Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Little man looks set for big win.

The Little man looks set for big win.

Old Oct 9th 2004, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Little man looks set for big win.

Political commentators calling it already, the little mans back in, aus's strong economy looks set to continue.

Pity the poor taxi driver who picks up the other fare tonight
Old Oct 9th 2004, 10:52 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Little man looks set for big win.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Political commentators calling it already, the little mans back in, aus's strong economy looks set to continue.

Pity the poor taxi driver who picks up the other fare tonight
Political commentators pah! They said the $ would weaken (meaning I get a better exchange range for my £'s). What do they know?

Will the result be announced tonight then?
Old Oct 9th 2004, 10:54 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wmoore
Political commentators pah! They said the $ would weaken (meaning I get a better exchange range for my £'s). What do they know?

Hes almost there, he should give his winnibg speech within couple of hours.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore

Looks like it, they were calling a howard win before the folks in WA had even stopped voting! Thought that was a bit premature but looks pretty clear cut now. Seems most people were very happy with australias economy and didnt fancy risking it. Australia released brilliant economic figures and low unemployment results on Thursday that might have helped Howard win too.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 11:10 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Looks like it, they were calling a howard win before the folks in WA had even stopped voting! Thought that was a bit premature but looks pretty clear cut now. Seems most people were very happy with australias economy and didnt fancy risking it. Australia released brilliant economic figures and low unemployment results on Thursday that might have helped Howard win too.
I think a lot of shit can be forgiven if the economy is in decent nick, people have money in their pockets, etc.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 11:44 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hes got an increased majority too. Not bad going for a fourth term in office. Looks like labour are paying big time for those huge interest rates when they were in office.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 11:58 am
ABCDiamond

Mark Latham has just done his "concede defeat" speech.

It's over.

Old Oct 9th 2004, 12:01 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Mark Latham has just done his "concede defeat" speech.

It's over.
It aint over till the fat lady sings...so when she coming on

BTW; Did you see Latham "front up" to Howard yesterday?

Old Oct 9th 2004, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank heavens John Howard has won. Australia is the better for it!
Old Oct 9th 2004, 1:41 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The significant issue in the election today (aside from the re-election of the Coalition) is the additional seats gained by the Coalition in the Senate. Traditionally the Coalition has had to broker a deal with minor parties in the Senate to ensure some its more controversial legislation wasn't blocked; it looks like the Coalition will get at least 38 out of the 76 seats in the Upper House (thanks to the collapse of the Democrats vote) ... so expect the sale of Telstra and some of the more controversial workplace relations laws to come through in the next 12 months.

Best regards.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
... so expect the sale of Telstra and some of the more controversial workplace relations laws to come through in the next 12 months.

Best regards.
Yes, the old Australian Workplace Agreements. Looks like I'll be called out on strike again
Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:59 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Can't pretend I know too much about either party however as a newbie to Aus, Latham's past history didn't look too promising to me. Latham gave Howard a good run for his money ....however Latham doesn't come accross as the sharpest knife in the draw

What are these "controversial" workplace relations laws you talk about Alan?

One thing I have noticed is whilst unemployment seems to be low in Aus, I wonder how many employees are on temporary contracts i.e is low unemployment in Aus masked by many long term temp contract workers?

It seems to be the "done thing" to keep Aus employees on temp contracts for years which in itself creates social instability, compared to UK where thankfully laws have prohibited this to the degree it seems to occur in Aus.

Perhaps this is just my perception? I don't actually have any facts / figures to back up this gut instinct but would be interested to know if anyone has

Old Oct 10th 2004, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

The chocaholic household is extremely pleased with this result....
couldn't have imagined having Latham lead this nation!
Old Oct 10th 2004, 3:31 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that worries me, is did you vote for John Howard, or peter Costello, this smug faced "barstad",when he takes over at the end of the year, will tax this country too its knees......... mm
Old Oct 10th 2004, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

We're not yet citizens, so unable to vote for now, but I would have voted for the Liberals. In three years time we will be able to decide whether the Liberals have come true on the promises we find important, so if taxes are raised significantly in the meantime - there will be consequences, don't you think? 3 years is a short time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.