Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living on a complex yes or no?

Living on a complex yes or no?

Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future
Default Living on a complex yes or no?

There appearsto be quite a lot of properties in Oz that are part of a complex. I would be interests in peoples views on living in a complex.

Whilst we were in Oz earlier this year we had a look at a few complexes and were not sure whether we would like to live in one or not. they look very nice but we have 2 kids and there were signs up saying no ball games, no bikes, no skateboards, ect... I kind of got the impression that they wern't very 'child freindly' complexes.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future
Default Re: Living on a complex yes or no?

Originally Posted by funkybuddah
There appearsto be quite a lot of properties in Oz that are part of a complex. I would be interests in peoples views on living in a complex.

Whilst we were in Oz earlier this year we had a look at a few complexes and were not sure whether we would like to live in one or not. they look very nice but we have 2 kids and there were signs up saying no ball games, no bikes, no skateboards, ect... I kind of got the impression that they wern't very 'child freindly' complexes.

A couple who are friends of ours are flat sitting for some friends at the moment as their friends are O/S and their house is being renovated. The flat is in a huge complex. Its situated in Sydney on the west side of south dowling street, other side of the road from the More Park supa Centre, directly opposite more park golf course. We went round for dinner the other night.

Now everybody has there own tastes but how the hell you could live in a place like that is beyond me :scared: OK the complex has 4 swimming pools and a gym, security guards walking around all the time etc etc these guys pay $420/week :scared: the blocks are laid out like lots of hotels and inside it feels like you are in a hotel, i have never experienced anything like it. Definetly not for me, but everyone to themselves. They must be popular as these types of "cult style" complexes are shooting up everywhere
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Living on a complex yes or no?

They are not child friendly and if you like to live your own life the way you like it and DO NOT like being told what to do, then forget it!

If there is an on-site manager, they will be on your back for every little thing. Friends and family have no-where to park and at birthday time, unless they provide a rec room, parties are frowned upon.

Usually you cannot have a small pet and then on the other side, some complexes allow pets and if you do not like barking dogs, you have to put up with them all the time.

We lived in a large complex in inner Melbourne with our four daughters. It was mainly full of first year Asian uni students (no parents) who partied all night and loved throwing each other in the pool all the time and all year round! I lived with earplugs to sleep most weekends.

If you are thinking of buying into a complex then complex managers hate you! They receive a fee for each rental and owner-occupiers mean NO income. We often hear of owners given a hard time from the complex manager. Look for a small complex, no onsite manager and if the homes abut each other, make sure the dividing walls are double brick! :scared:

Gayle
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:53 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

It can be really noisy living in a complex people coming home at all hours of the night. Parking is usually very limited, I live in a small complex of only 4 and eve though it's nice I always feel like it's not really a proper home and can feel a bit holidayish if you know what I mean.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:09 am
wombat42

No way l'd live in one of those " Gated Communties "or whatever they call them. It would be like living in a retirement villiage. They are full of boring yuppie types paranoid about the outside world, crime and burglaries who think they can only be safe living in what resembles a medium secrity prison surrounded by barbed wire and security guards. Living in one might make sense in Johanesberg or L.A but not in OZ.

Last edited by wombat42; Aug 30th 2005 at 1:16 am.

Old Aug 30th 2005, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a complex at the moment and I must say ours is really nice. Yes admittedly the kids can't ride their bikes round but there is a pool and a grassed area for playing ball games. All the houses are detached 3 or 4 bedrommed and it is lovely and peaceful. I can't see us staying here forever but for the time being it is very pleasant and the kids like it here too. Obviously every complex will be different, but we like ours.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I live in a complex of 10 houses most detached with their own gardens. No on site manager. All have double garages and their are 7 visitor parking spaces. 8 of the 10 are owner occupiers and it is a quiet complex no pool or anything like that. We turn a blind eye when parties are happening and cars get parked everywhere but it is not very often.

Residents can park in the visitor parking areas occasionally but cannot on a regular basic. That is the only issue we've had with the tennants leaving cars in visitor slots for weeks at a time. A letter explaining the rules and the consequences if they persisted (vehicles being towed away) soon resolved the problem.

On quite a lot of streets around you see cars parked everywhere and it makes the place look so untidy. We don't have that problem and that is thanks to the body corp rules. Must admit no one can keep a caravan or boat in the complex unless they will fit in the garage as their is just not enough room.

There are no rules regading kids riding around the complex on bikes or playing ball games on the drives and they do. It's pretty safe as it is walled (but not gated) and their is no through traffic.

Their are advantages and disadvantages just like everything else and only you can decide wether it suits you or not.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 7:35 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a complex, and love it, probably because of all the reasons familys dont like it.

We dont have any children around here, so no ball games, no kids getting in the way at the pool, no screaming little dears..no pets (great no barking dogs all night), although we do have a large selection of bars and restaurants.. (and thats why I love it)

Complexs are great if you dont have a family, and want grown up fun...

Shane
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:20 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Howard
A couple who are friends of ours are flat sitting for some friends at the moment as their friends are O/S and their house is being renovated. The flat is in a huge complex. Its situated in Sydney on the west side of south dowling street, other side of the road from the More Park supa Centre, directly opposite more park golf course. We went round for dinner the other night.

Now everybody has there own tastes but how the hell you could live in a place like that is beyond me :scared: OK the complex has 4 swimming pools and a gym, security guards walking around all the time etc etc these guys pay $420/week :scared: the blocks are laid out like lots of hotels and inside it feels like you are in a hotel, i have never experienced anything like it. Definetly not for me, but everyone to themselves. They must be popular as these types of "cult style" complexes are shooting up everywhere
Im with him ^^^^^^^ :scared: .
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

mark937 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by funkybuddah

We rented in a complex at Vicky point and altho they're strict re kids skateboarding on roads etc (sensible really), we found it fab! There were 200+ children at this complex, 2 pools, BBQ areas and a koala reserve where the kids made little dens etc. On a personal level, just to start you off I'd recommend a complex. They can do contracts of 3 mths+, furniture can be hired and its cheaper (3 bed unit $200 p/w). We went through www.seqrents.com.au
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:14 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a lot of would be Aussies live in secure gated complexes

:scared:
but it looks like some of them do allow kids to play ball

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Those places sound awful, I'd rather live on a regular street any day of the week. I've stayed in a residential complex in America and it was very sterile.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

thanks for all your replies. It was very interesting reading the good and bad points on this type of property.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:22 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

I live in a complex and I quite like it - I spend a lot of time there on my own. I think its great because I feel safe and secure there. The neighbours all have kids and they do play outside sometimes, but they're all very well behaved. I've had deliveries made to my house that the property manager has looked after for me, and they keep an eye on the place when I'm away on holiday too. On rubbish days I forgot to put my wheelie bin on the curb they've even put it out for me and put it back again afterwards.
The back garden is my own private area, but the front garden is constantly maintaned to a meticulous level. There's a beautiful pool - and every time I've gone for a swim there I've been the only one around. Just as if it was my own private pool!
I certainly can't complain.

W.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

mark937 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DagBoy
Quite a lot of would be Aussies live in secure gated complexes

:scared:
but it looks like some of them do allow kids to play ball

Cheers,

DagBoy
Looks like someones spent time in Villawood Prison??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.