Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Melbourne

Life in Melbourne

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in Melbourne

im in such a dilemma - trying to decide whether to spends heaps of cash now and fly out for a look-see or wait until we get a positive response later in year....

it would make things so much more clearer to actually see whats what.

husband is plumber/gas fitter so of course wherever the work is will be the decider i guess!!

Last edited by Jacqueline Rooks; Jan 3rd 2005 at 7:53 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqueline Rooks
Thanks for your reply. I have only just discovered this site so, as you suggest, will be asking heaps of questions!! We did hear that Williamstown was very nice but the prices of property came as a nasty shock!!

My only concern is getting it right first time as we have two children of school age so cant afford to make mistakes as to what area we choose. We are a long way off yet, only being at skills assessment stage, but im stressing already!

Anyway, good luck to you!!

Thanks Jacqueline!

I don't think many folks would describe their move as 'trouble free', though I'm sure many have landed on their feet eventually.

May I ask, why did you choose Melb'n?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Thanks Jacqueline!

I don't think many folks would describe their move as 'trouble free', though I'm sure many have landed on their feet eventually.

May I ask, why did you choose Melb'n?

Sure - we are going (hopefully) based on husband's job/skills as plumber/gas engineer and apparently adelaide and melbourne require those skills and so that is where our imigration agents told us to apply. it is a visa whereby government will sponsor him (so i understand ......?)

of the two, we chose melbourne as adelaide is neither here nor there - according to bill bryson anyway!!

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure - we are going (hopefully) based on husband's job/skills as plumber/gas engineer and apparently adelaide and melbourne require those skills and so that is where our imigration agents told us to apply. it is a visa whereby government will sponsor him (so i understand ......?)

of the two, we chose melbourne as adelaide is neither here nor there - according to bill bryson anyway!!

LOL, you've read that book too!

Adelaide is rather a long way from other sizeable population centres, but is certainly well-loved by some members here who choose to call it home.

I spent two months in and around Melbourne and thought it was a really nice city. I hope you think so too!

However, be aware that it isn't 'paradise'. I'm not trying to put you off, but there's been a lot of debate, not all of it very nice, on the 'rose-tinted' perspective of Aus. Not accusing you of this for a moment, not that it's a crime anyway, but just beware that Aus has many of the same problems as the UK, but many opportunities as well. And I reckon it is often what you make of those opportunities that will determine whether you settle or not.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

Absolutely, thats what im worried about!! Im concerned that we have got the rose tinted specs on and that we will simply be moving to the other side the world for pretty much the same as is here ... still have bills, squabbling children, crap tv ....!!!

its all but impossible to visualise whats in store and if it all goes pear shaped we're out on a few grand "gulp".

oh bugger!!!!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Absolutely, thats what im worried about!! Im concerned that we have got the rose tinted specs on and that we will simply be moving to the other side the world for pretty much the same as is here ... still have bills, squabbling children, crap tv ....!!!

its all but impossible to visualise whats in store and if it all goes pear shaped we're out on a few grand "gulp".

oh bugger!!!!
It's natural to be scared of what lies ahead. But that's the stuff of adventures...the great unknown and all that.

I honestly believe that time spent on this forum will help put a lot of things into perspective. I tend to try and give a 'warts and all' perspective myself, because it is more honest of me to do that. What I quickly discovered on here however is that many people's experiences are very individual and some folks love the country/city/suburb whatever, and others hate it. So advice has its limits I guess....

Are you thinking of going on a recce to get a feel for the place?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tonyk38
It's natural to be scared of what lies ahead. But that's the stuff of adventures...the great unknown and all that.

I honestly believe that time spent on this forum will help put a lot of things into perspective. I tend to try and give a 'warts and all' perspective myself, because it is more honest of me to do that. What I quickly discovered on here however is that many people's experiences are very individual and some folks love the country/city/suburb whatever, and others hate it. So advice has its limits I guess....

Are you thinking of going on a recce to get a feel for the place?

yes, hopefully around easter time but due to fact we are in process of application and paying immigration agents its costing arm and leg let alone the cost of family of four flying out for two weeks!!!

we have talked about moving to australia for about 20 years - time to give those dreams chance to materialize i guess!! (before we are too bloody old!!)

