Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Townsville

Living in Townsville

Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of
Default Re: move to townsville?!?!

Been in Townsville for the past 18 months (hubby is from Charters Towers/Townsville). Weather is a huge plus for living here...especially in the winter....beautiful sunny days that are 25C. One of my major complaints is that to go anywhere out of Australia you have to fly to a major city ie. Brisbane/Sydney first...so adds to travel time and cost. We are here for the long haul, both of us in good jobs and our daughter has settled in well and within the next few months we are going to start building our own home. I have no major complaints living here.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Nicolalj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Townsville????

At last flights are booked for Townsville 26th october. Very Exciting
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice

We have been in Townsville for 3 years in December. Its a great location to explore Far North Queensland and we have loved our time here. It is a good place for families but there is no reason why a young couple cannot enjoy it as well. We are moving at the end of the year and am happy to do so as I feel 3 years is long enough in Townsville as it is quite isolated and I feel that we have done everything we want to do. But still a great place to start a new life in Australia.

Good Luck
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

gozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nicegozzey is just really nice

PS I would suggest an apartment near the Strand to live, Kirwan or Riverside Gardens.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

jackie2094 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nicolalj
Gosh! from all the bad reviews about Townsville i am really worried now.unsure: I have accepted a job in the Mater Hopsital and it looks like il be moving there at the end of September with my partner once all visa and things have been sorted.

Is it really that bad?? Im 25 and my partner is 27. A lot of people say its nice for families there but what about couples??

We are coming over on a temporary visa so will only be renting. Does anyone have suggestions about the best places to rent ad anywhere we need to avoid?

Worried we may have made the wrong decision now going by all the reviews, but i suppose we wont know until we try for ourselves.

Would be grateful for any advice off anyone regarding anythin to do with movin to and working/living in townsville.

Cheers

Nicola
Hi, we stayed in Townsy for a few days and had a great time. It is a busy place but none the worse for that and we found everyone to be friendly. Every place has its pros & cons but I think you`ll like it. Good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

twinkletoes35 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have our flight booked to!!!!!!! due to arrive in Townsville 20th October!!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gozzey
PS I would suggest an apartment near the Strand to live, Kirwan or Riverside Gardens.
Hey thanks for the advice. I heard Kirwan was nice. We will need furnished property to start so just going to have to take whats available.

Looking forward to getting there now.

Thanks

Nicola
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

fillinghams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Good luck in Sunny Townsville, we lived there for a couple of years a couple of years ago, before heading back to the UK.

I liked Townsville, for a small city (its a town really) it has a lot going for it and a reasonable amount to do. The Strand the lagoon ,and the water park in what was thurungowa! The strand seems to have something going on most weekends, and with the sport you can keep your self busy there.

The weather is amazing, and the beaches some of the best anywhere. You can explore north Queensland and the barrier reef, and of course magnetic island.

However, you do feel quite isolated, and you really have no where else to go, unlike the UK when you can drive to the next town which will be as big if not bigger than the one you live. In townsville it is the biggest for about 1200 miles. With the other town offering little.

But for day to day living its a great place and as long as you embrace the lifestyle most people to like it.

The locals are friendly, but dont be suprised to find whole families doing the weekly shop roaming round Woolworths without any shoes on. I used to see children at the bus stop on their way to school with shoes, it must be optional. and men with long beards driving a ute with a dog in the back is also a common site.

I hope you have a great time in Townsville, and im sure you will.

Last edited by fillinghams; Oct 3rd 2011 at 8:37 am. Reason: spll
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by twinkletoes35
We have our flight booked to!!!!!!! due to arrive in Townsville 20th October!!!!
Hey Twinkletoes,

Good Luck heading to Townsville, we will arrive there on the 1st. It should be heating up there now.

Nicola
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

fillinghams is an unknown quantity at this point

Areas to live, Kirwan, anywhere near the strand. I liked Rosslea just off charters towers road, and if i was to go back id head there.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fillinghams
Hello

Good luck in Sunny Townsville, we lived there for a couple of years a couple of years ago, before heading back to the UK.

I liked Townsville, for a small city (its a town really) it has a lot going for it and a reasonable amount to do. The Strand the lagoon ,and the water park in what was thurungowa! The strand seems to have something going on most weekends, and with the sport you can keep your self busy there.

The weather is amazing, and the beaches some of the best anywhere. You can explore north Queensland and the barrier reef, and of course magnetic island.

However, you do feel quite isolated, and you really have no where else to go, unlike the UK when you can drive to the next town which will be as big if not bigger than the one you live. In townsville it is the biggest for about 1200 miles. With the other town offering little.

But for day to day living its a great place and as long as you embrace the lifestyle most people to like it.

The locals are friendly, but dont be suprised to find whole families doing the weekly shop roaming round Woolworths without any shoes on. I used to see children at the bus stop on their way to school with shoes, it must be optional. and men with long beards driving a ute with a dog in the back is also a common site.

I hope you have a great time in Townsville, and im sure you will.
Hey Fillinghams,

Thanks for the info. Im sure we will like it. We will suss the place out and move on somewhere else if its not for us but from what i hear I'm sure we will love it.

So you decided to come back to the UK! Thats what family and friends are hoping we do eventually, but who knows.

nicola
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Matthew_Brisbane is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Townsville a few years back. It is a great place if you like the outdoors and doing things during the day.

Magnetic Island is a short boat ride away, you have some lovely beaches in the area (but watch out for stingers) and has teams in the National Rugby League and Basketball Associations for sporting entertainment.

One thing you will get to use to, is driving long distances as you can easily get to Cairns to the North in 4hrs, Mission Beach a couple of hours to the North and the Whitsundays about 2-3 hrs to the South. Also west is Charters Towers which has some fun events throughout the year.

These days Townsville is not to isolated from the Capital of Queensland Brisbane, with only a two hour flight which can sometimes be picked up for around $100 with one of the discount airlines Virgin or Jetstar.

Hope you enjoy it there!!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Townsville????

hi

I posted a similar question a year ago, just before I moved to Townsville.

it is nice here, very humid, which I find annoying. On the plus side, there is a lot to do if you look for it. The Strand is lovely and improving al the time. Flinders street has just reopened and is a nice shopping experience. The shopping centres are easy to use especially Castletown. Stocklands is undergoing a face lift but come see me for a free bra fitting and a chat.

I am really enjoying my life here but have found my working hours and the kids prohibit me getting out and about as much as I would like. There is so much within a couple of hours drive and I can't wait to get out there and see it all.

Hope to see you soon
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Townsville????

I live in Kelso at River parks which is new development. Very nice, fairly quiet, nice walks and close to the dam for a bit of a view and longer walks. It is also easy to get to places thanks to the bypass.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kellz
hi

I posted a similar question a year ago, just before I moved to Townsville.

it is nice here, very humid, which I find annoying. On the plus side, there is a lot to do if you look for it. The Strand is lovely and improving al the time. Flinders street has just reopened and is a nice shopping experience. The shopping centres are easy to use especially Castletown. Stocklands is undergoing a face lift but come see me for a free bra fitting and a chat.

I am really enjoying my life here but have found my working hours and the kids prohibit me getting out and about as much as I would like. There is so much within a couple of hours drive and I can't wait to get out there and see it all.

Hope to see you soon
Hi kellz,

Thanks for that. I'm not worried about com in over as i first was. A lot of people have reassured me on here. it seems like a lovely place and i can't believe we will be there in 3 weeks.

Il let you know how we feel about the place once settled.

See u sooon xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.