Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living Costs.....Families please help

Living Costs.....Families please help

Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:51 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs.....Families please help

Originally Posted by jackieh23
I mentioned this in another thread...you cannot compare Adelaide with Perth for either rental cost or purchasing price of property. I am always quoting Perth unless I state otherwise... and I did state Perth in my posts....

And Yes, of course it depends on the size and location of the property but with 1,000 people PER WEEK moving to WA....When over 100 people turn up for a 15 minute viewing of a 3 bed property renting for $550, 13 kms from the CBD you know things are tough...

I didn't make my point too well re the linked report. Real Estate bodies have been quoting much lower median prices for rentals in the Perth metro area. This report's figure is much more accurate IME/O and has been backed up by other Groups.

Basically, be prepared to pay high rent for not much if you can get it is the mantra for Perth...
Unless you're going to go into a profession with inflated wages, I can't see any point in moving to Perth, to be frank. It's really far away from everywhere else in Australia, and as we have seen, unbelievably over-priced. If you really cannot get a rental for less than $2000 per month then you're going to need a couple of chunky salaries, which is why I asked the OP to look at wages first.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks for the posts.....sorry I should have said, we are basing those revised figures on Adelaide now and not Perth. We realise Perth is gonna be a struggle and with what I've heard they have a big of a house shortage, high rent and not many rentals, a few other factors also. So decided Adelaide may be the best place to start, and have visited there before.

I guess some things are still fairly low in my budget so I may have to tweak things a little more.

The rentals I was looking at for a 3 bed house about 20km south of city is about $1700-1800 a month - Adelaide

To GOLDCHOCCYCOIN.......

If I increase my electricity too $93 a month this is working out at $280 per
quater.

I guess Food & Toiletries is a tough one, could be looking at anywhere from $800 - 1000 a month maybe more (will look more into this)

Life insurance I'll need to check.... if not, is my $67 about right, obviously this is really person dependant.

I'll also look more into the medicare and health Insurance set up, charges, fees etc.

Fuel I also thought was a little low, but I had travel for my husband traveling into city, so if he ends up driving the travel can be added to the fuel.

Zen 10.....

I've had a look at projected Salaries and its a bit tricky to pin down, and I would also need super included. The idea is for my husband to work full time, and me 2 maybe 3 days a week covering 12-18hrs a week.

From what I've researched on jobs and we'd be looking at a total income of say $6000 a month after tax etc (thats me doing 12hrs a week), My husband would hope to achieve more but we'll take it as this figure just now, any more is a plus, and less and we may have to rethink.

Certainly having cash to buy cars outright will help, and also running one car, and if I increased to 18 hrs.... we could be looking to gain $900 a month....all things we will need to look more into.

Last edited by samb29; Apr 30th 2013 at 7:21 am.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

We moved back to Perth for a number of reasons but predominantly, the economy in Adelaide IME is stuffed. Part Time work is ridiculously difficult to come by. People are getting laid off in Adelaide left, right and centre. Be very sure before you move that you have work to go to.

Hate to be doom and gloom but it is too far and too expensive for you to get it wrong...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

We moved back to Perth for a number of reasons but predominantly, the economy in Adelaide IME is stuffed. Part Time work is ridiculously difficult to come by. People are getting laid off in Adelaide left, right and centre. Be very sure before you move that you have work to go to.

Hate to be doom and gloom but it is too far and too expensive for you to get it wrong...
Thanks for the reply and info, yeah we need to research more into it, I only have choice of WA or SA. Perth is just out our range, maybe in range once the little one is at school and that's if we didn't have another.

You are right, it is just too expensive to make a wrong choice. We live good in the uk as child care is taken care of by family, we use nursery 1 day a week as its good for them. That way I can work 30hrs a week also and we earn both enough to live fairly good.

Just don't know if we have the funds to life a good standard in oz, not now anyway...5 maybe 7 years down the line is a different story.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Child care would be closer to $400 per month (and a bit less on top of that the more you earn under $110,000).

We pay $40 per day ($320 every 4 weeks) for 2 days here in Brisbane.

