Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lifestyle in Hobart vs Cairns

Lifestyle in Hobart vs Cairns

Old May 19th 2013, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

fiftyeight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lifestyle in Hobart vs Cairns

Hello, I am going to study in Australia for 3 years and might stay longer if it will be possible.
I wanted a place that is outdoorsy as most of the things I like to to do are outdoors such as hiking, picnics, biking, going to the beach if possible.
I have been accepted to Unviersity of Tasmania in Hobart and James Cook University in Cairns.

Of course social life is important to me and the lifestyle will determine how much I'll enjoy my social life there.

I know both Tasmania and Cairns are good for this kind of outdoorsy lifestyle. But I'd love to hear from someone who has actually lived in these places.

I've been in both of them as a tourist before and I loved both, but I've only been in each for about two weeks which makes it hard to know how it is year-round.

My impression was that:

1. Tasmania can get pretty cold which can make it harder to go out.
2. Cairns can get very rainy which can make it hard to go out.
3. Cairns seems to be closer to rainforest and national parks then Hobart, and probably from Smithfield where the university is you can get to the rainforest even by walk/bike.

So far it seems to me that Cairns is a bit more suitable for me but I'd love to hear more opinions.

In terms of the weather I like that its hot year round in Cairns, but how bad does it rain? does it actually make it impossible to go out? does it last for days or how is it?
In the two weeks I was there it actually didnt rain almost at all, but I think I was lucky.
Old May 19th 2013, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lifestyle in Hobart vs Cairns

Factors for me re Hobart... Far closer and more accessible to proper civilisation. Primarily Melbourne and has real substance. It also has arguably the best food in Australia. Far less social problems there as well. Weather far more condusive for every day living. Only other Aus place compared to Hobart that has given me a sense of "Wow" was Sydney Harbour. ... fantastic place. Feels like the best kept secret in Aus to me.

Cairns is a great place to visit, but would leave me bored with a sense of isolation after a while. I doubt I'd ever get bored in Tasmania or Hobart. The other big surprise re Hobart is you definitely dont feel isolated there.

Oh and finally Hobart is a much bigger place therefore more of your needs are likely to be met without having to travel anywhere.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 19th 2013 at 11:45 am.
Old May 20th 2013, 5:36 am
Just Joined

IslaJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Tough choice, go with your gut feeling about which place you will be happiest.

I'm in Hobart and it does get cold in winter, and that's part of the beauty of the place, having a snow capped mountain virtually on the city's doorstep is pretty unique. It gets quite hot in Spring and Summer and feeling the changing seasons is what attracts people to Tasmania, I'v met many people who moved to Tas from northern Australia because they got bored of the constant hot weather.

There is still a great social life to be had in Hobart during the colder months, the great bars at Salamanca all have outdoor heaters so it's very comfortable sitting outside all year round, the place is buzzing even on the coldest nights.

Hobart is still quite affordable compared to the mainland, has great food, architecture and history. It's my second favourite city in Aus after Melbourne.
Old May 20th 2013, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Your choice but if it were me I'd go for Hobart for a 3 year stint. Feels a little bigger and for mine, there seems to be a little more variety. Fishing, bushwalking, cycling, scenery, and I've even been scuba diving in Tassie - yes it was cold.
Old May 20th 2013, 10:01 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Given those two, no brainier.......
Hobart!
Old May 21st 2013, 2:00 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

If this was about Brisbane vs Hobart then perhaps this would be an easy choice, but Cairns might be a bit too far out of the way and not big enough as well. Having said that, Hobart is no metropolis and a bit out of the way in the opposite direction.

But overall I think Hobart is the clear winner here. You're looking at a much better city, and the university there seems like a better choice. It's much, much bigger, plus the campus is located close to the city centre. Over in Cairns you're looking at a small campus (just a tiny offshoot of the main university), and pushed well outside of the town as well. I think in terms of a party scene this is going to be a complete blowout in favour of Hobart.

