Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of documents/proof to take

List of documents/proof to take

Old May 2nd 2005, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default List of documents/proof to take

Hi there guys

Enjoying the weather - it is lovely and sunny here.

Have just been wondering what people would advise us to take in the way of documentation, e.g no claims bonus, bank statements, school reports, medical reports, etc. What did people find that helped them when they first got there. I would like to build a list and then post it here so that others can look at it and use it as a check list, so any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Sarah
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List of documents/proof to take

Hi,
I'm not there yet so I can't really help but I think what you're doing is a great idea so bumping it back up the top for you. I'd be interested in any replies.
Tracey.
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

samer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Hi there guys

Have just been wondering what people would advise us to take in the way of documentation, e.g no claims bonus, bank statements, school reports, medical reports, etc. What did people find that helped them when they first got there. I would like to build a list and then post it here so that others can look at it and use it as a check list, so any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Sarah

Good Idea,

Sam
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

I've spoken to our doctors surgery they are charging us £50 to photo copy our medical records, thats 2 adults and 2 under 4's, all been fairly health through our lives..!!!
Old May 2nd 2005, 7:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

A letter from your bank or Ex Landlords to say your rent / mortgage has all been paid on time etc might help when looking for property to rent.
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Hi there guys

Thanks

Sarah
grand idea dont know myself so i will be keeping a close eye on this one

G_man
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Hi there guys

Thanks

Sarah
Hi Sarah,
We've only been here since mid-March so this is all fairly fresh in my head. Definately bring proof of no claims bonus for car insurance purposes, and if you're a member of the AA then you can transfer membership over to RACQ.

We brought a heap of bank statements, and they've not been useful at all. We went to the ANZ (mostly because they offer an account where for $5.00/month you can use their hole in the wall machines as often as you want and they don't charge, unlike other banks.) and they were very helpful.

If anyone has a cerificate of citizenship bring the original (my mum had to send mine over).

When you apply for anything official, (bank acc. medicare card, rental lease etc), they ask for 100 points of ID. I thought my Aussie passport and British passport would be enough, along with my UK driving licence, birth certificate etc, but no! Caused a bit of a headache when we first arrived, hence the certificate being sent to me.

My situation was a little different to Mr Logan's. He has a skilled visa, and everything was quite simple for him. I haven't lived here for about 15 years, and constantly had to prove that I'd severed all ties with UK. Especially with Medicare!!! So I showed the furniture removal itinery and receipt, and the receipt for shipping our cats over, and the letter from my old employee advising me of my last date of employment.

I know this is a slight ramble, but it's as it's popped into my head!

We didn't bother bringing over medical info. based on advise I read here, and we've not needed it. My doc. wrote down the main ingredients of my pill so I could get one fairly similar. Doc. here said they're a little behind the UK, but reckons there's one not too different.

We brought the cats vaccination cards and micro chip no.s for the vet, and then my vet e-mailed their history.

We had the letter from previous landlord to state we'd paid all rent on time, and had received full deposit back.

Basically when we had our 'list of things to do', we carried a bag with all our important documents, and when someone wanted the bloody 100 points of ID we'd just pull everything out and tell 'em "this is all we've got, take your pick".

Sorry again for the ramble! It's early!
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:17 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah,

In addition to bringing paperwork with us, we also scanned it all and uploaded it to our internet based email account (with lycos you get a reasonable amount of free storage space - it's been invaluable!); it's useful in case your bags suddenly disappear en route - you still have records. (The online drive has been particularly useful in the job search too, as I have my CV stored there and it doesn't matter which t'internet caff I use, I still have all my documents to hand - soooooo useful when you don't have a laptop and are waiting for a PC to arrive.)

Anyway, what to bring:

Medical records - can be expensive to get copies of and, we found, have not been asked for when registering with a doctor over here. We didn't bring them.
Insurance no claims letters - car, contents - the whole schabang!
Letters from previous landlords - confirming that rent was paid in full, on time and that the property was left as found.
References from previous employers - we have found these are usually followed up on again, but have been asked for as an initial indicator. Useful for temp jobs.
Copies of educational or vocational qualifications - not been requested yet, but may be relevant depending on industry?

As Logan said - you'll find yourself carrying an office. I now have the world's biggest handbag with four different A4 sized zip comparments and it acts as a mobile filing cabinet - very useful! (Though I look a bit of a numpty carrying it. Hey ho.) I found that my passport is the most requested piece of ID (hubbie and I are on a 136 skilled independent visa) and carried it everywhere for the first month.

Hope that helps.
GG
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

bump. Good thread and I need these reminders.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there guys

Thanks

Sarah

Hi

I brought
an extra set of birth certificates(just in case someone needed the original sending)
immunisation records for the kids (not charged for these from doctors)
documentation regarding no claims bonus
employer references
character references
last couple of bank statements
childrens gcse results

I wanted to try and cover every eventuality