Reload this Page >

Life in Cairns and its suburbs

Life in Cairns and its suburbs

Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:16 am
Just Joined

haggiscat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in Cairns and its suburbs

Hi

We are due to move to Cairns in May this year. We have been to Melbourne, Sydney and Mandurah and Adelaide but due to the nature of our visa we had a limited choice of where we could go and chose Cairns.

Can people please tell me their views on living in Cairns and it suburbs or possibly what life is like in Gordonvale as we may chose to move down there.

Any help appreciated.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:17 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life in Cairns and its suburbs

Originally Posted by haggiscat
Hi

We are due to move to Cairns in May this year. We have been to Melbourne, Sydney and Mandurah and Adelaide but due to the nature of our visa we had a limited choice of where we could go and chose Cairns.

Can people please tell me their views on living in Cairns and it suburbs or possibly what life is like in Gordonvale as we may chose to move down there.

Any help appreciated.
beware there is a big puddy tat called bixie up there
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Any help appreciated.
Pool, aircon, pool, aircon.

Look for houses with high ceilings and roof insulation.

Gordonvale is a bit out and away from the coast. The locals claim peak hour is a shocker

Plenty of houses under $300,000. Low to mid $400's for a new 4 bedder. Assume anything the local agents tell you is BS until proven otherwise. Market prices have adjusted back to where they should be.

Heard that lions can be a problem :scared: And crocs on the northern beaches.

Friendly and laid back. Plenty of sporting choices or fishing. Humidity can be harsh which is why you have aircon.

Bloke has just left work to return to UK under domestic pressure. He's already stretched his departure by 4 weeks... He'll be back.

WW
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

Gordonvale is a bit out and away from the coast. The locals claim peak hour is a shocker

Plenty of houses under $300,000. Low to mid $400's for a new 4 bedder. Assume anything the local agents tell you is BS until proven otherwise. Market prices have adjusted back to where they should be.

Friendly and laid back. Plenty of sporting choices or fishing. Humidity can be harsh which is why you have aircon.

Bloke has just left work to return to UK under domestic pressure. He's already stretched his departure by 4 weeks... He'll be back.

WW
just tell the lion to lie on his back and u will rub his tummy....he may even purrr for ya
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
just tell the lion to lie on his back and u will rub his tummy....he may even purrr for ya
That's conjured up some images that I just don't want to see
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:33 am
Just Joined

WW

Thanks WW,

Will keep an eye out for the lions! My hubbie is very worried about the crocs! :scared: I can't wait to get out there and start settling in ! I have heard that Cairns has good watering holes though!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:34 am

Thanks WW,

Will keep an eye out for the lions! My hubbie is very worried about the crocs! :scared: I can't wait to get out there and start settling in ! I have heard that Cairns has good watering holes though!
thats where the crocs live lol
Old Feb 27th 2006, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by biggy
thats where the crocs live lol

Then I will just have to remember to spray on some anti-croc repelent before I go out drinking!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 1:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hello H.

Well I live in Cairns but haven't had any trouble with lions or crocs.
The Northern beaches are closed occassionally due to sightings but it's not a thing to worry about on a daily basis.
It's all about common sense really. You don't go places where they could be.

Gordonvale is the farthest burb South of the city so land and house prices tend to be cheaper because of that. I guess it's bordering on semi rural life. Haven't heard any bad things about it. I was looking at property down there before arriving in Cairns but decided it was too far out with me being the only driver in a family of four.

They do say the treck in rush hour is getting worse but it's 2 and 3 lane roads with traffic lights so it does keep moving pretty well.

We were driving around Edmonton a few weeks ago which is the next burb and it only took us 20 minutes to get there from the city. I guess Gordonvale would be another 5-10 minutes.

Cairns offers a rich variety whether that is peace and quiet or full on hubble bubble. Loads and loads to see and do. Plenty of free entertainments throughout the year. It's a big holiday destination for internationals and Australians. We live just 15 minutes from the CBD and can avoid evrything if we want.

Hot and humid in summer and lovely in the winter. Temperatures seem more constant and reliable compared to much of Aus. We have only been here 16 months but it's surprising how much we have acclimatised in that short time. We have not found our second summer half as hard as the first.

The place is very cosmopolitan and transient especially around the inner city.
Plenty of shops, loads of dining places and lots of bars, clubs etc.

Very laid back and friendly people.

I always advise people to plan renting for the first few months whilst getting used to the area and decide where you would like to live to suit your lifestyle.

Drop me a PM anytime with questions.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Any help appreciated.
My brother has lived there for over 10 years and has absolutely loved it.
He is actually selling up and moving though as he has a new job in Canberra.
He says that he wants to return one day.
Lou
Old Feb 27th 2006, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
That's conjured up some images that I just don't want to see

you mean he may get out his lipstick again
Old Feb 28th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello H.

They do say the treck in rush hour is getting worse but it's 2 and 3 lane roads with traffic lights so it does keep moving pretty well.
ROFL
The locally grown locals havent got a clue as to what a real peak hours is like.

A traffic jamb is more than 3 cars in a line.

WW
Old Feb 28th 2006, 9:06 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

ROFL
The locally grown locals havent got a clue as to what a real peak hours is like.

A traffic jamb is more than 3 cars in a line.

WW