Reload this Page >

Life outside of the cities?

Life outside of the cities?

Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

gubbin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Life outside of the cities?

Hi all,

Having just returned from Oz on our visa validation trip we're struggling to reach a decision as to where to settle. We're tempted to opt for something other than the obvious city destinations and are considering the NSW North Coast (Ballina, Yamba, Coffs Harbour, etc.). However, this seems to be an option that few opt for and our concern therefore is of isolation and limited employment opportunities or at least reasonably well paid ones.

I have relatives in the area (Grafton) and as a travel agent have tentatively been offerd work here. My husband by trade is a mechanical engineer but has worked within sales & marketing management for the last few years.

Any views, comments, thoughts, advise, ect would be welcomed and would love to hear from others on the NSW North Coast.

Cheers,
Gubbin
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:36 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Life outside of the cities?

Originally posted by gubbin
Hi all,

Having just returned from Oz on our visa validation trip we're struggling to reach a decision as to where to settle. We're tempted to opt for something other than the obvious city destinations and are considering the NSW North Coast (Ballina, Yamba, Coffs Harbour, etc.). However, this seems to be an option that few opt for and our concern therefore is of isolation and limited employment opportunities or at least reasonably well paid ones.

I have relatives in the area (Grafton) and as a travel agent have tentatively been offerd work here. My husband by trade is a mechanical engineer but has worked within sales & marketing management for the last few years.

Any views, comments, thoughts, advise, ect would be welcomed and would love to hear from others on the NSW North Coast.

Cheers,
Gubbin
Ask if yourself if you are a city slicker.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is just you and hubby and you can afford to take a gamble then go for it.
you dont want to look back in a few years and think `if only`.
you can always move on again after if you are not happy.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:03 pm
Goodpubmisser

Very much a personal choice.

I find that outside of the cities, Australian small towns are boring brain dead places where the Hoons abound due to boredom. Most young people marry as early as possble and have big families to keep themselves occupied.

Australia is not like Britain in that you are usually only 1-2 hours drive from the nearest large town/city. In the country in Australia you can end up really isolated.

I would not live outside of a city in Australia but then I was brought up in the suburbs around London.

Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

gubbin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by S Oldfield
If it is just you and hubby and you can afford to take a gamble then go for it.
you dont want to look back in a few years and think `if only`.
you can always move on again after if you are not happy.
We have two daughters, 10 and 8 yrs, so possibly they're too young to appreciate any short terms hardships and hopefully in the longterm they will be the ones to benefit most - if it was left to the kids we would be out in Oz now!

Gubbin
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life outside of the cities?

Originally posted by gubbin
Hi all,

Cheers,
Gubbin
I live in Sydney but I';ve been up that way quite a lot.

Of the the three, definitely leave out Coffs Harbour and Yamba. Coffs Harbour has a LOT of unemployment - too many Sydneyites have moved up there for cheap housing near the beach only to find they're no different from everyone else and can't get a job either.

Yamba is pretty small and rather dependent on fishing I believe.

Ballina would be my choice. Absolutely fantastic scenery around there, not too far from Grafton, Lismore and the alternative delights of Byron Bay. Not far from the Gold Coast for when you want some civilization(!) and of course Brisbane's not much further. Roads are greatly improved in that area so getting in and out is better than it used to be.

Good cross-section of people in the area - not like your average country area which Goodpubmisser sums up pretty well. Lots of cafes, restaurants, shops, wierdos etc in Byron Bay and surrounding villages.

Nearly convinced myself - might have to move there too!