Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Melbourne - 2 months on.

Life in Melbourne - 2 months on.

Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:28 am
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough
Default Life in Melbourne - 2 months on.

Right. It's been a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions for all of our family in this second month. My wife has missed the network of friends she left behind, my son has missed all his toys that were being shipped and my job hasn't been going as well as I hoped. However, my wife seems happier, my son's toys have arrived, but I'm still in a bit of a low at the moment. I ask myself (usually when things are going pear-shaped at work) if I'd still consider emigrating knowing what I know now. Lately I've been doubtful as to whether I would. Another contributory factor to this is that someone ran into the side of my car (which I've had for just over two months) on Wednesday. The pillock tried to overtake me whilst I was indicating and turning RIGHT! Where do these people learn to drive? The Stevie Wonder School of Motoring?
On the plus side, there is a shortage of people in my industry and am aiming to stay at my current place of work whilst looking for something a bit more suitable. Also we are currently looking for a house to buy and get away from this nice but expensive rental property. Last month I did a good points and bad points list, but this month I'm going for observations I've made recently.

1) If anyone out there, like me, used to shake their head at all the crazy laws / rules / regulations / injusticies in the UK, Australia has just as many, if not more.
2) Decent houses with big gardens are hard to find and are not cheap. Rule of thumb is that the further away from the city you go, the more you get for your money. I jokingly told my sister (who works at my previous workplace in the UK) that we were living in a four bedroom house with a swimming pool and a massive back garden and was next the the beach, all for 50 quid a week. She believed me as did all my ex-workmates. Sometimes I wonder if most people in the UK believe that such places exist.
3) If something's free, the government will try to charge for it. Only yesterday it was reported that parents were going to have to pay for their sick kids to be tube-fed when in hospital. They have since backed down and so they should.
4) Something trivial, but nevertheless, swearing seems to be acceptable in general, especially in the media. Whereas Radio 1 will censor swear words in rap songs, this doesn't apply on Australian radio, no matter what time of day it is. Only tonight, ***** Forever by Babyshambles came on at 6.50pm. Was the ***** deleted in the song? No.

Although there is a general mood of pessimism in this post, I love Australia, or the bits that I've seen so far. I love the space that you immediately notice, and the friendly, welcoming people. We've spent more time together as a family than we could ever have hoped if I was working in the UK, which can only be a good thing. Even though I said I doubted if I'd move here, given another chance, there's one thing certain. I definitely don't want to move back to Leeds!

Last edited by Carl B; Nov 5th 2005 at 11:32 am.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 11:32 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Melbourne - 2 months on.

Nice post - here's hoping you feel a bit more settled and happy as the months go by
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Life in Melbourne - 2 months on.

Originally Posted by Carl B
On the plus side, there is a shortage of people in my industry and am aiming to stay at my current place of work whilst looking for something a bit more suitable.
May I inquire what industry you're in - and whether you feel the problems are to do with your actual job or the people you work with?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:21 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Carl B]3) If something's free, the government will try to charge for it. Only yesterday it was reported that parents were going to have to pay for their sick kids to be tube-fed when in hospital. They have since backed down and so they should.

I don't know, the tubes could prrove to be expensive unless you was them

Bye
Mark
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

4) Something trivial, but nevertheless, swearing seems to be acceptable in general, especially in the media. Whereas Radio 1 will censor swear words in rap songs, this doesn't apply on Australian radio, no matter what time of day it is. Only tonight, ***** Forever by Babyshambles came on at 6.50pm. Was the ***** deleted in the song? No.
I thought there were only 4*'s in *****
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:42 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Right. It's been a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions for all of our family in this second month. My wife has missed the network of friends she left behind, my son has missed all his toys that were being shipped and my job hasn't been going as well as I hoped. However, my wife seems happier, my son's toys have arrived, but I'm still in a bit of a low at the moment. I ask myself (usually when things are going pear-shaped at work) if I'd still consider emigrating knowing what I know now. Lately I've been doubtful as to whether I would. Another contributory factor to this is that someone ran into the side of my car (which I've had for just over two months) on Wednesday. The pillock tried to overtake me whilst I was indicating and turning RIGHT! Where do these people learn to drive? The Stevie Wonder School of Motoring?
On the plus side, there is a shortage of people in my industry and am aiming to stay at my current place of work whilst looking for something a bit more suitable. Also we are currently looking for a house to buy and get away from this nice but expensive rental property. Last month I did a good points and bad points list, but this month I'm going for observations I've made recently.

1) If anyone out there, like me, used to shake their head at all the crazy laws / rules / regulations / injusticies in the UK, Australia has just as many, if not more.
2) Decent houses with big gardens are hard to find and are not cheap. Rule of thumb is that the further away from the city you go, the more you get for your money. I jokingly told my sister (who works at my previous workplace in the UK) that we were living in a four bedroom house with a swimming pool and a massive back garden and was next the the beach, all for 50 quid a week. She believed me as did all my ex-workmates. Sometimes I wonder if most people in the UK believe that such places exist.
3) If something's free, the government will try to charge for it. Only yesterday it was reported that parents were going to have to pay for their sick kids to be tube-fed when in hospital. They have since backed down and so they should.

