Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life in Australia - The story so far

Life in Australia - The story so far

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Life in Australia - The story so far

Originally posted by dotty
4 replies!!!!!! These people took their time to write very honest useful informative threads about their views of OZ.

Now from reading this forum I know damn well that if they had written glorious reports of the weather after a week, big houses, pools, kids not being homesick after 6 days and how cheap the shops seemed with pounds they would now have had at least 10 times as many "good one mate" posts.

Its hardly encouraging people to bother posting on arrival is it? well unless you want to do a "having a lovely time wish you were here report".

I thought this was a positive thread too...but Dotty...why do you have a bee in your bonnet about those who are really happy and enjoying themselves? You seem to take offense at anyone coming on and saying pleasant happy things about Oz...why? I am loving Adleaide so far and genuinely have not found anything that i would consider offputting yet...should i be out looking for something?
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by podgypossum
I thought this was a positive thread too...but Dotty...why do you have a bee in your bonnet about those who are really happy and enjoying themselves? You seem to take offense at anyone coming on and saying pleasant happy things about Oz...why? I am loving Adleaide so far and genuinely have not found anything that i would consider offputting yet...should i be out looking for something?
Where have I taken offense at these people's posts! I was one of the few who replied! I merely pointed out the very obvious differences we get when someone does the "over the top having been here a fortnight gush" compared to the realisitic update these people gave. Obviously they are happy they said that.!!
Most people on here know damn well what I mean, a sunny its paradise post gets far more responses than the reality one, happy or not!

As for Adelaide, should you be looking for something? dont know, You and sunlover tell a very different story of the place in your thread. All I can say is that does show how opinions of a place after 2 weeks or after a year can vary greatly. Adelaide was on a Current Affairs show recently, I must say it agreed completely with what one of you was saying but who am I to say which one

As for roses, me nan used to say this, roses are lovely but they usually have a great big pile of horse shit under them
Dont know where I got me down to earth roots from really
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 4:46 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I merely pointed out the very obvious differences we get when someone does the "over the top having been here a fortnight gush" compared to the realisitic update these people gave. Obviously they are happy they said that.!!
Most people on here know damn well what I mean, a sunny its paradise post gets far more responses than the reality one, happy or not!

As for Adelaide, should you be looking for something? dont know, You and sunlover tell a very different story of the place in your thread. All I can say is that does show how opinions of a place after 2 weeks or after a year can vary greatly. Adelaide was on a Current Affairs show recently, I must say it agreed completely with what one of you was saying but who am I to say which one

As for roses, me nan used to say this, roses are lovely but they usually have a great big pile of horse shit under them
Begging Sunlover's pardon but admirably she has repeatedly confessed to basing life changing decisions on a her personal "been there a fortnight gush" (convincing husband to quit job etc) and also to being less than totally happy with her post-fortnight gush reality. Hopefully, something satisfying twixt pilar and post is in store.

Dotty's irritating delivery might help some find equilibrium quicker and sharpen their perspicacity. However, the views of A Current Affair viewer are somewhat suspect.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what you mean
In Perth its hot and sunny and your roses quote made me so all is well with the world. Who needs a job in paradise.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess what I don't understand is why one person has to be wrong. So Sunlover and Podgypossum have 2 different views of Adelaide. Just because Sunlover has been there longer than Podgy doesn't mean that it's just a matter of time before PP changes her view to match that of Sunlover.

We are all different people and have different needs. Would be a sad and bland world if we all agreed and wanted the same things.

As for Current Affair, what a load of crap that show is. Always looking for the little Aussie bleeder who they can manipulate to say something they can make controversial.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:59 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Beautiful location - it's inland from GOR isn't it, Cape Otway region. I've only passed thru a handful of times so all I know is that it is in the middle of gorgeous countryside. DOn't know anything about life there, however. Why Colac?

HP

We have decided to start in Colac primarily because my wife has a cousin there. They moved out about 2 years ago and really love it. Say it is great for the kids etc. Neither of us fancy being in the city or even in too big a town....we have considered Geelong.....which is why we thought about Colac. Plus, just to complicate the whole migration business my wife is expecting again at the end of March so we thought it would be better to have family around in striking distance. I do want to try and get a job at the Ford Engine plant in Geelong so maybe we would have to live closer...but the family say Colac is a commutable distance?! Decisions, decisions.... but we can't wait to get over there. We have never been to Australia at all - although my wife lived in PNG when she was younger - and most people we talk to think we are crazy for not going on holiday to case the joint first. Thanks for your reply about the gorgeous countryside though...that's encouraging.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 12:08 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

If Podgypossum is from New Zealand then anywhere in Oz will look/feel better won't it.

