Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Brisbane - Well my life in Brisbane

Life in Brisbane - Well my life in Brisbane

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

jac16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in Brisbane - Well my life in Brisbane

I really enjoy reading about everyones life so I thought I would post details about how we have got on since arriving in Brisbane.

We applied to come over on a skilled migration visa. after nearly 2 years of paperwork & waiting we were granted our visa. 3 weeks later we were on the plane to Brisbane. We flew with Emirates - how were great. I have a small baby so we got given bulk head seat so we had lots of space and the trip went really quickly. It was my real woory but not so bad at all but I would not be in a hurry to do it again.

We arrived in Brisbane and collected our car from the airport branch of east coats rentals (very helpfull - picked us up from the airport & then even took us to the apartment).

The arpartment was really good and would be a definante recomendation to any one (manhatten on newstead). Furnished 2 bedrooms in quite area & underground parking. The people who run it are very nice really helpfull and were a great welcome to the country.

We then sorted out our priorities

(1) Childcare
(2) House
(3) Car
(4) Job

(1) Childcare
This is a word of warning. Childcare is really hard to sort out. What happens is you fill in the forms and then you get put on a waiting list. Once you reach the top of a list then you get a call and can go and view the place. Some nurseries have a waiting list of more than 3 months.
We phoned lots of places as we wanted to live in Wynnum (Coast side of Brisbane). We were told there was a place available but only for 4 days, turning into a 5 day place when space became available. We went looked liked and took the place. We have been told that the 5 day should be available in about a month. So I would register now if you need that space.

(2) House
This was pretty easy looked at web site then found the house. We paid 6 months rent in advance & asked for a discount. Took about a week to arrange. We used the newstead apartment as our prior address which helped.

We are now looking at buying either a house to do up, house that is done up or land. You can get cheep houses but they are not near the coast or not in a nice area. It is the sam eas the UK - You get what you pay for, but when you buy a 4 bedrooms it is a big 4 bedroom not a 2 bedroom and 2 broom cupboards like in the UK. The price is around $550k for a nice house in a nice area.

(3) Car
Lots of car places. We bought 1 big car and 1 small car. Petrol is cheaper and we know that we will be having guests so we anted that flexability.I know nothing about cars but the hubby says that you have to go one way or the other - buy new or buy old. in bretween is expensive.

My tip is is you have a BMW or merc bring it over as they are really seen as something over here ( Sell at a profit)

(4) Jobs

I am a accountant so I can not really speak for other markets but it takes alot longer to find a job here than in the UK. If i wanted a job over there it woulkd take a call to an agency and there would be jobs that I could pick & choose from. Here it takes a few weeks and several interviews.Once you have a jop then everyone is very interested. My tip would be to be as flexible as possible, take up contract roles and be realistic as to salaries (ask the agencies what they think you should be earning).

Also try and get the local qualification as well as the UK one. That really makes a difference.

On the otherhand my hubby is a Physio and he got a job withinin 1 afternoon so it must really deoend on the profession.

Getting the other stuff sorted before you look for a job is important because you need to be available just incase they have a role there and then.

I hope that this has been helpfull (and i hope interesting). Our view is that we have done the right thing. The people are really nice. The weather is great. The missing of poeple can be helped by regular phone calls. I am sure that there will be times when we think about the Uk but at the moment i love it and wish evryone still waiting all the best.

Jac
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in Brisbane - Well my life in Brisbane

Thanks for that. Very glad you have settled in so well. Look forward to more info when you have time.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jac16
I really enjoy reading about everyones life so I thought I would post details about how we have got on since arriving in Brisbane.

We applied to come over on a skilled migration visa. after nearly 2 years of paperwork & waiting we were granted our visa. 3 weeks later we were on the plane to Brisbane. We flew with Emirates - how were great. I have a small baby so we got given bulk head seat so we had lots of space and the trip went really quickly. It was my real woory but not so bad at all but I would not be in a hurry to do it again.