Easy choice imo, definitely give Hobart a try. I have a feeling that surviving 3 months - let alone 3 yrs - would be a massive struggle in Cairns.
Old May 21st 2013, 2:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
If this was about Brisbane vs Hobart then perhaps this would be an easy choice, but Cairns might be a bit too far out of the way and not big enough as well. Having said that, Hobart is no metropolis and a bit out of the way in the opposite direction.

But overall I think Hobart is the clear winner here. You're looking at a much better city, and the university there seems like a better choice. It's much, much bigger, plus the campus is located close to the city centre. Over in Cairns you're looking at a small campus (just a tiny offshoot of the main university), and pushed well outside of the town as well. I think in terms of a party scene this is going to be a complete blowout in favour of Hobart.

Easy choice imo, definitely give Hobart a try. I have a feeling that surviving 3 months - let alone 3 yrs - would be a massive struggle in Cairns.

My GF went to Uni in Hobart, studying Medicine. It seems that Hobart has a great student scene, with lots of activities going on after lectures. Pubs and clubs are warm and welcoming - not huge, vacuous, shiny temples to gambling that seem common elsewhere.

I've been to Hobart a couple of times, and really like it - it's not too big that you feel anonymous, but is also large enough to have plenty to do.

Tasmania has lots of bush walking, and some genuine wilderness areas. For me it would be an easy choice.

S
Old May 21st 2013, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

fiftyeight is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for the advice guys

Just to be clear though, I'm not really looking for a party scene, I'm looking for a place where the lifestyle is more laid back and slow paced.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:08 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Hobart has 4 seasons, fish and chips in Newspaper, cobbled streets, a Victorian style Town Hall and a working fishing harbour. ( A bit like an Australian version of Whitby really )

Cairns has 2 seasons, warm and pleasant for six months and then very hot and humid ( like living in an outdoor sauna ) for the other six months. It has a man-made beach, lots of back packers, kebab shops, tacky gift shops. ( A bit like a small Mediteranean holday resort )

Both have great national parks around them, but Cairns is tropical rain forest where hobart is isn't, both have great hills, rivers, waterfalls, trees scenery etc if that's what you're looking for.

For a 3 month stay I would say Cairns, but for a 3 year stay, Hobart for sure.
Old May 22nd 2013, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

So that's it, it's decided!

(I would go for Hobart too based on my criteria and the OP's criteria...!)
Old May 22nd 2013, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Hobart. No question.

Cairns is a tacky humid and insect infested hellhole.

Hobart is a capital city with all of the necessary infrastructure.

Also you mentioned national parks, you will need a car or a crappy tourist bus to get to the Cairns surrounds. From Hobart you can get public buses to Cradle Mtn and Lake St Clair and do beautiful multi day hikes. As well as walk all the way to Mt Wellington.

The city of Hobart is just a niceer looking place and there are no ahem 'Aboriginal' issues that you get in Cairns and all of Northern Australia.

Also The University of Tasmania is a prestigious well respected University. James Cook University just doesn't compare.
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I almost feel sorry for the OP.... I dont think this overwhelming response in favour of Hobart is what he expecteed. Dreams of a tropical lifestyle in a dream location kind of dashed by people that live here and have been there and done that.

People do live in Cairns and love it.... thing is, it appeals to a minority of people whereas Hobart has an extremely broad appeal.... Plus its far far better located than one would expect, especially compared to Cairns.

Remoteness becomes tedious very quickly when you live it..... For most.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 22nd 2013 at 8:56 am.
Old May 22nd 2013, 9:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't the quality of the university program have some bearing? If someone is coming all the way to Australia and spending a very hefty amount of money for their degree, wouldn't you think research into which is the better university would be the question?

Or maybe it's just the mother in me coming out.
Old May 22nd 2013, 4:52 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno why but when comparing the climates of Hobart and Vancouver, Canada, I get the impression that they are quite similar.

The monthly temperatures show barely higher Summers in Vancouver (like 1 degree) but much milder Winters in Hobart (couple of degrees).
Old May 22nd 2013, 10:32 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

If hiking and biking are predominant pastimes, then Tassie for sure. Around Cairns the climate is not kind to that sort of outdoor activity - you would feel drained very quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.