Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Little Englanders

Little Englanders

Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:39 am
owieb

Originally posted by pagey
I might look out of place but i`ll without a wife , mrs pagey would gib me immediatly if i even mentioned wearing a thong
:scared:
Some places do have signs up saying no thongs allowed, but on the whole you should be okay to strut around in them!

Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
Some places do have signs up saying no thongs allowed, but on the whole you should be okay to strut around in them!

There`ll be a sign going up in my house saying no thongs allowed ( well on men......) sorry love
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I just can't help laughing at it all...

people being judged for their clothes and footwear?..oh puleeeze!!!

God help you if anything important ever happens in your life!!!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

Do / Would you let your hubby wear a thong?
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:17 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

i think people on here are mad if they ignore other brits when they arrive in australia in some mad example of pc behaviour gone too far.

all other migrant groups in oz and overseas stay together for a reason. it provides support in a difficult circumstance and allows access to services more friendly to the group. the turks, greeks and italians etc are not stupid and we would be best to follow their example to a point.

moving to the other side of the world is'nt easy and a lot will need from time to time a little help and support. If you have access to a community that understands and empathises with your circumstances then it will be of benefit to you.

too many people want to knock the brits when you are overseas and postings like this just add fuel to the fire and maybe people think we must only mix with aussies. just remember where all the aussies live in london i.e. earls court so imitating their style is surely a complement.

Last edited by dugongs; Jan 14th 2004 at 9:21 am.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

My husband can wear what he likes...i am not his keeper.

But i think i'd draw the line at nudity!!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dugongs
i think people on here are mad if they ignore other brits when they arrive in australia in some mad example of pc behaviour gone too far.

all other migrant groups in oz and overseas stay together for a reason. it provides support in a difficult circumstance and allows access to services more friendly to the group. the turks, greeks and italians etc are not stupid and we would be best to follow their example to a point.

moving to the other side of the world is'nt easy and a lot will need from time to time a little help and support. If you have access to a community that understands and empathises with your circumstances then it will be of benefit to you.

too many people want to knock the brits when you are overseas and postings like this just add fuel to the fire and maybe people think we must only mix with aussies. just remember where all the aussies live in london i.e. earls court so imitating their style is surely a complement.
I totally agree with you dugongs, there's absolutely nothing wrong with associating with like-backgrounded people and it shouldn't be looked down upon (or down under!). I suppose the point is that you would expect Brits or any other nationality to seek out 'their ain folk' soon after migrating but naturally as time went on they would acquire more friends of other nationalities (without losing their early contacts). As you say it can provide a support mechanism and contacts during a difficult process.

Frankly I would call the person who gets off the plane and is straight into a clone of an Aussie image a phoney (be it shorts, singlet, she'll be right, beer swilling or whatever people think it means).

OzTennis
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Why not, Aussies do it too...Earls Court is a mecca for them...a real fair dinkum, antipodean ghetto
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
My husband can wear what he likes...i am not his keeper.

But i think i'd draw the line at nudity!!
Id better not say anything, or I will get in trouble
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Id better not say anything, or I will get in trouble

Believe me..he needs keeping under wraps..i'd get deported!!!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 11:16 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I try to get Dagboy to unveil as much as possible, but to no avail
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

When we were in Brisbane there was a large Scottish community in Ormiston on the Bayside. The programme the other day on the TV showed there was a Welsh community in Melbourne. In Brisbane the Greeks, Irish, Germans, Polish, Chinese and Turkish all have community centres or clubs to support their expats. It seems to me the only nationality that does'nt do this is the English (apart from taking over the local soccer club that is !). And I mean English not the British as the Welsh, Scots and Irish all certainly stick together.

Maybe the reason for this is the same pathetic attitude shown here by the original poster who is happy to sneer at brit expats who dare speak to another brit. What a joke. The phrase "little Englander" is a term of derision in the UK and yet the type of behaviour this is meant to describe is exactly that used by nearly every other nationality when they settle in a foreign country include oz. As mentioned previously, even the much hyped aussies choose to settle together in London for example and even have to open bars to cater for their taste in very fizzy lager.

Perhaps thats why these other nationalities are far more successful and less return home as they have access to a taste of home from time to time and can share their problems and obtain support when it is needed with like minded people.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:06 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
At the end of the day people are choosing to live in a different country and therefore they should make every effort to adapt to the Australian way of life and to the Australian culture.

IMO if people aren't going to make the effort to integrate then they shouldn't be here!

Otherwise the place will end up with pockets of communities that are no different from the countries they originated from.

I'm a great believer in the "When in Rome, blah blah" and will do my upmost to adapt to Aussie life/culture.
But try replacing "Australian" in your quote with "UK". And thats one of the reasons this country is slowly going down the pan.
And no, i'm not a racist.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:08 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

I've enjoyed reading the interesting comments on this thread.

I do wonder if some people are a little cautious of being over friendly with other expats. Is this because it is thought that it may lead to a lifestyle which would become insular? This in turn playing a pivotal role in the ultimate success or failure of the whole jaunt, as it were.

Some of the post's suggest that the English are less likely than any other nation to 'band together'. I believe this to be true, which considering we are, in general, a pretty patriotic bunch, quite surprising.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:09 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Pagey, I guess someone should now tell you that what you know as thongs and what Australians know as thongs are quite different. It is quite normal for men to wear black rubber thongs on the beach, around the city, in shops and even at work in some informal workplaces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.