Life Insurance

Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

sloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the rough
Default Life Insurance

Myself and Oh currently have Life insurance in the UK and were just wondering if you just carry on paying for the cover and can claim even if you emigrate to Australia? Or is it better to cancel it and take out a new policy in Aus, if so what cover can you use between cancelling the UK one and starting one in Aus? your thoughts/experiences on this would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Life Insurance

You'll need to ask your insurer whether you would be covered in Australia - it makes no difference to a number of insurers and they are happy to continue accepting premiums. Others take an entirely different view.

In terms of what is best, we found that life premiums were generally cheaper in Australia but a lot will depend upon your age and other factors. Also, if you are going to live in Australia then in principle that's the currency you should be insured in. If you have a family just make sure that you don't have a period where you are not covered ... I shouldn't be a big believer in Murphy's Law, but..

Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Reading - now the Beautiful Central Coast!
MurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really niceMurphFam is just really nice

We rang our insurance company before we left and checked if it would still be valid and they confirmed that it would. We have left it running (been here 7 weeks now) and are now looking around to take out cover in Australia now that we have some time after getting things sorted.

Tracy
Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Haven't made the move yet, but have made similar enquiries with our insurers and we would be covered. Have also asked about paying the premium annually (only small premiums) which doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

Last edited by medwaymark; Sep 25th 2007 at 12:11 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

sloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your replies if my insurers M & S cover for Australia I think I will run the policy until I get an equivalent sorted in Aus thus avoiding 'murphys law'. Unless the premiums end up being a lot higher that is.