Last edited by fish.01; Apr 30th 2013 at 3:36 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

I had a friend and her husband over in belgium from Melbourne, Eltham to be exact.. They spend between $130-160 a week, only the 2 of them, but she makes plenty of cakes/cookies and those kind of things. They both eat 1 meal a day at work....
They said they buy milk at around $1 a litre and bread around $2 a loaf... Where as my parents are in sydney and told me they paid $5 for a bread.... probably organic bread or something like that knowing my mum ;-)
My parents scared me by telling me everything is 5 times more expensive as 20yrs ago when we moved away from sydney and we should rethink moving there, but my friend in melbourne did reassure me and told me you can spend how ever much you like of products...
I think this is a perosnal thing though, so it's not that great to go by someone elses outgoings, although it is handy to have a figure in mind
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
I had a friend and her husband over in belgium from Melbourne, Eltham to be exact.. They spend between $130-160 a week, only the 2 of them, but she makes plenty of cakes/cookies and those kind of things. They both eat 1 meal a day at work....
They said they buy milk at around $1 a litre and bread around $2 a loaf... Where as my parents are in sydney and told me they paid $5 for a bread.... probably organic bread or something like that knowing my mum ;-)
My parents scared me by telling me everything is 5 times more expensive as 20yrs ago when we moved away from sydney and we should rethink moving there, but my friend in melbourne did reassure me and told me you can spend how ever much you like of products...
I think this is a perosnal thing though, so it's not that great to go by someone elses outgoings, although it is handy to have a figure in mind

Hi, agree with you 100% that shopping various from person to person, I know in the UK we spend more than some of our friends with a child also, just depends on what you buy and what you like etc.

A rough guide is what I am after and it seems to be $1000 a month is a good average to start
Old May 1st 2013, 12:46 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
Standard-issue wholegrain is something like $4.50 per loaf in Adelaide. Like anything, we just eat less of it because it is more expensive. The more they put prices up, the less we buy of it.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Coles & Woolies do their own bread and there is nothing wrong with it IMO. In fact, people I have introduced to it are amazed how good it is. And I believe Coles won an award for their multi grain. Best thing - it is nationally only $2.50 per loaf... Fine for sandwiches for lunches. Save the high end bakery jobbies for special occasions...

Plus eating less bread has got to be good for you Zen10 :-)
Old May 1st 2013, 5:50 am
Banned

Coles & Woolies do their own bread and there is nothing wrong with it IMO. In fact, people I have introduced to it are amazed how good it is. And I believe Coles won an award for their multi grain. Best thing - it is nationally only $2.50 per loaf... Fine for sandwiches for lunches. Save the high end bakery jobbies for special occasions...

Plus eating less bread has got to be good for you Zen10 :-)
I'm going to look into Coles multigrain, thanks Jackie. Yes, bread, along with beer, is the biggest culprit for big bellies in my opinion.
Old May 1st 2013, 8:26 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

We use Coles Multi-grain $2.30 a loaf. The white bread is fine for toast too.
Old May 1st 2013, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samb29
Thanks for the reply and info, yeah we need to research more into it,
Yes you do .... how about finding employment first and understanding what type of salary it is you are going to earn.

Originally Posted by samb29
I only have choice of WA or SA. Perth is just out our range, maybe in range once the little one is at school and that's if we didn't have another.
Wrong again ..... assuming you will earn the same in Adelaide compared to Perth is about your 5th mistake. Your first mistake was basing living costs on what you currently pay in the UK with the pound.

Use the search facility. This topic has been done to death and there's a wealth of info from people who have made the move and have shared the knowledge and come out financially on top along with those who haven't.

Sorry to be blunt but you aren't looking at all perspectives yet.
Old May 1st 2013, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again to all the helpful people here who have taken the time to reply with their info.

We have looked more into salaries from job sites, and contacted a few agencies for my husband full time, and me 12 hrs a week and we are still looking at total income of $6000 a month after tax and super included these are for working in Adelaide.

So its gonna be tight from the figures we have managed to build up, of course these are not set in stone figures but there round about what we are looking at.

Few options that will go in our favour are obviously if my husband can achieve a bit more, we only run one car, and buy the car with cash brought over from the Uk, if I were to up my hours to 18 a week.......if all that was possible then by the looks of things we would be ok, if not its gonna be tough, and we may have to look at this once kids are ready for school.
Old May 1st 2013, 12:29 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

If it is going to be a struggle now, before the kids are in school, you need to then factor in school costs for when they do start. A public school will still cost around $420 pa per child for fees, then there's uniform, outings, and all the extras that go with it such as after school sports/activities etc. Then you have OSHC (out of school hours care) which will vary between providers, but we pay $50 per day per child (claim 50% back).

Last edited by rasen78; May 1st 2013 at 12:33 pm.
Old May 1st 2013, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rasen78
If it is going to be a struggle now, before the kids are in school, you need to then factor in school costs for when they do start. A public school will still cost around $420 pa per child for fees, then there's uniform, outings, and all the extras that go with it such as after school sports/activities etc. Then you have OSHC (out of school hours care) which will vary between providers, but we pay $50 per day per child (claim 50% back).
Yeah it won't be an easy ride either when their at school the only advantage would be I could up my hrs. Just an idea I thought of but to work part time 2 days a week within school hrs, and outwidth school hrs, get another temp job around school hrs for the other 3 days.

But yes it still won't be easy,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.