We arrived in Brisbane and collected our car from the airport branch of east coats rentals (very helpfull - picked us up from the airport & then even took us to the apartment).

The arpartment was really good and would be a definante recomendation to any one (manhatten on newstead). Furnished 2 bedrooms in quite area & underground parking. The people who run it are very nice really helpfull and were a great welcome to the country.

We then sorted out our priorities

(1) Childcare
(2) House
(3) Car
(4) Job

(1) Childcare
This is a word of warning. Childcare is really hard to sort out. What happens is you fill in the forms and then you get put on a waiting list. Once you reach the top of a list then you get a call and can go and view the place. Some nurseries have a waiting list of more than 3 months.
We phoned lots of places as we wanted to live in Wynnum (Coast side of Brisbane). We were told there was a place available but only for 4 days, turning into a 5 day place when space became available. We went looked liked and took the place. We have been told that the 5 day should be available in about a month. So I would register now if you need that space.

(2) House
This was pretty easy looked at web site then found the house. We paid 6 months rent in advance & asked for a discount. Took about a week to arrange. We used the newstead apartment as our prior address which helped.

We are now looking at buying either a house to do up, house that is done up or land. You can get cheep houses but they are not near the coast or not in a nice area. It is the sam eas the UK - You get what you pay for, but when you buy a 4 bedrooms it is a big 4 bedroom not a 2 bedroom and 2 broom cupboards like in the UK. The price is around $550k for a nice house in a nice area.

(3) Car
Lots of car places. We bought 1 big car and 1 small car. Petrol is cheaper and we know that we will be having guests so we anted that flexability.I know nothing about cars but the hubby says that you have to go one way or the other - buy new or buy old. in bretween is expensive.

My tip is is you have a BMW or merc bring it over as they are really seen as something over here ( Sell at a profit)

(4) Jobs

I am a accountant so I can not really speak for other markets but it takes alot longer to find a job here than in the UK. If i wanted a job over there it woulkd take a call to an agency and there would be jobs that I could pick & choose from. Here it takes a few weeks and several interviews.Once you have a jop then everyone is very interested. My tip would be to be as flexible as possible, take up contract roles and be realistic as to salaries (ask the agencies what they think you should be earning).

Also try and get the local qualification as well as the UK one. That really makes a difference.

On the otherhand my hubby is a Physio and he got a job withinin 1 afternoon so it must really deoend on the profession.

Getting the other stuff sorted before you look for a job is important because you need to be available just incase they have a role there and then.

I hope that this has been helpfull (and i hope interesting). Our view is that we have done the right thing. The people are really nice. The weather is great. The missing of poeple can be helped by regular phone calls. I am sure that there will be times when we think about the Uk but at the moment i love it and wish evryone still waiting all the best.

Jac
Well done. Now what you mean about getting work - I'm in IT and the agencies are very slow.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 12:01 am
ABCDiamond

Jac
Are you actually living in Wynnum now ?

Old Sep 4th 2004, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Jac
Are you actually living in Wynnum now ?
Yes we live in Wynnum west - near the Nazarath house
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:41 am
Badge

Good on ya is all I can say. Some people go to Australia and everything seemes hard work - others go and things fall in to place with a bit of work. It really seems sometimes like what sort of work you do etc.

BM

Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:44 am
togooff&things

Originally Posted by Badge
Good on ya is all I can say. Some people go to Australia and everything seemes hard work - others go and things fall in to place with a bit of work. It really seems sometimes like what sort of work you do etc.

BM
Yes, but I reckon that financially you perhaps had things on your side from the start. A little harder if you don't have the cash to be able to help along things to run that smoothly. I'm not meaning to critisise at all and I hope it is not taken in that way. Just, I assume that if finances are good from the offsett then things are able to run smoothly a little easier than If you go with limited funds. Hey, but that's life! Well done though and nice to hear you are getting on well. All the best.

