Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LIVING IN CLEVELAND BRISBANE

LIVING IN CLEVELAND BRISBANE

Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice
Default LIVING IN CLEVELAND BRISBANE

Moved over a year ago, and does anyone feel like me, living over here isn't as great as i thought it would be. with a young family and another on the way, plus wiork, iwe still havent met anyone that i would call friends, i find aussies quite hard to get to know and think it is just the same money wise as it is in England.
I am seriously thinking about going back, because i think i would rather have friends, family and rain, than no friends, no family and sun.
Any advice from fellow brits would be invaluable.
Plus anyone living in the Bayside area of Brisbane QLS, get in touch it would be great to hear from you
thanks Ian
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:19 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LIVING IN CLEVELAND BRISBANE

hi ian try and hang on in there its taken us about 18 months to feel like we live here iv just retured back from the uk for a visit and was really looking forward to going but it wasent how i rembered and i couldent wait to get back here saying that we would like to be closer to the beach and thinking of moviong to cairns ! im surprised you havent met people yet as its brit central round here and sometimes alot easier when you have children to meet people the only aussies im freinds with are those that have moved from other states we also have kiwi freinds and lots of brits if your just wanting to meet the auzzies it will be harder as they will already have there social groups set up.
dont give up it takes time for people to really be a true freind its not a over night thing
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the big IP
Moved over a year ago, and does anyone feel like me, living over here isn't as great as i thought it would be. with a young family and another on the way, plus wiork, iwe still havent met anyone that i would call friends, i find aussies quite hard to get to know and think it is just the same money wise as it is in England.
I am seriously thinking about going back, because i think i would rather have friends, family and rain, than no friends, no family and sun.
Plus anyone living in the Bayside area of Brisbane QLS, get in touch it would be great to hear from you
thanks Ian
Hi Ian

We live in Wellington Point and have been here 2 1/2 years now. Our children will be a lot older than yours by the sounds of it (21, 20, 18, 12) but if you want to meet up just give us a shout.

Amanda
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

We're in Wellington Point. We're originally from Canada and we arrived in Brisbine at the end of May. I have a daughter who is 3.5 years and a son who is almost 11 months now.

If you ever want to meet at the park so the kids can play let me know. I'm not working and don't really know anyone in the area so I'm usually available

Haley
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

would be nice to meet up,
drop us your email details
ian
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:08 pm
Xoe
Bayside Resident

Xoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, hang in there!

Me, hubby, 5 yr boy and twin 1 year girls have been here nearly 3 years, and I am happily settled here now. Have just got back from my first trip back to London, last week, and although it was hard leaving family & friends this is the best place to bring up my family & also live happily myself.

It does take time, hubby still could go back, but all of a sudden things click together, you make a few friends, and start to feel settled.

I am in Birkdale, so pretty close by. I'm happy to meet up for a chat, so drop me a mail.

Xoe
Old Jul 15th 2007, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

thanks Ian
Hi there,

Im feeling just like you, we arrived at the beginning of April, Im 31 husband 35 and we have an 8 year old son. My husband works away 8 weeks on 8 weeks home. Im feeling very unsettled, sent my friend an email before and said someone offered me an all expenses paid complete move back to the UK id snap it up.
I ve even taken up a bloody cleaning job just to get me out of the house and stop pulling my hair out!! I used to be LSA (learning Support Assistant in a college) but because i haven't got a qualification in it i won t be able to do it here without doing a course and we can t afford that at all, as we came with very little to start with. I hate this job its horrible so won t be doing that for much longer!!
I ve met a couple of people from off this website which have been really kind and met me for coffee which was really nice of them. So this site really helps, but im still feeling lost and very down at the moment.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 2:11 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ormrod7
Hi there,

