Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in USA vs Australia

Wikiposts

Life in USA vs Australia

Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough
Default Life in USA vs Australia

I move to Aus 4th Feb with my girlfriend, both aged 36.

Aged 29-31 my girlfirend and I moved to California (Los Angeles). We went there with an open mind about staying, but we only lasted 2 years. We felt more comfortable culturally with Europe and did not like the extreme capitalist model of US and I hate to say this Americans we found difficult to get on with.

We are going to give moving to Sydney a go, main reason fed up of the London grind. Having moved to LA we feel we have some expereince of what to expect interms of moving to a foreign country, what problems, what advantages etc. We certainly do not see this as a solution to all problems etc.

We have been to Aus a number of times, and we feel more comfortable than the US, it has more of an english feel, but anyone else able to give a comparison of life in US vs Australia.

We are looking for quality of life improvement,start a family, we realise we will be much worse of financially, but this is not so important to us. We do not have to worry so much about work as it is likely I will transfer to sydney office for 5 years then option of coming back to Uk or staying.

We hope to go for at least last 5 years in Aus, I would be disapointed if we only do 2 years again.

Anyone lived in US not like it go to Aus and like it?
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in USA vs Australia

Quite simply, although many say Australia is very 'American' and it looks like it to an extent, in some ways it is far more English than it is American. Yet it is not England...

Having lived in LA, I think you'll cope with Australia in ways many won't.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:24 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

The USA is full of americans that dont know that there is a world outside of their own country. A country bursting with narrow minded people who only get a geography lesson when they invade another country.

I lived in Canada for 19 years and have seen many times the attitude of americans, flying their star spangled banner flag high in their homes yet they havent a clue what for.
They look at the statue of liberty in new york as being some symbol of americanism ignorant to the basic fact that its far from being an american symbol for it points east towards europe (france) and isnt americam at all.

Sorry, I cant stand bloody americans, I feel sorry for them.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:29 pm
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Karma on the way for that little pearl.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:47 pm
Banned

Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by menace
Karma on the way for that little pearl.
LOL, just wait til the lounge usa residents get their hands on this thread

Im a yankee doodle dandie.....................
Oh please.....
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

The USA is full of americans that dont know that there is a world outside of their own country. A country bursting with narrow minded people who only get a geography lesson when they invade another country.

I lived in Canada for 19 years and have seen many times the attitude of americans, flying their star spangled banner flag high in their homes yet they havent a clue what for.
They look at the statue of liberty in new york as being some symbol of americanism ignorant to the basic fact that its far from being an american symbol for it points east towards europe (france) and isnt americam at all.

I did find Americans narrow minded and quite insular as well from global viewpoint and thinking. I think it is not all their own fault. I found hard to get any real news outside of what happened LA and this was mainly “fungus at my house” “el Niño washed away my house” “helicopter crashed into my house” etc etc.

Individually Americans can be OK, I met some nice ones and some very smart ones, with some individual views, but I think problem becomes as a whole and as a group Americans become homogenised/same/inward thinking.

America can be seductive, the landscape of LA was very beautiful, culture is different to Europe, but there is a culture, just more contemporary. The issue I had with America is this extreme model of capitalism, money is everything, it was too extreme. It is hard to actual pinpoint our reasons for leaving us, I have been asked many time this, I can only say it was more an underlying feeling of something not quite right “culturally”. I though as we share same language English people would be closer to US people than say Europeans, but I realize I am culturally closer to Frenchman than an America!

Having said that I find London life hard, it is tougher than life in LA, I also don’t like many people In London. Particularly those hooded youth’s in groups of 30 that hang around my area of North London. When I tell certain people I am moving to Sydney, they say they hate Australians and I say well I hate many English people as well, so it is not a big issue.

I found Australian people, particularly in cities, to be a bit more knowledgably of the world than Americans, partly as many have travelled.

My thinking is somewhat simple, I was not happy in America, not happy in UK, so maybe happier in Australia.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
I did find Americans narrow minded and quite insular as well from global viewpoint and thinking..
I just found the attitude of Americans to be one of superiority when they dont really have a clue about other countries, their culture or indeed technological advancement. to them there is nothing more superior, nothing more splendid, nothing more important than America. It is with this that I say I feel sorry for them as a whole. Of course there a few are individuals that dont hold the normal pathetic view and attitudes, but like I said.. A few..
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
I move to Aus 4th Feb with my girlfriend, both aged 36.

Aged 29-31 my girlfirend and I moved to California (Los Angeles). We went there with an open mind about staying, but we only lasted 2 years. We felt more comfortable culturally with Europe and did not like the extreme capitalist model of US and I hate to say this Americans we found difficult to get on with.

We are going to give moving to Sydney a go, main reason fed up of the London grind. Having moved to LA we feel we have some expereince of what to expect interms of moving to a foreign country, what problems, what advantages etc. We certainly do not see this as a solution to all problems etc.

We have been to Aus a number of times, and we feel more comfortable than the US, it has more of an english feel, but anyone else able to give a comparison of life in US vs Australia.

We are looking for quality of life improvement,start a family, we realise we will be much worse of financially, but this is not so important to us. We do not have to worry so much about work as it is likely I will transfer to sydney office for 5 years then option of coming back to Uk or staying.

We hope to go for at least last 5 years in Aus, I would be disapointed if we only do 2 years again.

Anyone lived in US not like it go to Aus and like it?
My parents live in the USA they moved there a few years ago and we have stayed there many times. We always enjoy visiting but I could NEVER live there, the place just grates after a very short time and the kid's personalities change virtually overnight when we are there (too much stuff thrown at them constantly ). I am hoping that once we have settled here for a few years and my parents are getting tired of their US experience themselves then we will sponsor them to come over here. I just hope that the experience in the USA doesn't kill my Dad first as he works FAR too much there and there is so much pressure, personally I don't see that it is worth the trade off of your health for the material rewards. We just have a far healthier family life here than we could ever have in the USA.
I hope that your move works out ( I have the feeling that it will )
All the best.
Nicky
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:15 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, just wait til the lounge usa residents get their hands on this thread

Im a yankee doodle dandie.....................
Oh please.....

You are safe for a few hours.... they won't be awake .... yet

(I'm off to post a link in the lounge )
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by A dogs life
You are safe for a few hours.... they won't be awake .... yet

(I'm off to post a link in the lounge )
Wanker, Im off to bed now tis going on for 1130pm
will check the boards in the morn to witness the poop
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:22 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Wanker, Im off to bed now tis going on for 1130pm

You and your bloody fancy daylight saving hours!!!

Its 10:30 in real time (as voted for by cows and chickens)
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by A dogs life
You and your bloody fancy daylight saving hours!!!

Its 10:30 in real time (as voted for by cows and chickens)

Just tired is all no matter what the government tells me the time is