Old Sep 4th 2004, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by togooff&things
Yes, but I reckon that financially you perhaps had things on your side from the start. A little harder if you don't have the cash to be able to help along things to run that smoothly. I'm not meaning to critisise at all and I hope it is not taken in that way. Just, I assume that if finances are good from the offsett then things are able to run smoothly a little easier than If you go with limited funds. Hey, but that's life! Well done though and nice to hear you are getting on well. All the best.
Its called planning.

Finance is only part of the planning. You still have to spend lots of time researching and when you arrive have realistic expectations. It may appear that some people have a smooth start, but that is only because they have done their homework before flying out. Yes, luck sometimes does play a part, but only a very small part, and you can make your own luck through research. Nothing ever falls into place on its own.

Its not all finances, but of course, you need to plan to have money available. Or else you are taking a huge risk. If you are young free and single, or just a couple with no kids, then the risk is maybe worth it. If you've got dependants, or ankle biters, then planning and finance are important, so when things don't run smoothly, i.e. I beleive Jac16 was saying she was having trouble finding a job she wanted, then she would have the option of looking around.

It doesn't change the basic facts. When we move here we need to get a car or cars, a job or jobs, and a house. Everyone has to do it. So you need to cut yor cloth to suit.Check out rentals that suit your budget, cars old or new that suit your budget, and most importantly, long term, check out areas and house prices that you can afford. The days are long gone when you can sell your house in the UK and buy a house on the bayside here and be mortgage free.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Sep 5th 2004, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Without going into our bank balance details I would say that having some cash to purchase things does make it alot easier (as it does in the UK) but I could not imagine trying to start a new life anywhere without incurring costs. We knew we wanted to come to oz for quicte a few years so we did a quite old fashioned thing and saved. I would not say that we have got a fortune at all but we decided what we wanted to spend money on (things in Oz) and what we did not wanted to spend money on (bring things over from UK).

We budgeted that the move would cost us £20k (£10 in the UK and then £10 setting up here). We figure that spreading that cost over the rest of our lives is very good value.

I posted our views as just that our views. Everyone will do things differentley, depnding on their circumstances and to some extent finances. I hope that no one took the view that I was trying to show off or anything like that. I meant the comments to help with poeples decison making process.

Good luck to everone who has made the move & those still hoping to.

Jac
Old Sep 5th 2004, 12:52 pm
togooff&things

Talking Re: Life in Brisbane - Well my life in Brisbane

Without going into our bank balance details I would say that having some cash to purchase things does make it alot easier (as it does in the UK) but I could not imagine trying to start a new life anywhere without incurring costs. We knew we wanted to come to oz for quicte a few years so we did a quite old fashioned thing and saved. I would not say that we have got a fortune at all but we decided what we wanted to spend money on (things in Oz) and what we did not wanted to spend money on (bring things over from UK).

We budgeted that the move would cost us £20k (£10 in the UK and then £10 setting up here). We figure that spreading that cost over the rest of our lives is very good value.

I posted our views as just that our views. Everyone will do things differentley, depnding on their circumstances and to some extent finances. I hope that no one took the view that I was trying to show off or anything like that. I meant the comments to help with poeples decison making process.

Good luck to everone who has made the move & those still hoping to.

Jac
Hi, from our view "Good on Ya!" Seriously, not taken any way other than that. If you have financial security good on ya! Please don't take us in the wrong way - great to hear pointers and tips. My comments were purely as someone had mentioned that some have an easy time and others a hard time. I was just pointing out that finances do come into it. Plans too yes...but even the best laid plans........etc....we're going hopefully with £5,000 - and that's all she wrote! (We've forked out around £3.500 additionally in migration fees etc...!) We've had nothing before and we'll have nothing again. We'd have loved to have saved more- but living here is sapping all our finances away! Yes that's with 2 kids - and bills in UK to pay off too. No house to sell as I have 3 part time jobs and not 1 full time - harder to get morgage and also prices too high here. If we had a BMW to sell in the 1st place I reckon we'd have had a little more extra to put by all round! I know it will be hard for us. I know that the move would be easier with a larger budget and all the planning in the world won't really help that much! Still, I'm up for the challenge ! And we have numerous work avenues as I am qualified to do 3 or 4 different jobs and hubby 2 -3. Nose to the grind stone and all that. Not intending you to get violins out or anything - just again showing our situation, where having a financial cushion would be great - but not possible! But if anyone can do it - we can and of that I have no doubt! Here's to an adventure for all of us!

