that are there (*disclaimer, thats not to say every migrant that comes from east europe is dodgy etc etc!!) As are springvale, Doveton and Hallam to name a few.

If you need to be in the CBD then the outer burbs are not going to be very good, however a lot will depend on work

One hour (NONE peak) out of the city gets you to some lovely places with a semi rural/ village atmosphere, but still close to all amenities
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The British migrants now seem to be attracted to further out SE suburbs such as Berwick, Narre Warren etc. My suggestion would be to think carefully about living in a suburb so far out and yet work in an inner suburb (such as Richmond) or the CBD - not unless you like 3 hour round trips per day.
Or alternativley you could take the train, 54 mins!!
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road

HI

I too would say to avoid Dandenong. I lived in Brighton for a while, although this can be expensive. I definitely would recommend living somewhere along the beach though and Hampton, Black Rock and Sandringham are pretty affordable, as well as being on a really good trainline for getting in to the City. There's a nice cafe lifestyle, as well as being close to Southland which is great for shopping
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by wombat42
it is one of most the heavist populated areas in Australia, you will be surrounded my millions of people, the population of Victoria is 5 million. .
Its nearer 4 Wombat. Considering Victoria is virtually 1.5 times the size of Britain who have a population of about 58 million (due to go up to nearer 60 by next year) 8 million of which live in and around London, i think the 3.5 Million that live in and around Melbourne would still feel quite small really

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.