a bit more expensive
19.57%
much more expensive
54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Living Costs Oz vs UK

Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs Oz vs UK

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't understand some of these comments. My way of life here is as near as dammit the same as it was in Herts, let alone presumably how it would be in another State. Apart from the weather obviously. Can someone explain why QLD (massive state of course) is considered hard to live in, why people consider themselves lucky they don't live here. I must be missing something hugely fundamental
As it's been said 'it depends if QLD fits your lifestyle'? Sounds like it does and good for you. My hobby is vehicle DIY and compared to the UK it is a pain in the arse to get anything done here in a brisk fashion plus I have to order most my parts from the UK as the local suppliers take the piss with their prices. I hate the drivers, the roads and the traffic and how it's a little village trying to act like a big city.

As I said ' each to their own'
Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:50 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Only as a cash buyer and if your expectations are lower.
Another of your absurd statements, there was no way in the world our expectations were lower and they far exceeded our high expectations.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:53 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil73
Visit but don't stay, altho as we are all different it may be to your liking. It ain't to mine but I married a QLDer
Queensland is the only State in Australia I would live in, having grown up in Victoria there is no way I could live there again. I dont mind Queensland at all really but I find the people unbelievably parochial as a rule.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As it's been said 'it depends if QLD fits your lifestyle'? Sounds like it does and good for you. My hobby is vehicle DIY and compared to the UK it is a pain in the arse to get anything done here in a brisk fashion plus I have to order most my parts from the UK as the local suppliers take the piss with their prices. I hate the drivers, the roads and the traffic and how it's a little village trying to act like a big city.

But you're not talking about Queensland, you're talking about a town I assume, I don't know where you live. I wasn't actually referring to you, you live in QLD so you know how it works (or doesn't) for you. It was more to Ozzie and Badge (and others over time) who feel it's different here to where they are and whilst they may have visited, many times, who knows, I don't see how it's so different to anywhere else because in my experience, it isn't. I wasn't having a go at anyone, I honestly don't care if other people don't like where I live, I was simply trying to understand the supposed strangeness of the State.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Another of your absurd statements, there was no way in the world our expectations were lower and they far exceeded our high expectations.
You do post some tosh don't you, try reading what came before will you and try to keep up.
Now back to the topic.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:15 pm
Banned

You do post some tosh don't you, try reading what came before will you and try to keep up.
Now back to the topic.
Reread, another of your absurd statements.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Reread, another of your absurd statements.
Ah, you don't read posts in the first place. Makes sense,
Back to the topic then.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Only as a cash buyer and if your expectations are lower.
Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Agree in part as anyone who bought in a capital city awhile back is cashed up and taking advantage of fx rates....there are people who have gone through both booms.once in UK.., and now here...a double bonus...

expectations could be, high, bit of land, detached, study and leafy lane achievable..(etc)

my problem is that the UK price point is still too high for the entire package, I need to be near London and as a matter of fact I am quite fussy..

and Melbourne is a huge pull - also the package we have here is quite hard to find at the price point for us - others may be in the sweet spot quite easily.
But are house prices in Oz at such a high that with a proceeds of that sale you will find such a utopia in the UK?
I can certainly understand the pull of Melbourne and the surrounding area's towards the Dadenongs.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your preference of entertainment QLD is fishing and.............not much else. Soon as it gets dark they all scurry back indoors 5pm winter 7pm summer, and drink loads to make the crap TV interesting.
love it!!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

So if you hate QLD so much, why not vote with your feet or is there something more positive that keeps you there? Like the living costs perhaps?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
But you're not talking about Queensland, you're talking about a town I assume, I don't know where you live. I wasn't actually referring to you, you live in QLD so you know how it works (or doesn't) for you. It was more to Ozzie and Badge (and others over time) who feel it's different here to where they are and whilst they may have visited, many times, who knows, I don't see how it's so different to anywhere else because in my experience, it isn't. I wasn't having a go at anyone, I honestly don't care if other people don't like where I live, I was simply trying to understand the supposed strangeness of the State.
Sorry, shoulda said I live in Brissy so anywhere further out from the supposed 'hub' of QLD is gonna be even worse for me. I visited much of QLD and NSW, Vic, SA, NT when travelling a good few years back and the QLD coast is lovely to visit but beaches aren't my thing for every holiday. I know you weren't having a go. Sometimes you can tell when people are but the wriiten word loses most inflections you have with what you say inside your own head. I'm not having a go either, was just saying good on ya that you like it here. Wish I did but I don't. I miss the 'surrounded by life' feeling of a big city.

As for Chris' use of the word parochial, that is a very good word and polite too. If Oz is 10yrs behind the rest of the word then QLD is 20
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

So if you hate QLD so much, why not vote with your feet or is there something more positive that keeps you there? Like the living costs perhaps?
As I said a few posts back, I think, the wife is a QLDer and I love her lots but I hate this city and state. What can ya do Hopefully we can move to Melbourne or even away from Oz in a few years
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, shoulda said I live in Brissy so anywhere further out from the supposed 'hub' of QLD is gonna be even worse for me. I visited much of QLD and NSW, Vic, SA, NT when travelling a good few years back and the QLD coast is lovely to visit but beaches aren't my thing for every holiday. I know you weren't having a go. Sometimes you can tell when people are but the wriiten word loses most inflections you have with what you say inside your own head. I'm not having a go either, was just saying good on ya that you like it here. Wish I did but I don't. I miss the 'surrounded by life' feeling of a big city.
As you said previously, each to his own. I hope things work out for you.
Yes I recall you saying the wife is a QLD'er, Love's grand aint it
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

But are house prices in Oz at such a high that with a proceeds of that sale you will find such a utopia in the UK?
Yes.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 3:00 pm
Banned

Hopefully we can move to Melbourne or even away from Oz in a few years
Worked for us, all the best whatever you do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.