Last edited by togooff&things; Sep 5th 2004 at 12:55 pm.

Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, from our view "Good on Ya!" Seriously, not taken any way other than that. If you have financial security good on ya! Please don't take us in the wrong way - great to hear pointers and tips. My comments were purely as someone had mentioned that some have an easy time and others a hard time. I was just pointing out that finances do come into it. Plans too yes...but even the best laid plans........etc....we're going hopefully with £5,000 - and that's all she wrote! (We've forked out around £3.500 additionally in migration fees etc...!) We've had nothing before and we'll have nothing again. We'd have loved to have saved more- but living here is sapping all our finances away! Yes that's with 2 kids - and bills in UK to pay off too. No house to sell as I have 3 part time jobs and not 1 full time - harder to get morgage and also prices too high here. If we had a BMW to sell in the 1st place I reckon we'd have had a little more extra to put by all round! I know it will be hard for us. I know that the move would be easier with a larger budget and all the planning in the world won't really help that much! Still, I'm up for the challenge ! And we have numerous work avenues as I am qualified to do 3 or 4 different jobs and hubby 2 -3. Nose to the grind stone and all that. Not intending you to get violins out or anything - just again showing our situation, where having a financial cushion would be great - but not possible! But if anyone can do it - we can and of that I have no doubt! Here's to an adventure for all of us!
Yip! Gotta say sounds like you've set yourself a challenge, but by no means impossible. If you've got the trades experience you'll find it easier than us geeks and number crunchers to find a job

Good luck with it all,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Sep 5th 2004, 4:27 pm
togooff&things

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yip! Gotta say sounds like you've set yourself a challenge, but by no means impossible. If you've got the trades experience you'll find it easier than us geeks and number crunchers to find a job

Good luck with it all,

Cheers,
JTL
LOL!
Thanks for the wishes, and same to you. We luckily do have friends and rellies in Oz though to stay with and help us make connections. What will be will be!

Old Sep 5th 2004, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Alan101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Life in Brisbane - Well my life in Brisbane

well done to you and thanks for letting us know how things have panned out for you so far.
I am sure that all the poeple who are waiting for their visa's to come through are thinking, I wish it was me.I know we are!!!!!
Why doe's it matter how well of the finances are ? I am sure that if you go to Australia with a possitive view and flexible approach your bound to suceed.
we keep getting told if you work hard you will get on, (brother in law started out as a builders mate now he is the foreman not bad for 1years work)
I am sure that most people who want to go to Australia will realise that there are bound to be bad times as well as good!!!!!
so once again good on ya and keep on informing us on how your new lives are turning out.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for clarifying that - I really wish you all the best - which ever way you get over the life is better here. I have 2 children also and I know the feeling about working to pay bills and thats it. At least here the time off that you have is spent in a better climate.

(One hint if I may - get some credit cards from the Uk - Ones with 0% interest for 6 months and then you can keep your cash while you set yourself up- Once your both working again then you can pay them off)

Old Sep 6th 2004, 10:01 am
togooff&things

Thanks for clarifying that - I really wish you all the best - which ever way you get over the life is better here. I have 2 children also and I know the feeling about working to pay bills and thats it. At least here the time off that you have is spent in a better climate.

(One hint if I may - get some credit cards from the Uk - Ones with 0% interest for 6 months and then you can keep your cash while you set yourself up- Once your both working again then you can pay them off)

Yeh, got that one sorted! Thanks for your well wishes and the same to you guys. We all have our different ways of going - but at least in all our different circumstances we're advertureous enough to give it a go! So many wish they had the guts to just get up and go! Here's to making mistakes rather than having regretts! LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.