Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Liability during test drive

Liability during test drive

Old May 1st 2006, 7:28 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Liability during test drive

Does anybody know who holds liability for damage to a car during a test drive.

While out with the dealer test driving a used 2003 toyota camry the car was damaged by a cyclist.

Damage to his bike A$600, damage estimated to rear passenger door A$1600.

The dealer was driving at the time. We were in downtown Melbourne and stationery behind a number of cars. My wife suggested getting out to get some milk for the young one (who had fallen asleep in the car seat). We were going to go around the block and pick her up. As she tried to exit the car a cyclist came down the hill and slammed into the door. The damage to the door is caused by the impact pushing the door forward (huge crease and door does not shut ).

As we were stationery the car on the left (parked) also had its bonnet up as it was broken down. Surely this would of given the cyclist to slow down on approaching us? I was in the front passenger seat and thinking of getting out first to open the door for my wife (which is something I do alot) and didnt see the cyclist until he was halfway through the door. He must of been going excessively fast - he even muttered in his state of shock to himself that he was travelling to fast.

The dealer says they will contribute only the first $600 to the cost - the rest is our responsibility. Told him in blunt kiwi terms what I thought. But has anyone else been in similar circumstances?? I thought the driver of the car was responsible as they should advise passengers whether it was safe or not to enter/exit car?

Apart from this incident having a great time - daughter loves her new country.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liability during test drive

The dealers insurance should cover it, surely?
Old May 1st 2006, 7:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
The dealers insurance should cover it, surely?
I agree. I'd tell the dealer to get stretched if he tried to pull that one on me.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by thebears

While out with the dealer test driving a used 2003 toyota camry the car was damaged by a cyclist.

The dealer was driving at the time. We were in downtown Melbourne and stationery behind a number of cars. My wife suggested getting out to get some milk for the young one (who had fallen asleep in the car seat). We were going to go around the block and pick her up. As she tried to exit the car a cyclist came down the hill and slammed into the door. The damage to the door is caused by the impact pushing the door forward (huge crease and door does not shut ).

As we were stationery the car on the left (parked) also had its bonnet up as it was broken down. Surely this would of given the cyclist to slow down on approaching us? I was in the front passenger seat and thinking of getting out first to open the door for my wife (which is something I do alot) and didnt see the cyclist until he was halfway through the door. He must of been going excessively fast - he even muttered in his state of shock to himself that he was travelling to fast.

The dealer says they will contribute only the first $600 to the cost - the rest is our responsibility. Told him in blunt kiwi terms what I thought. But has anyone else been in similar circumstances?? I thought the driver of the car was responsible as they should advise passengers whether it was safe or not to enter/exit car?

DEALER is trying it on to see if you will pay save his insurance. they have their own insurance and i bet he will get his own people to do the work. remember he was driving the car so its his responsibility if he harasses you i strongly suggest you dont talk to him and go and see a solicitor and tell them to make contact with your solicitor in future that will scare the rat off.

Last edited by pomref; May 1st 2006 at 8:14 am.
Old May 1st 2006, 8:00 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Ask him to rearrange these words into a famous saying.

****ED

AND

GO

GET

Old May 1st 2006, 8:37 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

You are surely not saying that this accident was caused by the cyclist? I am sorry but from what you say it was your wife's fault. Whether the cyclist was going fast or not she should have looked before opening the door.
Old May 1st 2006, 8:40 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Liability during test drive

Hi S, E and C,

I cant comment on the law in Oz but it is based on British laws. In the UK the driver of the vehicle is responsible for everything that happens while he is driving it. It may be his fault, it may be the cyclists fault, thats for insurance companies and the courts to sort out, but there is no way it would be a passengers fault.

Really glad to hear C is enjoying herself!

Cheers guys

Buzzy
Old May 1st 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi S, E and C,

I cant comment on the law in Oz but it is based on British laws. In the UK the driver of the vehicle is responsible for everything that happens while he is driving it. It may be his fault, it may be the cyclists fault, thats for insurance companies and the courts to sort out, but there is no way it would be a passengers fault.

Really glad to hear C is enjoying herself!

Cheers guys

Buzzy
I agree 100% with u on this
Old May 1st 2006, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

sherbet shane

I am just glad no one was seriously injured. your poor wife does always seem to be the one at the brunt of bad luck with cars. I am thinking back to her x5 incident you mentioned.

I am sure the dealership is just trying to pull a swifty.

On another subject though I know you tried to send my a pm I couldnt open it as my inbox is full and being the blonde I am couldnt work out how to delete any. Anyway I have done it now but still cant retrieve your message so can I ask again. Was it 10 each or just you and your wife,

ta nicola
Old May 1st 2006, 9:02 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

i would say that it's your wife's fault, however, his insurance should cover it. they may try and get you to pay for any excess on the policy. although if wants to stand any chance of you buying a car from him then he'll have to waver this. so you shouldn't have to pay out for anything.
Old May 1st 2006, 9:34 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=nicola411]sherbet shane

I am just glad no one was seriously injured. your poor wife does always seem to be the one at the brunt of bad luck with cars. I am thinking back to her x5 incident you mentioned.

I am sure the dealership is just trying to pull a swifty.

Hi Nicola, Buzzy and others

Thinking of buying the wife a tank for her birthday. Might need parking sensors though

It was A$10K per passenger - according to the landing cards.

Thanks for the replies re the car. The dealer will be talking with his boss and calling me back tommorrow. I do love a good tit tat with dealers be they car, estate or employment .

On a better note my daughter has her first day at nursery tommorrow and she has already been invited to a 5 year old birthday party, (fancy dress - wife got her a fairy outfit).

Life is good over here - the people are really friendly and go out of there way to help.

Kiwi
Old May 1st 2006, 10:06 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Which side of the car did the cyclist hit, cos if its the left side he should not over take on the left, only allowed on the right.

I would have told the dealer where he can shove his dented car.
Old May 1st 2006, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree. I'd tell the dealer to get stretched if he tried to pull that one on me.
Seems to me, if the dealer is driving, and its his car, that goes along way to him covering the billl.
Old May 1st 2006, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

I would highly recommend seeking legal advice over this one as I think there may be issues about exiting from a car that is on the road, as opposed to parked at the side of the road (even if the car is stationary in traffic!)

there's also not just the damage caused but the potential for the cyclist to sue for damages/medical fees etc. even if he did admit to going too fast, if there is something about it being illegal to open a car door unless it's parked then it could end up being your wife who is liable as she opened the door!

chepaest (i.e. free) way to get leagl advice is to see if there's a local legal cline in your area. check the National Association of Community Legal Centres http://www.naclc.org.au to find your nearest one!