Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Line rental and broadband ( optus month to month)

Line rental and broadband ( optus month to month)

Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future
Default Line rental and broadband ( optus month to month)

We are about to move into a rental and will need to connect a phone (£299)

We are then looking at Optus month to month plan as it seems to be on ADSL2 but without committment.

Downside is you need to pay for a home phone plan as well as the month to month broadband

Anyone know if there is also a rental to pay like in the UK or do the home phone plans here include the line rental.

IF anyone using the optus month to month broadband any other comments appreciated eg can you add a wireless modem instead of the including wireless one.
Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line rental and broadband ( optus month to month)

Originally Posted by Iando
We are about to move into a rental and will need to connect a phone (£299)

We are then looking at Optus month to month plan as it seems to be on ADSL2 but without committment.

Downside is you need to pay for a home phone plan as well as the month to month broadband

Anyone know if there is also a rental to pay like in the UK or do the home phone plans here include the line rental.

IF anyone using the optus month to month broadband any other comments appreciated eg can you add a wireless modem instead of the including wireless one.
Thanks
I am on the optus fusiion $99 plan, this includes 20g download (not sure on connection, but is wireless, home phone with free calls to mobiles, local, national but exludes international, I pay extra 10 bucks to get cheap UK rates and my bill is usually around $130 a month mark, including UK calls.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

karensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to allkarensoutherden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joho
I am on the optus fusiion $99 plan, this includes 20g download (not sure on connection, but is wireless, home phone with free calls to mobiles, local, national but exludes international, I pay extra 10 bucks to get cheap UK rates and my bill is usually around $130 a month mark, including UK calls.
we have a telstra phone line most expensive bill $40.00 per month we then use 3 broadband payg $15.00 per month and buy a $10.00 card from post offfice for calls to uk.
karen
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

hi

Check out the iinet website.

I've got their "naked" plan- really fast wireless broadband and all local and national calls (VOIP) included- $49 per month. Modem is a bit pricey but it's fairly good and at least it's yours to keep. No long contract.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

Yes iinet looks the one i am going to try

Seems i am stuck with Telstra on their budget plan ($20 pm) as otherwise they charge another $100 as they will see it as a temporary connection. With the property rental being 6 months i may as well leave it.

I can then get iinet without a contract and pay $50 pm v $90 with Telstra (24 month contract although 1/2 price year 1)

Thanks all for the help
Old Aug 17th 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

If you do end up eventually go with iinet please bear in mind that it takes ages re connection for the "naked" plans so you should be making contact with them at least 6 weeks before you actually want the service.

Regards
Old Aug 17th 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Just been doing more research on iinet site, seems they can organise connection as well so for speed and ease - going to see if i can cancel Telstra tomorrow and get it all via iinet.
Not naked ADSL so hopefully a bit quicker for the install! - thanks