Im feeling just like you, we arrived at the beginning of April, Im 31 husband 35 and we have an 8 year old son. My husband works away 8 weeks on 8 weeks home. Im feeling very unsettled, sent my friend an email before and said someone offered me an all expenses paid complete move back to the UK id snap it up.
I ve even taken up a bloody cleaning job just to get me out of the house and stop pulling my hair out!! I used to be LSA (learning Support Assistant in a college) but because i haven't got a qualification in it i won t be able to do it here without doing a course and we can t afford that at all, as we came with very little to start with. I hate this job its horrible so won t be doing that for much longer!!
I ve met a couple of people from off this website which have been really kind and met me for coffee which was really nice of them. So this site really helps, but im still feeling lost and very down at the moment.
I have only just arrived on June 6th and live in Lota, not too far far from all you guys...would anyone or all like to meet up for coffee in the week. Or in the park at the weekend where we can all get together with kids and hubbys? I think it would lift moral a little. Sarahx
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:01 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SarahJane2007
I have only just arrived on June 6th and live in Lota, not too far far from all you guys...would anyone or all like to meet up for coffee in the week. Or in the park at the weekend where we can all get together with kids and hubbys? I think it would lift moral a little. Sarahx
I second that. We're usually around so we can meet up whenever. We're in Wellington Point, but I have a car so I can go wherever. I will have to bring the kids with me though
Old Jul 16th 2007, 3:35 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few parks along the Wynnum/Manly esplanade. There's the Whale Park at Pandamus Beach but can get a bit crowded on the Weekend. Or there is the Lighthouse playpark at the Bandstand on the shorefront. Wellingtom point has the park at the point. Bit smaller than the others and not as much places to sit, mind you a few camp chairs would do the trick. there are some more but can't think of them right now.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

lissylee is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving from Perth to Cleveland around Jan 2008. It will be sad to leave friends here behind but am looking forward to meeting new friends. Will be looking to join a playgroup with my youngest he is 2 years. I help run a playgroup here. The girls are 4 and 9, I want to enrol them in a guide group if possible.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

To all those unsure,

I lived in Cleveland for 12 months then moved South and can identify exactly where you guys are coming from. Now back in the UK, and believe me its a load of crap, which I am really chuffed I came back to make the decision I am moving back permanently.

Its not the easiest places to settle, but hang in there and try your hardest to start networking, the whole system and climate is different and you need to adjust.

My wife and kids really adjusted, but I went into rejection mode as I couldnt let go off my previous job strings and I worked for some total plank who basically took me for a ride, and treated me like a mug.

Bayside is purely a great area, take a step back and look at it, there is loads of hidden gems to be discovered.
Social networking is something you need to do, what I can see is it does take times, I hear a few expats meet up on parks to chew the fat, not my thing but sure is a way to exchange stories and whinge about nothing.

My thing was fishing and I met a hell of a lot of aussies doing this, and was brilliant in the fact we all went as a family even though we only had a tinny.

Believe me you dont want to come back here.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:42 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I totally understand where the OP is coming from. We thought it would be better there but found it wasn't - just our experience but we were far better off and far happier in the UK.

We moved to Oz thinking it would be far better but are now back in the UK and totally appreciate all it has to offer now.

We lived in Oz for a year and whilst it sure is a beautiful country, I just never felt settled. For us, the wages were crap in comparison to house and food prices. We missed the choice, the holidays, the culture, the humour.

It all depends on what kind of person you are and what you enjoy in life.

Good luck
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:00 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

thanks Ian
Hi,

We fly over on 10th August and are settling in Cleveland so please dont go anywhere - us newbies need you!

I hve a 16yr old step-daughter and also 2 boys aged 6 and 2 so would be nice to meet up with everyone with kids. I was told that it takes at least 2 years to settle in (obviously there are exceptions to this) so have resigned myself to a tough couple of years but I am sure that we can all help eachother out
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:12 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi

Another bunch of newies here, arriving 15th August and mostly lightly settling around the Redland Bay area. We have 2 girls 6 & 14 yrs old. We're looking forward to meeting some new people, so hang in there. I think there are quite alot of us arriving into the Bayside area over August / Sept so brace your selves.

Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.