British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Little nipper on the way (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/little-nipper-way-118441/)

lorrimer Nov 21st 2002 1:16 pm

Little nipper on the way

We have been reading this board for some time and have found it to be most useful.
My wife and I and our 9 month old baby were finally granted our PR visas in March after four years of trying. We all travelled to Australia in May to validate our visas. Whilst there we purchased some land near Coolum on the Sunshine coast which we hope to build on some time next year.
We have just found out that my wife is pregnant again. Has anyone been in a similar situation of having another baby after PR has been granted? From what I can gather we will either have to travel to Australia to have the baby, or apply for a dependant child visa here in England. If anyone could let us know how much the application fee/processing times for the child visa would be, or could share their similar experiences with us, we would be most grateful.
Thanks

Alan Collett Nov 21st 2002 10:02 pm

Re: Little nipper on the way

Hello Lorrimer.

Firstly, many congratulations!

Your choices are:

1. Baby is born in Australia => baby will have Australian citizenship as he/she will have been born to permanent residents.

2. Baby is born outside Australia => Child visa needed so that he/she has permanent resident status. Fee for Child visa in London - £485, and re the processing time, allow 8 to 10 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by lorrimer
We have been reading this board for some time and have found it to be most useful.
My wife and I and our 9 month old baby were finally granted our PR visas in March after four years of trying. We all travelled to Australia in May to validate our visas. Whilst there we purchased some land near Coolum on the Sunshine coast which we hope to build on some time next year.
We have just found out that my wife is pregnant again. Has anyone been in a similar situation of having another baby after PR has been granted? From what I can gather we will either have to travel to Australia to have the baby, or apply for a dependant child visa here in England. If anyone could let us know how much the application fee/processing times for the child visa would be, or could share their similar experiences with us, we would be most grateful.
Thanks

sophiedb Nov 21st 2002 10:12 pm

Congrats!!!

And a quick note - isn't there an added issue that if born in Australia the child will be "British by descent" rather than British (which will have more impact on *their* kids than your own), but if born in the UK the child won't have much trouble getting full Aussie citizenship one day as would their kids. Or something like that..

I know you're leaving the UK, but it might be something to look into.

Soph

lorrimer Nov 22nd 2002 2:10 pm

Thanks very much for your replies.
Alan, if and when the new child visa is issued, is it normally subject to the same time constraints and conditions as our PR visas, or do they not worry about trying to make it coincide?
Thanks very much for your help