Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in Adelaide

Living in Adelaide

Old Jul 14th 2004, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Stompy Spod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Adelaide

Hi! Is there anyone out there who lives or has emmigrated to Adelaide? We are currently applying for a Visa and have thought of Adelaide as a place to live but have heard that not everything there is positive. Some honest views on what its like would be really appreciated. Thanks
Stompy Spod
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

longys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living inadelaide

dont believe everything you here we are hoping to go to adelaide too we have read lots of books and it sounds quite nice
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:09 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

We want to go to Adelaide too and I think it looks wonderful. Try and join the Adelaide Brits forum, they are a great bunch and I persoanlly think its really nice to get in touch, as when you get out there you will aready kind of know a few peeps!!!!!!

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx

Lucy
x
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys! That's really helpful.
Stompy
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Adelaide

Originally posted by Stompy Spod
Hi! Is there anyone out there who lives or has emmigrated to Adelaide? We are currently applying for a Visa and have thought of Adelaide as a place to live but have heard that not everything there is positive. Some honest views on what its like would be really appreciated. Thanks
Stompy Spod

Hi Stompy

We had originally looked at Brissy but now that we are going for a SIR visa we too are looking at Adelaide.
Have you been on the Adelaide Brits Site.
Here's the link
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/index.php?

Where abouts in Cambs are you? We live in Peterborough.

Graham
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Living in Adelaide

Originally posted by Gravyman
Hi Stompy

We had originally looked at Brissy but now that we are going for a SIR visa we too are looking at Adelaide.
Have you been on the Adelaide Brits Site.
Here's the link
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/index.php?

Where abouts in Cambs are you? We live in Peterborough.

Graham
Hey Graham - yup, we live in Peterborough too. Small world!
Yup, have just found the Adelaide brits site. Its cool. Thanks
Stompy
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

don't disregard everthing you hear either!!

All the negatives are worth bearing in mind...you just have to decide whether they impact you, or if they are relevant to you. If not, disregard them, but at least then you are going having made an informed choice, rather than being totally unprepared for the so-called 'negatives'. Also bear in mind one person's negatives are another person's positives. (e.g. weather - Adelaide weather is a negative for me as it is too hot...others love it)

Like all places it has problems. Best thing you can do is work out what you are looking for in a place to live and then weigh up the facts, pros, cons, etc.

Good luck
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
don't disregard everthing you hear either!!

All the negatives are worth bearing in mind...you just have to decide whether they impact you, or if they are relevant to you. If not, disregard them, but at least then you are going having made an informed choice, rather than being totally unprepared for the so-called 'negatives'. Also bear in mind one person's negatives are another person's positives. (e.g. weather - Adelaide weather is a negative for me as it is too hot...others love it)

Like all places it has problems. Best thing you can do is work out what you are looking for in a place to live and then weigh up the facts, pros, cons, etc.

Good luck
Thanks HiddenPaw - that sounds dead sensible to me. I just want people to sock it to me straight so that we can decide for ourselves. Was really annoyed with a friend of ours the other day who watched a documentary about emmigrating to Adelaide and, having seen the negative side, decided not to tell us!!! Was actually cross - because if people don't tell you, you can't make an informed choice. Thanks for your help.
Stompy
Old Jul 14th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stompy

I've sent you a PM.

Graham
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:20 pm
wombat42

l lived in Adelaide for 18 years and moved recently to the west coast of Victoria. The thing l miss most about Adelaide is the Fantastic weather, it is almost perfect, except during summer you might get 10 -15 days where it is too hot. Where l live now in winter it is 12C and raining every second day, in Adelaide during
winter it is 16c-20c every day it hardly rains and the sun is shining most of the time.
Adelaide is an attractive city surrounded by parklands, with the river Torrens flowing through it, with a population a one million
it is not too crowded or too much traffic. The beaches are nice, such as Glenelg and for swimming, but the waves are too small for surfing. There are atractive hills surrounding the city which have many national parks for bushwalking etc. Also houses are alot cheaper then Sydney and Melbourne.
Before you pack your bags l now have the downside,
Adelaide is known as the city of churches, because many people in the eastern states see it as being a boring and conservative place where nothing ever happens, except for a few bizarre
serial killings cases that occoured recently such as the Snowtown
killlings or the bodies inthe barrels case, which made headlines all over the world. adelaide also has the highest number of people
over 60 in the country or retirees, which makes some people see
Adelaide as one large boring retirement villiage. Also there is a very high youth unemployment rate and the general unemployment rate is aslo alot higher then the rest of the county.
Many skilled and educated young people leave to state to find employment.

Last edited by wombat42; Jul 15th 2004 at 7:50 am.

Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Stompy

I was interested to hear that there was a programme about moving to Adelaide on tv!

I watch every thing that's screened about Australia and haven't seen anything about Adelaide yet!!?

Don't say I missed one - what channel was it on, when, how - is it gonna be repeated?
Old Jul 14th 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to add that we too are headed to Adelaide so wanted to wish you all the best. Also ...what was the programme on Adelaide as I must have missed that one and can't work out how!
Susan
Old Jul 15th 2004, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lifestyle of Adelaide

what a couple of folk have said in this topic about positives and negatives . . . whether they apply in your circumstance, or not? . . . is dead right.
Personnally, over the past 35 years, I guess I've lived 20 years on and off in Adelaide.
The summers are hot. The secret is NOT to live in the city, which is built on the coastal plain. Go and live up in the Adeliade Hills, some 1,500 to 2,000 feet up. The altitude just takes the edge off those really hot summer nights when all the crickets this side of the tropic of Capricorn are chirping away all night. You'll find the temps a bit cooler by 3 or 4 degrees . . . enough to get a decent night's kip!
Housing in Mount Barker is going ahead and prices are about $200,000 (75,000 GBP)for a 3 bedroom house on a good sized block to $300,000 (115,000GBP)for a 4 bedroom house on a half acre block (110 yards x 22 yards . . . yes, YARDS!)
Mount Barker has all the major supermarkets . . .at present, 4 . . . and all the main stores, and has 3 Primary and High schools. It is on the South Eastern Freeway and is half an hour's drive at 60 MPH (110 km/h) to the city centre (Adelaide).
Any more info, send me an email and I'll be happy to see what info I can trace up locally.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:07 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for those posts, really balanced. We are thinking of the following areas...Henley Beach, Grange, Brighton, Glenelg and as far south as Hallet Cove. Any feedback on these would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Lucy
Old Jul 15th 2004, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Hi Stompy

I was interested to hear that there was a programme about moving to Adelaide on tv!

I watch every thing that's screened about Australia and haven't seen anything about Adelaide yet!!?

Don't say I missed one - what channel was it on, when, how - is it gonna be repeated?
Hiya!
I'll try and find out for you. As I said, my friend didn't tell me about it (it was his wife who plucked up the courage - but she didn't actually watch it), but I'll try and weadle it out of him.
Stompy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.