Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

life turned upside down

life turned upside down

Old Dec 11th 2003, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default life turned upside down

has anyone found their lives completely turned upside down in unexpected ways by their move? I think that i have changed in so many ways - and not always for the better.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents are no longer speaking to me which I wasn't quite expecting

Claire
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:05 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: life turned upside down

Originally posted by miss brodie
has anyone found their lives completely turned upside down in unexpected ways by their move? I think that i have changed in so many ways - and not always for the better.

In what ways, Miss Brodie?

We are heading out to your neck of the woods ( well, New Plymouth) in Feb so it would be interesting to hear about your experiences.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

All the stuff you expereince - great and not so great - can make big impacts on your life. Sometimes i feel really sad that I seem to have wasted big chunks of my life to date by not makng a move far sooner. All the new people i have met and the new stuff i have done can also prove very confusing in tems of your personal identity and it becomes a lot less clear what you are really about. I have been turned upside down by some of the Kiwis i have met and there are strains oin my relationship with my Brit partner that i never thought possible in the UK.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Modigliana is an unknown quantity at this point

All the stuff you expereince - great and not so great - can make big impacts on your life. Sometimes i feel really sad that I seem to have wasted big chunks of my life to date by not makng a move far sooner. All the new people i have met and the new stuff i have done can also prove very confusing in tems of your personal identity and it becomes a lot less clear what you are really about. I have been turned upside down by some of the Kiwis i have met and there are strains oin my relationship with my Brit partner that i never thought possible in the UK.
Your world is expanding, and so is your mind.
Old Dec 13th 2003, 5:38 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by claireg3
My parents are no longer speaking to me which I wasn't quite expecting

Claire

That is not altogether a bad thing you know. I wish my parents were not speaking to me!

My parents visited me a couple of years ago. Because they "Came such a long way" they stayed for over a month. I lost every weekend to carting them around, had to take time off work, took one of them to see a Doctor, etc etc.

Had I been in England I would only have to see them once a month!

Don't worry about it; aged parents can be a real pain in the backside.

Old Dec 13th 2003, 6:34 am
WBB

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
That is not altogether a bad thing you know. I wish my parents were not speaking to me!

My parents visited me a couple of years ago. Because they "Came such a long way" they stayed for over a month. I lost every weekend to carting them around, had to take time off work, took one of them to see a Doctor, etc etc.

Had I been in England I would only have to see them once a month!

Don't worry about it; aged parents can be a real pain in the backside.
but they are your parents and probably took time off work once or twice when you were a wee lad, no doubt they also paid a few visits to the doctor with you, how can you be so harsh?

Old Dec 13th 2003, 9:28 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Yup....where do I start...£15,000 loss and a near divorce to return to the UK next month....so you could say it was not for the better.....
Old Dec 13th 2003, 12:12 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Miss. Brodie,

If it makes you feel any better you are not alone in experiencing the pressure that migration can have on a relationship. It is a very stressful time, even the new exciting good changes create their own stress but then with the move itself finding somewhere to live, work etc its STRESS OVERLOAD.

Maybe take some time off together, away from the current stress, it can be scary but if your relationship was sound before the move you should be okay hopefully to get it back on an even keel.

very best of luck.

Donna
Old Dec 13th 2003, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I really dont think anyone can make such huge changes in their life and not be changed or affected by it.

I have left UK for over 2yrs now, and i am a totally different person. I admit that the first year was a really rough ride for me personally. I even became depressed for a while and thought i wouldnt make it. I am very lucky that i have a strong, loving and supportive husband who really helped me through it all.

Looking back, i am glad i experienced it. It gave me a chance to re assess who i am, single out and identify what my goals were, and make changes which really turned my life around. The fact that i didnt know many people, and didnt have family and friends distracting me meant i could really focus on ME for the first time in my life.

Big changes and progress are a long hard road, but once you sort it all out in your own mind, you'll be flying!!

I wish you good luck in sorting things out.. if you need a sympathetic ear just holler!!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 1:18 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by welshboybilly
but they are your parents and probably took time off work once or twice when you were a wee lad, no doubt they also paid a few visits to the doctor with you, how can you be so harsh?

Ever watched Seinfield? Try putting up with George's parents for a month.

On a rating scale I would say my parents come in slightly worse than Gerry's but better than Georges.

I love my parents but that does not mean that I want extensive contact with them. As I said had I stayed in Britain I would just have to have Sunday lunch with them once a month and visit them for in hospital while they are having hip and knee replacements.

This is one aspect to living in Australia that you will have to get used to - when peole visit you from Britain they stay for a long, long time.

Old Dec 14th 2003, 3:30 am
WBB

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser

and visit them for in hospital while they are having hip and knee replacements.

you made me chuckle with that one

Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:04 am
owieb

has anyone found their lives completely turned upside down in unexpected ways by their move?
Yeah, I never thought I could be this happy!

Old Dec 14th 2003, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Emigrating puts an enormous strain on personal relationships, particularly if you have no close relatives already here. You become totally isolated and have to make all your decisions without the benefit of advice from trusted friends and family. I know I certainly fell into an huge depression that lasted for some years.

As for people visiting, my parents came over once for 6 weeks and that was lovely, but when my sister has stayed we have always ended up arguing. So much so that once she flew home after just a few days and now she and her husband will not stay unless they are in a motel/hotel and have their own hire car. It works so much better that way!