Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

list of things to shock PB!!

list of things to shock PB!!

Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:07 pm
Badge

Default list of things to shock PB!!

whenever someone returns from overseas incarceration eg. Terry Waite, Nelson Mandela, they always publish a list of what life was like when they were first "captured"..to illustrate the differences and what is likely to amaze them:

so here goes - for PB!!

in 1992...

-UK had just been kicked out of the ERM
-Major was PM
-I was at Uni!!

any ideas of a price of a pint of beer?!

PB would have "missed":

Diana's death
Queen mother's death
Inauguration of the Premiership??
Blair's Britain
National Lottery

any more?

badgers

Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:22 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: list of things to shock PB!!

I was just 11 so I don't know what a pint of beer cost in 1992

Here's my contribution anyway:

Scottish and Welsh devolution
Pop Idol
Tony Martin and the "protecting your home" debate
The end of the BT and British Gas monopolys
The rise of Asda Walmart and "all-in-one" superstores
Old Aug 13th 2003, 2:11 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Real ale sales down
Wine sales up
All Bar Ones and other pub chains have taken over town centres, although Starbucks and Pret-a-Mangers are making a fight of it.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 2:59 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by mika24me
Pop Idol
Nobody would miss Pop Idol!
Old Aug 13th 2003, 3:18 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Nobody would miss Pop Idol!
My brother spent 18 months in Thaliand during the first pop idol and he knew nothing about it when he came back!
Old Aug 13th 2003, 3:33 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by mika24me
My brother spent 18 months in Thaliand during the first pop idol and he knew nothing about it when he came back!
I knew nothing about it while I was here!
Old Aug 13th 2003, 3:56 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

The rise of Water Meters !

The Rise and Fall of those black things on top of tellies to get digital and then bust?

The rise in Rates, A B ....up to E bloody areas

The rise in train fares and fall in places on them to sit

goodness there are more but I am in a good mood....hee hee
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:23 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by badgersmount
whenever someone returns from overseas incarceration eg. Terry Waite, Nelson Mandela, they always publish a list of what life was like when they were first "captured"..to illustrate the differences and what is likely to amaze them:

so here goes - for PB!!

in 1992...

-Major was PM
-I was at Uni!!

PB would have "missed":

Diana's death
Queen mother's death
Blair's Britain
National Lottery

any more?

badgers
I was at Uni too in 1992 and as far as I can remember, a pint of Snake bite and black cost about £1.20, and a pint of ale cost £1.30 in our student's union. It was subsidised, so add a few more pence onto that. Mind you, being an old fart, I'm sure PB will find a working man's club somewhere in the Midlands that he can get a cheap pint.

Don't forget that quality soap opera Eldorado! :scared:
Old Aug 13th 2003, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

porkchop is an unknown quantity at this point

Back in 1992 HIV was thought just to be a fad, but it seems to be very popular now.

PC
Old Aug 13th 2003, 11:41 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount

so here goes - for PB!!

in 1992...

-Major was PM
-I was at Uni!!

PB would have "missed":

Diana's death
Queen mother's death
Blair's Britain
National Lottery

any more?

badgers

Been so full in Australia that most of that passed me by , I mean building sand castles on the beach is a full time job , just tried to think whats happen in Australia in the last 9 years but bugger all covers it.