Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in London

Living in London

Old Jul 10th 2005, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

uk2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in London

I'm planning on moving to the London area around October 2005 and would like to know about flat-sharing. I will be moving to London alone and would it be awkward to begin flat-sharing with people I just met. What is the cost for mobile phones service in the UK? I'm from the United States and would living in London be a positive experience for me? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:42 am
Just Joined

carakombol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in London

Originally Posted by uk2006
I'm planning on moving to the London area around October 2005 and would like to know about flat-sharing. I will be moving to London alone and would it be awkward to begin flat-sharing with people I just met. What is the cost for mobile phones service in the UK? I'm from the United States and would living in London be a positive experience for me? Thanks for your help.
Well one good place to look is loot.com also craiglist.com (click on 'london') can be good - try this website as well. Mobile phones are cheap, and you usually don't have a service, you buy 'top up' cards and pay as you go. At least some people do - I did. I think this is probably the cheapest way to go - correct me it if I'm wrong. Bottom line is that London will swallow your money in one gulp, so come prepared. I spent an ungodly amount of money there (I'm back in the states now) - for example, for a days pass on the tube your looking at around $8 - sometimes more (ie rush hour). Buses are usually one pound fifty if I remember correctly (or 1 pound i don't recall), and this is much better, but London is so massive that just to get from one burrow to the next on the bus can take you an hour. Who has time for that? AND the tube shuts down so early, that at night I often had a 3 bus transfer/2 hour journey home to lovely Tottenham (NE London). However in reference to the money, I was able to get a 'job' tutoring a little girl, and the pound being so strong, I made a lot of money - $20 an hour and I could have asked for more but chose not to.

Hope that helps!

One more thing is that it can be a little hard to make friends in London, unless your particularly vivacious or have friends there already so flatsharing might be a good way to get your foot in the door and have someone to go have a pint with every now and again and meet more people.

OH! Also they have student monthly tube passes that are good deals if that applies to you I don't remember what they're called thought - some funny name.

So lastly, when you think about London, think about what you pay a month here, and at least DOUBLE that - if you've got that sort'a dough, go for it!

Cara
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:49 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

It might also be a really good idea to put this question in the 'Moving back to the UK forum'

W.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:03 am
Just Joined

carakombol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
It might also be a really good idea to put this question in the 'Moving back to the UK forum'

W.
oh didn't I? I'm new to this forum, I thought that's where my reply would have gone since her message was in that forum!

Cara
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by carakombol
oh didn't I? I'm new to this forum, I thought that's where my reply would have gone since her message was in that forum!

Cara
Don't panic The last time I looked, I would swear that this thread (or a very similar one) was in the moving back to UK forum !! But its now in the Australia forum.

Someone is playing with our minds

Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh this takes me back to my flatsharing days - yikes.

I used to advertise my rooms in loot.com - best place! More upmarket ones will also be in the Evening Standard and Sunday Times. These are less popular though as you have to pay to advertise in them.

HTH
Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by uk2006
I can understand that the prospect of sharing with strangers is pretty scary - but it is also a good way to meet people in a new city! Just insist you meet anyone who shares the house first, trust your instincts and go for a place where you can lock your own room! If you have a job to go to, or pals already in London, its really worth asking if they know anyone who is looking for a housemate/renting a room!