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

we have talked about moving to australia for about 20 years - time to give those dreams chance to materialize i guess!! (before we are too bloody old!!)

Couldn't have put it better myself! Best of luck!

Good luck with the recce too!
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Faith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
3. Get yourself a good street guide to Melbourne (a Melway or UBD)
Probably tricky to do while still in the UK Fortunately Melway is online via www.street-directory.com.au
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Faith is on a distinguished road

moving to the other side the world for pretty much the same as is here ... still have bills, squabbling children, crap tv ....!!!
Yes, all those + so much more... traffic jams, corrupt politicians, unreliable public transport, racism, incompetant banks, the impossibility of getting an electrician/plumber/etc at short notice... + the extra fun of getting sunburnt in no time! (Not trying to put you off or anything! )
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Faith
Yes, all those + so much more... traffic jams, corrupt politicians, unreliable public transport, racism, incompetant banks, the impossibility of getting an electrician/plumber/etc at short notice... + the extra fun of getting sunburnt in no time! (Not trying to put you off or anything! )

just like home then!!!

Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:13 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thanks for your reply. I have only just discovered this site so, as you suggest, will be asking heaps of questions!! We did hear that Williamstown was very nice but the prices of property came as a nasty shock!!

My only concern is getting it right first time as we have two children of school age so cant afford to make mistakes as to what area we choose. We are a long way off yet, only being at skills assessment stage, but im stressing already!

Anyway, good luck to you!!

Hi Jacqueline,

As Cas says, there are places less expensive than Williamstown on the West side of the city. In particular, Sanctuary Lakes may be worth checking out, as it's near the coast, about 25-30 mins drive from the City (I think! The train takes about 40 mins), but has decent sized family homes at reasonable prices - you can even buy a plot & get a house built there, which saves money.

Have a look at:

http://www.sanctuarylakes.com.au/

The other place to consider if, like me, you like those lovely West Country-style rugged beaches, is Geelong. Yes, it is a long way out, about 50 mins drive from Melbourne (tho faster on the train & a new express service is rumored to be in the offing but it's very close to the Great Ocean Road beaches which are breathtaking. I would imagine housing down that way is a fair bit cheaper than in the Melbourne suburban area, too.

Best of luck with your plans.
Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Smile Re: Life in Melbourne

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Jacqueline,

As Cas says, there are places less expensive than Williamstown on the West side of the city. In particular, Sanctuary Lakes may be worth checking out, as it's near the coast, about 25-30 mins drive from the City (I think! The train takes about 40 mins), but has decent sized family homes at reasonable prices - you can even buy a plot & get a house built there, which saves money.

Have a look at:

The other place to consider if, like me, you like those lovely West Country-style rugged beaches, is Geelong. Yes, it is a long way out, about 50 mins drive from Melbourne (tho faster on the train & a new express service is rumored to be in the offing but it's very close to the Great Ocean Road beaches which are breathtaking. I would imagine housing down that way is a fair bit cheaper than in the Melbourne suburban area, too.

Cheers,
Anya.

Thats fantastic - many many thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think what i was looking for didnt exist!!

my husband is a plumber/gas fitter so i dont think being close to city is all that paramount - thank goodness.

we are only at early stages but im having sleepless nights already! my husband is so laid back he could fall over but im totally stressed!!

Thanks again

J
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Jacqueline,

Have a look at:

Cheers,
Anya.
Jeeez - i just checked out your link!! Thats me sorted then!! Cheers
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:24 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Thats fantastic - many many thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think what i was looking for didnt exist!!

my husband is a plumber/gas fitter so i dont think being close to city is all that paramount - thank goodness.

we are only at early stages but im having sleepless nights already! my husband is so laid back he could fall over but im totally stressed!!

Thanks again

J
No worries! I'm sure there will be plenty of work for your hubby here, too - as far as I can see, his skills would be in demand with all the new houses being built round the city, as well as loads of restorations going on. Everyone I know here seems to be having their kitchen/bathrooms refurbished!

Have been here 5 months so don't know it all, but feel free to ask any thing specific & I'll help if I can (not good on kinder/school questions tho, as don't have school age kids).

Cheers,
Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.