Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Little nipper on the way

Little nipper on the way

Old Nov 21st 2002, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

lorrimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Little nipper on the way

We have been reading this board for some time and have found it to be most useful.
My wife and I and our 9 month old baby were finally granted our PR visas in March after four years of trying. We all travelled to Australia in May to validate our visas. Whilst there we purchased some land near Coolum on the Sunshine coast which we hope to build on some time next year.
We have just found out that my wife is pregnant again. Has anyone been in a similar situation of having another baby after PR has been granted? From what I can gather we will either have to travel to Australia to have the baby, or apply for a dependant child visa here in England. If anyone could let us know how much the application fee/processing times for the child visa would be, or could share their similar experiences with us, we would be most grateful.
Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2002, 10:02 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Little nipper on the way

Hello Lorrimer.

Firstly, many congratulations!

Your choices are:

1. Baby is born in Australia => baby will have Australian citizenship as he/she will have been born to permanent residents.

2. Baby is born outside Australia => Child visa needed so that he/she has permanent resident status. Fee for Child visa in London - £485, and re the processing time, allow 8 to 10 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by lorrimer
We have been reading this board for some time and have found it to be most useful.
My wife and I and our 9 month old baby were finally granted our PR visas in March after four years of trying. We all travelled to Australia in May to validate our visas. Whilst there we purchased some land near Coolum on the Sunshine coast which we hope to build on some time next year.
We have just found out that my wife is pregnant again. Has anyone been in a similar situation of having another baby after PR has been granted? From what I can gather we will either have to travel to Australia to have the baby, or apply for a dependant child visa here in England. If anyone could let us know how much the application fee/processing times for the child visa would be, or could share their similar experiences with us, we would be most grateful.
Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2002, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future

Congrats!!!

And a quick note - isn't there an added issue that if born in Australia the child will be "British by descent" rather than British (which will have more impact on *their* kids than your own), but if born in the UK the child won't have much trouble getting full Aussie citizenship one day as would their kids. Or something like that..

I know you're leaving the UK, but it might be something to look into.

Soph
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

lorrimer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for your replies.
Alan, if and when the new child visa is issued, is it normally subject to the same time constraints and conditions as our PR visas, or do they not worry about trying to make it coincide?
Thanks very much for your help