Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Light installation in Perth

Light installation in Perth

Old Apr 5th 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default Light installation in Perth

Hi. I will be installing some lights in my new house soon. Is anybody able to share the cost of installation (per piece) with me?? Any good electrician to recommend (Northern suburbs)??
Old Apr 5th 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Light installation in Perth

We've used an electrician a couple of times who lives in Padbury (we're in Currambine) who did a really good job (and tidy.) He quoted $100 each to supply & install downlights. His name is Derek Gunn, Action Electrical ******
TJ

Last edited by Dorothy; Apr 6th 2009 at 2:32 am. Reason: phone number removed
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
We've used an electrician a couple of times who lives in Padbury (we're in Currambine) who did a really good job (and tidy.) He quoted $100 each to supply & install downlights. His name is Derek Gunn, Action Electrical ******
TJ
Please do not post other people's phone numbers on the forum.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Hi. I will be installing some lights in my new house soon. Is anybody able to share the cost of installation (per piece) with me?? Any good electrician to recommend (Northern suburbs)??
What kind of lights are you looking to install? Your builder should have included the wiring to at least one central point in each room and supplied at the very least a fixture. Were you looking for the little halogen downlights? If so, you are best to buy them yourself and just have them installed. You can get them from places like Beacon Lighting for 1/3 the price your electrician is going to charge you.

Forgot to say your house is really coming along! You're about a month ahead of us.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What kind of lights are you looking to install? Your builder should have included the wiring to at least one central point in each room and supplied at the very least a fixture. Were you looking for the little halogen downlights? If so, you are best to buy them yourself and just have them installed. You can get them from places like Beacon Lighting for 1/3 the price your electrician is going to charge you.

Forgot to say your house is really coming along! You're about a month ahead of us.
I am now scouting for lights in several spots. Namely Beacon Lighting and 2 others located in Osbourne Park. I need to install downlights for the bath rooms, toilets, walkin wardrobe and oyster shaped lights in the halls and lounge. Got myself an electrician who charges $25 per point. Sounds reasonable??

Yes... the house is coming along really fast. Hope that we will be able to get the keys by end May, 1 month ahead of the actual handover date. I have passed your house yesterday morning. I noticed that you guys are not far behind
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
TJ
Hi.. is it possible to PM me the individual's mobile no.?? Thanks.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:15 pm
Still alive

I am now scouting for lights in several spots. Namely Beacon Lighting and 2 others located in Osbourne Park. I need to install downlights for the bath rooms, toilets, walkin wardrobe and oyster shaped lights in the halls and lounge. Got myself an electrician who charges $25 per point. Sounds reasonable??

Yes... the house is coming along really fast. Hope that we will be able to get the keys by end May, 1 month ahead of the actual handover date. I have passed your house yesterday morning. I noticed that you guys are not far behind
Yeah, we were up there today and it looks like the brickies are just about done. Next step roof tiles.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

I need to install downlights for the bath rooms, toilets, walkin wardrobe.
Just be aware that halogen downlights are a serious fire risk. Last year 60 houses burnt down in Perth because of halogen downlights.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=133937

We decided against them in our house.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 6:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Just be aware that halogen downlights are a serious fire risk. Last year 60 houses burnt down in Perth because of halogen downlights.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=133937

We decided against them in our house.
The only way to install downlighters is with a shroud covering the part of the fitting in the ceiling. Do this and all is good.

I've started to retrofit LED bulbs in my downlighters anyway. Virtually the same light at 12-15% of the power consumption.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:12 am
Still alive

I just plain don't like the look of the little downlights. I much prefer either a beautiful fixture or no fixture with lamps. It's a much warmer look IMO.