Although there is a general mood of pessimism in this post, I love Australia, or the bits that I've seen so far. I love the space that you immediately notice, and the friendly, welcoming people. We've spent more time together as a family than we could ever have hoped if I was working in the UK, which can only be a good thing. Even though I said I doubted if I'd move here, given another chance, there's one thing certain. I definitely don't want to move back to Leeds!
This is based in Melbourne - it may help - http://www.newcomersnetwork.com/mel/home/index.php
Old Nov 5th 2005, 5:33 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carl,

I read your post and understand how you feel. However, it does get better, well it has for me anyway. I had real problems feeling settled when I first arrived and this lasted for a few months. I really missed my friends and the familiarity of the UK. There are not many people who can just uproot from everything that they know and move half way around the world without looking back and thinking what if .....

As I said in a previous post I am now loving it. No things are not that much cheaper but then again I didn't have any pre-conceived ideas as to the cost of living (left that to Hubbie to decide) or about life in general.

I think that once you have found work that you are happy with it will all settle down. Of course you will still miss your friends but you will make new ones along the way and the old ones that are true friends will still be there for you and your wife.

Vanessa
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carl,
Sent you a pm.

Ruth
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:51 pm
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
May I inquire what industry you're in - and whether you feel the problems are to do with your actual job or the people you work with?

Thanks

Buzzy
I'm in the sheetmetal industry. In the UK I used to manufacture ductwork from 1mm thick steel with very little welding involved and was at the same workplace for 19 years. Over here I'm using 2mm - 3mm steel and doing 100 times more welding, in fact welding is all I seem to do. As someone who's confidence is easily shattered once things go wrong, I'd say it's the job that's the problem.
On the other hand, I live 5 minutes drive from my workplace, have a smashing bunch of workmates and work hours that suit being able to enjoy more family time.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down Re: Life in Melbourne - 2 months on.

PHP Code:
Another contributory factor to this is that someone ran into the side of my car (which I've had for just over two months) on Wednesday. The pillock tried to overtake me whilst I was indicating and turning RIGHT! Where do these people learn to drive? : 
cool:

Hi Carl,

Don't know if it'll make you feel better but the same thing happened to me yesterday (here in rain sodden Wales), and the person driving the other car was insistent that it was my fault for having the cheek to turn right in front of her !!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 7:55 pm
MVFC

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
I thought there were only 4*'s in *****
Ha, I noticed that. I replaced the letter "u" with a *, however when I submitted the post, the other letters were gone and another four * had appeared. Very strange.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sujy will become famous soon enoughSujy will become famous soon enough

Carl

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!!!!!

We fly out to Melbourne on the 28th November - I am so stressed I need to keep hold of my rose coloured glasses. I need positive encouragement - not negativity. Tell me again about all the good points!!!!! If there are too many bad points I feel that I will have to curl up under the duvut and stay there!!!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:28 pm
MVFC

Originally Posted by Sujy
Carl

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!!!!!

We fly out to Melbourne on the 28th November - I am so stressed I need to keep hold of my rose coloured glasses. I need positive encouragement - not negativity. Tell me again about all the good points!!!!! If there are too many bad points I feel that I will have to curl up under the duvut and stay there!!!
Don't let my negativity put you off, it's a great place. Just put on a normal pair of glasses instead of the rose tinted ones and you'll be reet. Good points? Friendly locals, decent public transport system (if you live close to a main line service), proximity to great beaches / places to visit, loads of sport, loads of parks with decent facilities for kids, school kids who are 10 times more polite / better behaved than their UK counterparts (the ones I've encountered anyway) and lots more things that I can't think of at the moment. As mentioned mant times on this board, don't come expecting that all the things that frustrate you about the UK will miraculously disappear once you land here. They won't. Finally, leave the duvet behind, it's starting to warm up now!
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:42 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sujy
Carl
I need positive encouragement - not negativity.
The best lesson to learn is that when the holiday/honeymoon period wears off you still have to rebuild a new life. Now where you have speant a lifetime building your life you have to create new ones in a matter of weeks. Its not easy and makes the first coupla months kinda difficult. When you have built the framework of essentials i.e. place to live, TFN, Medicare etc it gets a bit easier. You then have to get to grips with the loss of the old family and friends network. This is easier if you are a close family unit who enjoy doing stuff together. It does take time and you will have low periods.

I've been here for over 2 years and I can now call Melbourne home.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sujy will become famous soon enoughSujy will become famous soon enough

I don't really have rose tinted glasses - infact if anything I am a real pessimist! The best way to be in life - then everything good is a bonus.

We are at the stage where we have nothing to lose. Hubby and I have both left our jobs, house is sold, all possessions about to be shipped and remaining furniture consists of 3 beds, 1 desk and PC, and 1 old tired sofa bed.

We are living in a two bed bungalow with no washing machine or cooker - hubby and I sleeping in lounge!

This week have had a few problems with 19 year old announcing that she doesn't want to come - but hopefully that has been resolved.

All in all - Mount Eliza here we come. (2nd december).

Hopefully this is the right move for us - if not been there, done that, got the t shirt!!!

Su J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.