Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living Away From Home Allowance (merged threads)

Living Away From Home Allowance (merged threads)

Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Away From Home Allowance (merged threads)

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Once I rent I will receive 75k taxable and 45k non taxable, that will give me a take home pay of $104,350.

If and when I come off LAFHA I'm not going to take a 20k paycut so for me to still take home $104,350 my company would need to pay me just short of 150k salary. An increase of nearly 25% for them.
What???? It is still of no consequence to the company if you have LAFHA or not, your salary will be the market rate for your role. If they had your skill in country then that skill would get the same salary.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
What???? It is still of no consequence to the company if you have LAFHA or not, your salary will be the market rate for your role. If they had your skill in country then that skill would get the same salary.
so you're telling me an australian or an expat with pr with the same qualifications and experience would work for 20k less than me doing the same role just because I get LAFHA?

and that if I want to take pr I'll be taking a 20k wage cut?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:06 pm
ABCDiamond

so you're telling me an australian or an expat with pr with the same qualifications and experience would work for 20k less than me doing the same role just because I get LAFHA?

Yes (talking net income). But then again, they would be getting the same gross pay as you. Very few people realise how much tax benefits are available with LAFHA, as it is intended to help you with running both your households.

But also, they may be getting other benefits that you can't get, which may make up some of the difference in your tax benefits.

Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes (talking net income). But then again, they would be getting the same gross pay as you. Very few people realise how much tax benefits are available with LAFHA, as it is intended to help you with running both your households.

But also, they may be getting other benefits that you can't get, which may make up some of the difference in your tax benefits.
fair enough you're all over there so know better than me, I'll be having words with my recruitment agent about his lies though
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:04 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

No mate, I think you misunderstand how it works, to them they are working for the same salary as you, which they are. You are confusing your 'take home' pay with salary. Bear in mind that while you get LAFHA, they also get childcare rebate, family care and, in NSW anyway, do not have to pay for schooling.
If you go PR, if they offer it to you, you stay on the same salary and take the loss of LAFHA but offset by other gains.
DO NOT base all your future plans on gaining a big pay rise to cover LAFHA if, and its a big if, you go PR. It won't happen.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

No mate, I think you misunderstand how it works, to them they are working for the same salary as you, which they are. You are confusing your 'take home' pay with salary. Bear in mind that while you get LAFHA, they also get childcare rebate, family care and, in NSW anyway, do not have to pay for schooling.
If you go PR, if they offer it to you, you stay on the same salary and take the loss of LAFHA but offset by other gains.
DO NOT base all your future plans on gaining a big pay rise to cover LAFHA if, and its a big if, you go PR. It won't happen.
no probs, happy to be corrected.

Last edited by bingobob777; Aug 31st 2010 at 2:19 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Meligy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry guys, just brining up my last question (hope this is OK here):

Originally Posted by Meligy
So, again, for 90-100K salary (w/o super), you think how much I can get deducted from taxes for LAFHA given it's me, wife, and an infant?

My real target is trying to define how much I can budget for the rent when I'm searching, based on how much I'll get saved from paid taxes using LAFHA.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry guys, just brining up my last question (hope this is OK here):
LAFHA for food is the same for 2 adults & 2 kids as it is for 2 adults & 1 kid, so you'll get approximately 15k for that.

Rent will depend on location, but have a look around at cost of renting a 3 bed house in a decent area in whatever city you're looking at and plan on that (52*weekly rent)
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

LAFHA for food is the same for 2 adults & 2 kids as it is for 2 adults & 1 kid, so you'll get approximately 15k for that.

Rent will depend on location, but have a look around at cost of renting a 3 bed house in a decent area in whatever city you're looking at and plan on that (52*weekly rent)
Well, decent area is hard to define, in Sydney a decent area could be defined by the cultural mix and your own affinity with it. To many for example, Bankstown would NOT be a decent area, but to others it is just what they want. 3 bed houses are hard to find below $700pw in 'nice' areas which have good transport links, that is the crux of Sydney housing, transport links are abysmal here so the good ones are high in value/rentals.

WRT LAFHA food element:
These figures may well be different for the current tax year.

2009/10 Fringe Benefit Tax Food component figures are now available at: www.law.ato.gov.au

An example is Two adults and one or two children = $397 per week.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

As someone who just had my first paycheck without LAFHA I can vouch for this, and it's quite a substancial hit, my recent payrise of quite a bit only offset it slightly.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:27 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
As someone who just had my first paycheck without LAFHA I can vouch for this, and it's quite a substancial hit, my recent payrise of quite a bit only offset it slightly.
Ouch!!! But at least you were prepared and had no doubt done your sums to be able to do this right?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:17 am
ABCDiamond

2009/10 Fringe Benefit Tax Food component figures are now available at: www.law.ato.gov.au
Interesting what a google search on that 'exact' phrase produces

"2009/10 Fringe Benefit Tax Food component figures are now available at: www.law.ato.gov.au"

Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Meligy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. What I'm asking is rent not food.
You think in this 90-100 annual range (b4 super) how much I can get "maximum" for LAFHA so I adjust my rent search for it.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:30 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Thanks. What I'm asking is rent not food.
You think in this 90-100 annual range (b4 super) how much I can get "maximum" for LAFHA so I adjust my rent search for it.
Only your potential employer can fully answer that question. As I did mention before, if you are in Sydney use $500pw as a rough guide and work out your finances based on that.
BIG THING TO REMEMBER......you have to ensure that your salary is above the Mininum Salary Level (MSL) stated by DIAC AFTER all your tax concessions have been taken off.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

man777 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you figure that out???

The company pays your salary, the LAFHA aspect is managed by them but is a tax incentive by the ATO for those who have a Permanent residence somewhere else and only intend to stay here temporarily. The salary is the same to the company irrespective of your LAFHA, if anything, with FBT aspects it may work out slightly more expensive for them.

To simplyfy, your salary gets calculated, 9% Super taken off, LAFHA element taken off plus Novated Lease, then you get taxed, then LAFHA and Novated Lease put back on and you are paid.

Here is a basic spreadsheet of the figures you can expect. Just amend the figures to suit your circumstance and LAFHA amounts.

Remember, the food amount is set by ATO depending on family size (if I remember correctly its $371 per week for a 2 ad 1 ch family for Food). The rental amount varies and is agreed between you and your company. Generally for a 2 adult 1 child family I would use $500 per week as a rental example.
Hi Paddyo,

I just spoke to my potential employer and discussed about my offer for Sydney. The offer is for 144000 which includes a pafha allowance of 45000. The guy I am dealing with informed me that take home salary would be circa 8125 per months but i think he applied super on a44000 rather than that without lafha amount. Could you please let me know how much take home would work out and if super is applied on 144000 or on the amount without lafha which is 45000. Yue help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Manoj

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.