(only joking pp!)
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 12:32 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Vicky88,

I think you are right "We are all different people and have different needs. Would be a sad and bland world if we all agreed and wanted the same things."

Keep the different views coming, it adds to the spice of life.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Two great posts!! Glad to hear things are working out for you all.

footie chick
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by banjo
We have decided to start in Colac primarily because my wife has a cousin there. They moved out about 2 years ago and really love it. Say it is great for the kids etc. Neither of us fancy being in the city or even in too big a town....we have considered Geelong.....which is why we thought about Colac. Plus, just to complicate the whole migration business my wife is expecting again at the end of March so we thought it would be better to have family around in striking distance. I do want to try and get a job at the Ford Engine plant in Geelong so maybe we would have to live closer...but the family say Colac is a commutable distance?! Decisions, decisions.... but we can't wait to get over there. We have never been to Australia at all - although my wife lived in PNG when she was younger - and most people we talk to think we are crazy for not going on holiday to case the joint first. Thanks for your reply about the gorgeous countryside though...that's encouraging.

I'm also expecting at the end of March!
Cape Otway and inland is beautiful and green, very hilly, rolling countryside, forests, etc. It would be a great location - close to the ferocious Southern Ocean in one direction, Melbourne/Geelong in another direction, and the Grampians in a another, all whilst being a very green area itself.

Hope you have a fabulous time.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by janeyray
If Podgypossum is from New Zealand then anywhere in Oz will look/feel better won't it.

(only joking pp!)
Hi Janey

I am not a New Zealander, i am a pom from London, but i married a kiwi and lived in Auckland for 2yrs, and yes, Adelaide sure is a big improvement from Auckland.

All this crapping on about the "realities" of here there and everywhere is a nonsense really. How one person gets on in a place is always going to be very different from how another finds it. It depends on your experiences and you own attitude to life. All i am saying is, i love the city as i see it. I like the layout, i like the cleanliness, the facilities, and the beauty of it. How i get on in Adelaide further down the line is totally down to me and how i live my life.
You have two choices, you can sit back and wait for everything to happen, whinge and moan, blame the town/ people or other side issues, OR get up and make things happen for yourself.

I spent last night in a pub watching the rugby . The place was packed to the rafters with poms and aussies, baiting and teasing each other, all of us having a brilliant time. No offence was taken on either side and it turned out to be one of the best nights out i have ever had. I love the aussies sense of humour!!

I dont care if any of you slag me off for being happy... i dont care if i get strife for saying good things about my new home...i know i am not lying from my own perspective...thats how i see it.

One thing i do know... i wont be coming in here a year from now moaning and complaining about Adelaide if things change...i'll do something positive about it.... MOVE!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:48 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Well said PP!!

Elaine
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Janey

I am not a New Zealander, i am a pom from London, but i married a kiwi and lived in Auckland for 2yrs, and yes, Adelaide sure is a big improvement from Auckland.

All this crapping on about the "realities" of here there and everywhere is a nonsense really. How one person gets on in a place is always going to be very different from how another finds it. It depends on your experiences and you own attitude to life. All i am saying is, i love the city as i see it. I like the layout, i like the cleanliness, the facilities, and the beauty of it. How i get on in Adelaide further down the line is totally down to me and how i live my life.
You have two choices, you can sit back and wait for everything to happen, whinge and moan, blame the town/ people or other side issues, OR get up and make things happen for yourself.

I spent last night in a pub watching the rugby . The place was packed to the rafters with poms and aussies, baiting and teasing each other, all of us having a brilliant time. No offence was taken on either side and it turned out to be one of the best nights out i have ever had. I love the aussies sense of humour!!

I dont care if any of you slag me off for being happy... i dont care if i get strife for saying good things about my new home...i know i am not lying from my own perspective...thats how i see it.

One thing i
do know... i wont be coming in here a year from now moaning and complaining about Adelaide if things change...i'll do something positive about it.... MOVE!!!
You go girl! i totally agree with that! we as you know are off to the Hinterland asap, having never been before, rightly or wrongly (that is our choice), we will stay in Australia for 2 years and if after that we dont' like it where we are we will move (our choice),
best of luck to you PP. i like your attitude
rach, mark and chanelle x
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 9:57 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi podgypossum,

I like your style, i'll do something positive about it.... MOVE!!!"

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 10:33 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

All this crapping on about the "realities" of here there and everywhere is a nonsense really.
The reality is that there are too many Whinging Bloody Poms who'll regale all and sundry with tales of woe once their un-realistic dreams go bung. Blame everyone and everything but their failure to see past their noses.

Now if they had preserved your current attitude ...
One thing i do know... i wont be coming in here a year from now moaning and complaining about Adelaide if things change...i'll do something positive about it.... MOVE!!!

Last edited by Megalania; Nov 22nd 2003 at 10:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.