Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Littering culture - an import from the UK?

Littering culture - an import from the UK?

Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Brisbaneguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Littering culture - an import from the UK?

Dear friends

I have been a passive reader of this forum for quite some time. I emigrated 2 and a half years ago, starting at perth for a short perioud then Melbourne for a year and now Brisbane.
When landing in Perth I was astonished as I couldn't find one piece of litter anywhere! including the freeways out of the city and the bush areas. However, the east coast, Melbourne Sydney and Now sadly more and more Brisbane - become in my eyes more and more littered. Beer bottles, McDonnalds food wraps and the sort. It terrifies me to see this phenomena that I really hated in the UK, especially London, prevelant in Australia as well.
Do you think that it is a type of behaviour we import from the UK? (after all immigrants from the UK are the biggest group after new zealand, not to mention the number of aussies in the UK coming back home).
It tear my heart to see Brisbane, who I used to think of as very clean, looks like a slum after each weekend.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Brisbaneguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Littering culture - an import from the UK?

I see I am the only one who cares about it?
Maybe my assumptions are correct then.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbaneguy

We surf off places like point cartwright, after big storms the beaches are totally, as in cant see the sand totally covered in rubbish, everything from millions of soft drink bottle tops, milk tops, to plastic bits off packaging, certainly not stuff like the odd tennis ball or shoe thats got lost on the beach, just pure rubbish. Anyway it pees me off because that sort of stuff is killing the marine life that has its rightful place in the sea.

As for the maccas culture, yes its lobbed everywhere, usually out of car windows, cig butts too, most bushfires are caused by that little habit. But not I dont really think its the infulx of poms doing it, too much of it for that.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 25th 2006 at 1:33 am.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:40 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Brisbane is that bad, though presumably after a weekend it is pretty grim, though not as much as Sunday mornings in London.

The biggest change in Brisbane CBD isn't so much the litter but the amount of people hanging around aimlessly. It seems there is a lot more of this than there used to be around the Queen St/ Albert St junction in particular (corner by Hungry Jacks). I don't think the new underground toilet block has helped leaving a large 'void' which is always filled with people with black dyed hair, striped tops and bad masscara; and you should see the girls

Perhaps I'm becoming old...
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
I don't think Brisbane is that bad, though presumably after a weekend it is pretty grim, though not as much as Sunday mornings in London.

The biggest change in Brisbane CBD isn't so much the litter but the amount of people hanging around aimlessly. It seems there is a lot more of this than there used to be around the Queen St/ Albert St junction in particular (corner by Hungry Jacks). I don't think the new underground toilet block has helped leaving a large 'void' which is always filled with people with black dyed hair, striped tops and bad masscara; and you should see the girls

Perhaps I'm becoming old...
I love the cops that sit there on the wall by hungry jacks, asked them a question once, dunno says helpful duo , asked the emos, thats them with the bad mascara, very helpful had us sorted in seconds
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Dear friends

I have been a passive reader of this forum for quite some time. I emigrated 2 and a half years ago, starting at perth for a short perioud then Melbourne for a year and now Brisbane.
When landing in Perth I was astonished as I couldn't find one piece of litter anywhere! including the freeways out of the city and the bush areas. However, the east coast, Melbourne Sydney and Now sadly more and more Brisbane - become in my eyes more and more littered. Beer bottles, McDonnalds food wraps and the sort. It terrifies me to see this phenomena that I really hated in the UK, especially London, prevelant in Australia as well.
Do you think that it is a type of behaviour we import from the UK? (after all immigrants from the UK are the biggest group after new zealand, not to mention the number of aussies in the UK coming back home).
It tear my heart to see Brisbane, who I used to think of as very clean, looks like a slum after each weekend.
How can you blame this on the UK? Bizarre.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:51 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I love the cops that sit there on the wall by hungry jacks, asked them a question once, dunno says helpful duo , asked the emos, thats them with the bad mascara, very helpful had us sorted in seconds

I always wondered what to call that 'group'. Is that emos as in 'eeemos' or as in 'emmos' and where is the word from?

I always thought they were sort of goths, though I think you need more than very tight jeans and a pair of Converse to be a 'real' goth.

I think you are probbaly right on these 'emos' being more friendly and useful than the cops. I mostly see the police hassling the rare Aborignial or moving on youths.

While on the subject, what is it with that modern social scourge the police jaywalking trap? I saw a couple of cops 'hiding' at the corner of Elizabeth and Albert last week at lunchtime waiting to fine those dangerous criminals $35 for stepping out when the red man was flashing.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Emo has become a confusing word for me in our household..

Is that not a cute little Muppet which my daughter likes to play with?

Or an environmentally friendly cleaning system as used by Chief?

Or a chocolate biscuit..
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have emos in the UK?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:08 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

There are some others that care

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wombles

Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I always wondered what to call that 'group'. Is that emos as in 'eeemos' or as in 'emmos' and where is the word from?

I always thought they were sort of goths, though I think you need more than very tight jeans and a pair of Converse to be a 'real' goth.

I think you are probbaly right on these 'emos' being more friendly and useful than the cops. I mostly see the police hassling the rare Aborignial or moving on youths.

While on the subject, what is it with that modern social scourge the police jaywalking trap? I saw a couple of cops 'hiding' at the corner of Elizabeth and Albert last week at lunchtime waiting to fine those dangerous criminals $35 for stepping out when the red man was flashing.
Emo as in rhymes with Nemo the fish Emo short for emotionals. If you thought teenagers were not emotional enough already some have to display it by wearing black stockings, make up and using black hair dye, odd socks and lace are popular too, quite worring on a 13 stone pimply lads however dont mention it as part of the culture can be wrist slitting, but only in very dedicated members Thankfully our lot claim that look is 'gay' well whats not if your a teenager so have stuck to the grommet look.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they were goths. What does emos mean? They hang around outside the Wesley Mission in central Perth. I saw one guy wearing a top hat, black mascara & a long leather coat. He looked like one of the zombies from 'Live & let die'. They always look so miserable. We need some punks to brighten things up. Yep, I am getting too old.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:32 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
There are some others that care

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wombles

That's not Emo, they are Wombles.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:33 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

That's not Emo, they are Wombles.
Correct and they care about litter
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Correct and they care about litter
They pick it up off Wimbledon Common and export it to Brisbane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.