Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Likes & Dislikes please.....

Likes & Dislikes please.....

Old May 8th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Likes & Dislikes please.....

Hi everyone,

My Husband and I are trying to decide at the moment between Oz and Canada - i am having a pull towards Oz and the OH is being pulled towards Canada!
We have a 3 year old little boy too so any info people can offer on schooling etc in Oz would be great.
I have done loads of research on both places but think it is better to get peoples views on their own experiences etc.
Please can you let me know what your likes and dislikes and if you could do it again - would you do anything differently??
My Husband is a Plumber - what are the job prospects like there? I know that nowhere is good at the moment but we are not going to moving for a couple more years yet.
We are looking at WA so any info on Weather, Cost of living etc would be great!!!

Many thanks
Old May 8th 2009, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Likes & Dislikes please.....

Why not book a reccie to both places. Asking on here will be opinions only and surely you can't base a decision on that!

I was told Perth was everything i could wish for, but for me it wasn't, or my kids. From what i have heard about Canada i would stay put but that's all hearsay.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

We chose Melbourne - I don't think I'd survive the extreme cold for 6 (or more) months of the year (Mel is cold, but not that cold)! At least there's no snow to shovel every morning
Old May 8th 2009, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linz3112
Hi everyone,

My Husband and I are trying to decide at the moment between Oz and Canada - i am having a pull towards Oz and the OH is being pulled towards Canada!

Many thanks
Funnily enough, I too am having a pull . . .
Old May 8th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Outside bush weed! K eep ya in perspective!!
Old May 8th 2009, 2:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kassy
We chose Melbourne - I don't think I'd survive the extreme cold for 6 (or more) months of the year (Mel is cold, but not that cold)! At least there's no snow to shovel every morning
What makes you think it's extremely cold for 6 months or more of the year in Canada? Winter where I'm from was from mid December to mid March and very very rarely it was extremely cold. As a matter of fact, as I've said dozens of times, I've never been so cold as living in Australia.
Old May 8th 2009, 10:50 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I think you should check both places out as they are so very different. We went to Vancouver a couple of years ago and I hated it couldn't wait to get out of there. Mark has always loved Canada so he was happy. Australia we came over on holiday to check it out can't say I love the place but I don't hate it either. We are happy here in Sydney at the moment but its not where I see myself staying long term. Please do your homework as moving here is very hard and if it is wrong for one of you it will be very difficult to settle. Looking back now on the life we had in England would I move here knowing what I do now, simple answer no but everyone is different it may be the best thing you do. Good luck with where ever you decide to move.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:01 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I've never been to Canada but, Hmmmmm - Australia. It's great. Plus Canadians are weird.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:14 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

We have a 3 year old little boy too so any info people can offer on schooling etc in Oz would be great.
I have done loads of research on both places but think it is better to get peoples views on their own experiences etc.
Please can you let me know what your likes and dislikes and if you could do it again - would you do anything differently??
My Husband is a Plumber - what are the job prospects like there? I know that nowhere is good at the moment but we are not going to moving for a couple more years yet.
We are looking at WA so any info on Weather, Cost of living etc would be great!!!

Many thanks
The weather and the beaches are alot nicer in WA then Canada. l guess asking OZ vs Canada in he OZ forum people will be biased in favour of OZ. Whys your husband in favour of Canada? has he been there before?

Last edited by mohogony; May 8th 2009 at 11:23 pm.
Old May 9th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very broad piece of advice but it is one that can affect a persons experience of living overseas.
Are you a summer or a winter person? A lot of people veer towards one or the other.
A lot of expats that I have met in Australia like it a lot because of the warm climate- they like sun, the heat and the beach/barbecue culture which in many parts of Australia is a big part of life.

If like me, you are more of a winter person, who prefers to be cold rather than too hot and is not particularly seduced by the beach and prefers the countryside and more of a variety in climate and seasons then Canada may suit you better.
Old May 9th 2009, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What makes you think it's extremely cold for 6 months or more of the year in Canada? Winter where I'm from was from mid December to mid March and very very rarely it was extremely cold. As a matter of fact, as I've said dozens of times, I've never been so cold as living in Australia.
My perception based on what my family living Toronto tell me....and this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT000900

Average min temps for 6 months of the year is sub zero
Old May 9th 2009, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Conrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of light

Migration in both countries is a money making machine. Australia requires to be a licensed plumber and check how to get this license holding non - australian qualifications first.
Old May 9th 2009, 4:42 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same. Canada or Australia. Australia = hot, Canada = cold, problem solved.
Old May 9th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

Many thanks
I have just moved to Oz from NZ and I love it.

The weather is warmer, there is always soemthng to do and in all honesty its pretty similar to being home in NZ except Sydney has got our whole countries population in the one city. Great!

I have never been anywhere else, but canada would be one f my dream places to visit, all that snow and wilderness and wildlife - fantasic!
Old May 9th 2009, 7:28 am
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Isn't there a four year wait for a visa to canada, there was when we were considering it a few years back. Depending on life plans, that could have a fairly big impact on the decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.