Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's make a list - things you haggle over (and things you can't)

Let's make a list - things you haggle over (and things you can't)

Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:28 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's make a list - things you haggle over (and things you can't)

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Judging by the number of hotels on wotif.com, it's pretty common to offer reduced rates.

A couple of years ago I rented a 3 bed detached cottage in Yarralumla in Canberra (nice area) for $300 a week - it was advertised at $350. That was lucky though, the vacancy rate right now is 1%.

On the downside, I spent $1700 on a new laptop and some accessories at Harris Technology in North Sydney, and when I asked the manager if there was any chance of a discount or freebie he looked at me like I'd just spat on him. His loss. I know where I won't be going when I need some new stuff...

Big.
I think I would have just walked away. If he had wanted your trade, he would have done something. There are some cracking deals on for laptops at the moment... Just have to know where to look!

S
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:31 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Ok... so all this talk about deals has got me wondering where are the best deals for say furniture, appliances and electronics?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Let's make a list - things you haggle over (and things you can't)

Can: Ladies of the night.

Or so I'm told.....
Old Dec 19th 2006, 6:07 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wol

Or so I'm told.....

That's what they always say!!

Old Dec 19th 2006, 7:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Ok... so all this talk about deals has got me wondering where are the best deals for say furniture, appliances and electronics?
If you buy it all from the same place they are usually more willing to deal. We bought fridge, washing machine, dryer, stereo system, various small appliances and area rug from Harvey Norman. They took about 15% off the price because we paid in cash. When the guy rang everything up I told him it still looked a little higher than we wanted to pay so he threw in free delivery. And when the stuff came, he had upgraded the dryer to a better model and the fridge was upgraded to stainless at no cost. (Ron had said he wanted stainless, but I was not willing to pay an extra $100 for it).

LeCorneau in Adelaide...bought double bed and mattress set for son, leather lounge suite, 2 wood chests of drawers, patio set and another area rug. Again large discount for paying cash. And the sales guy was Canadian and we had only been her about 2 weeks when we went shopping so I think he felt sorry for us.

Last edited by Dorothy; Dec 19th 2006 at 7:54 am. Reason: space bar is sticking and had to put in spaces.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:09 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Or so I'm told.....

In parts of South East Asia everything's negotible.

Can get a tad annoying though, when you only want a bottle of water:

"Uh here we go again: 60 Baht for that, you must be joking!"

Big.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to allBonnybute is a name known to all

I find the thought of haggling over "everything", seriously disturbing...

Who has that kind of time.... I've never had to haggle for anything, and this is putting me off relocating...

Why do we need to haggle?? I don't get it...

Bonny
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:06 pm
Canuck/Aussie

I've always hated haggling myself. I would much rather pay the fair price right away then go through all that hassle. It's never occured to me to haggle here in Canada except on cars, houses and maybe contract work. It's quite possible that lots of people do it but I just don't hear about it very much.

Also I should note that we don't HAVE to haggle, but we would probably pay more if we don't

For some reason I can't seem to edit my original post so here's the list again:

To Haggle
Electronics - around 15%
Furniture - around 15%
Contract work (renovations, pools, etc)
Vehicles
Hotel accommodation
Rentals
Foreign exchange transactions
Ladies of the night :scared:

Not to Haggle
Certain take out food (McDonalds, etc)
Rego
Private health care
Bus fare
Grocery shopping

My plan is definitely to do all our big purchases at once (furniture, appliances maybe electronics) in order to save as much as possible. We will be bringing furniture with us but we don't have much and most of it is just ok.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:05 am

MalvernMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by comet555
Ok... so I've seen a lot of discussion on haggling over prices. So I thought maybe we could compile a list of things you can haggle over, and things you can't. Please add to the list.

Also if you can estimate what % you knocked off, and the store I'm sure everyone would like to know.

I will add to this list as people post:

To Haggle
Electronics
Furniture
Contract work (renovations, pools, etc)
Vehicles
Hotel accommodation
Rentals
Foreign exchange transactions

Not to Haggle
Certain take out food (McDonalds, etc)
Rego
Private health care
Bus fare
Grocery shopping
What about "adult exercise" with the wife?

Oh sorry that comes under begging
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MalvernMan
What about "adult exercise" with the wife?

Oh sorry that comes under begging
She's not called a hag for nothing
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:47 am

MalvernMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
She's not called a hag for nothing
When we got hitched she was closer to a lucy lu with tartan skirt
Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of those things that are on the 'can haggle' list can be haggled over in the UK too. Certainly electronics, furniture, hotels, construction work. It depends what is of more value to you - a straightforward transaction without haggling, or a cheap price even if you have to invest time and effort getting it reduced. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle of haggling!