Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living on an Estate. Yay or Nay?

Wikiposts

Living on an Estate. Yay or Nay?

Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:39 pm
Badge

Default Re: Living on an Estate. Yay or Nay?

Some good points.

Many people do live on estates in the UK, nice or not, but the Aussy ones seem to be particularly sterile - I think it is because they are actually very clean and colorful in a way that the UKs are not - bit of gray thrown in adds to the mix. Even America is the same sterile format with its lines of suburbs if not estates.

The reality is that estate-living (in different degrees) on out of town/city areas is now the go everywhere, the ever increasing norm for just about everyone save for a few.

BM

Old Dec 21st 2004, 6:49 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

What is an estate - in Australian English?

I can recognise cities, towns, suburbs, even urban centres.

I even understand the Bristish meaning "a landed property, usually of considerable size".

I read the definition "a housing development" but what defines an "estate"?
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember when most of Greensborough, Eltham and Hurstridge were "souless estates" back in the 70's & 80's....Now they are highly sought after areas and lovely and green and leafy with all the ameneties you could ever need.

New areas always will look souless as they are brand new. They have not had the chance to have the soul develop in them yet. I guess it gives you a chance to put a bit of YOUR soul into your little patch of Australia.

Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

For some reason 'estate' has bit of a negative connotation for me. Probably because of hearing all kinds of negative things about "council estates" - but presume it's also used for developments of houses that look the same or built by the same builder? Or is it just a big development?

In OZ, it's not my preferred choice to live in a McMansion estate. We did take a serious look in the NW of Sydney suburbs - the houses were often massive, but the plots relatively small. We decided to go for smaller house on average '70s size plot (700sq m) more towards northern beaches. I suppose you could call it established suburbia - still boring if you thrive on city life.

I was really tempted by the luxury kitchens, WI 'robes & brand new bathrooms of McMansions - but decided the rest of the situation wouldn't suit us.

We love where we are....but have yuk bathrooms....we'll survive!
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:45 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
I remember when most of Greensborough, Eltham and Hurstridge were "souless estates" back in the 70's & 80's....Now they are highly sought after areas and lovely and green and leafy with all the ameneties you could ever need.

But how big is the average size block in those burbs Hels??

As for "slagging off" Aussie estates, i wasn't. I was merely stating my personal reasons for hating them, much as i hated them in the UK and so would never choose to live in one there either. BTW, many of the new estates are mainly 2 story cos the plots are too small for a decent size single!!

As for the dodgy bathrooms, our new one is soooo lovely now its finished, but the kitchen, the kitchen is PANTS for at least 18 months and the ensuite OMG!!! Everyone who see's it laughs, but one day it will no longer look like a sauna :scared:
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hevs

and the ensuite OMG!!! Everyone who see's it laughs, but one day it will no longer look like a sauna :scared:

Have you got those tiny mosaic type tiles. We have. Ours are in greeny gold in one bathroom and bluey turqoise in the other. So 70s.
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:51 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Have you got those tiny mosaic type tiles. We have. Ours are in greeny gold in one bathroom and bluey turqoise in the other. So 70s.
We used to have but they were sh*t brown. The ensuite is rather more delectable with diagonal yellowed pine boards from floor to ceiling and wood roof AND no extractor
Old Dec 21st 2004, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

But how big is the average size block in those burbs Hels??

As for "slagging off" Aussie estates, i wasn't. I was merely stating my personal reasons for hating them, much as i hated them in the UK and so would never choose to live in one there either. BTW, many of the new estates are mainly 2 story cos the plots are too small for a decent size single!!

As for the dodgy bathrooms, our new one is soooo lovely now its finished, but the kitchen, the kitchen is PANTS for at least 18 months and the ensuite OMG!!! Everyone who see's it laughs, but one day it will no longer look like a sauna :scared:

I never said you slagged anything off....Was just giving my opinion as well....

The block sizes vary quite considerably. Most of them arent much bigger than what you can get now....just average house blocks. The actual dimensions, I dont know....

All I was saying is that once the place develops, the more soul is injected to it by the residents that live there....It can take 10-20 yrs.....but it will be there eventually.

Partlicularly, I remember when Mill Park was a brand new estate....it was horrible!! Smallish blocks, no trees....just really bare. However now, its alot nicer.....
Old Dec 21st 2004, 8:05 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Sorry Hels, that wasn't aimed at you, someone else said we were slagging off estates, not you. I was just asking you the question about block sizes

Heres a piccy of our old bathroom. You can see my boy takes after his Mum
Attached Thumbnails Living on an Estate. Yay or Nay?-nialls-tiles.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2004, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Sorry Hels, that wasn't aimed at you, someone else said we were slagging off estates, not you. I was just asking you the question about block sizes

Heres a piccy of our old bathroom. You can see my boy takes after his Mum

LOL...I would love to demolish our kitchen carpet in much the same way!!

However, as we are just renting, not a very good idea.....