Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's just cut the crap and have a forum love-in

Let's just cut the crap and have a forum love-in

Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Let's just cut the crap and have a forum love-in

There's been many a post now about negative posters etc. so I thought it was well past the time for a "forum love-in". So, get your sick bags out and let's hug some trees and share our good experiences of the forum.
OK, I'll start you off.
This forum has been a source of constant support, from applying to my visa... going through all the months of waiting (nearly there now) and I've found out many a fact, ranging from the ridiculous (I'm thinking of Megs, makes me laugh) to the sublime.
Recently I was asking for stuff about the bond... within minutes I had a really helpful pm from Debsy and then one from Lisa (Pete n Lisa). I'd been faffing about getting nowhere and those pms really helped me out.
When my dad had his stroke, I got so much support and encouragement from you all, despite the fact it wasn't Aus/NZ related, plus its prolly something you don't want to think of when you're going through this crazy process.
Expats like ABCD and Mrs D have always jumped on with helpful info and never critised me for asking about stupid stuff.
I could go on all day, so many people have been great to chat to, then there's other who have gone to such trouble to share their experiences / info... e.g. Baldbutts, that post about electricians must have taken him ages!
So, a big thankyou and many smooches to you all
x x x x x x x x x x x x
Can't go on much longer, toddler is wanting attention
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:28 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Here, here!

It's great: very helpful(I'm thinking job application, visa, etc etc etc), much fun/laughs, interesting, I've learned heaps(about Oz and the UK ), made friends etc etc
And I'm not even British!
I sometimes think about that it must be wierd(for some people) to see me on this forum this much, even though I'm not even British!!!
Ok, it helps that I'm sort of half Australian, which makes it a little bit less wierd, but still!

I haven't needed any support, yet, but I'm sure I will in the future. We'll just have to wait and see how that goes....

Hey, have you guys noticed Megs is less cryptical in his posts lately?? It's great, now I can understand most of them!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:30 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons I love this forum, in addition to the whole support and advice thing, is that it keeps me in touch with Oz and all things Australian. Having been back in the UK for nearly 4 years now, it's hard not to lose touch with what life is like in Oz...
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
Hey, have you guys noticed Megs is less cryptical in his posts lately?? It's great, now I can understand most of them!
That's worrying Simone, I've noticed it too. Perhaps we are beginning to think like Megs, next thing we'll be speaking like Megs and then they will want to lock us up!
BTW Anyone know of any good psychiatric units in Perth lol?
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:42 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto Larissa!!

Although I didn't discover this forum until AFTER we'd got our visa's AND validated them, I have found this forum to be really helpful and I've made a lot of really good friends on here . There's always someone there to offer people advice when they ask and to offer lots of info. No-one has a go for asking what they may feel is a stupid question...but no question is stupid if you don't know the answer.

With all the aggro I've been having with my house and estate agents etc, I've been given a real boost by many on here who've offered their support and advice. Oh and virtual alcohol to calm my rage and frustration

When we decided what area in Brisbane we wanted to settle, after talking to people who already live there, they've made me feel really welcome and we're not even there yet! Shucks guys...you know who you are...Michaela...Pollyana...

But anyways....hugs...snogs...and a big cyber hug to all of ya....
Attached Thumbnails Let's just cut the crap and have a forum love-in-smileyhug.gif  
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:42 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Larissa
That's worrying Simone, I've noticed it too. Perhaps we are beginning to think like Megs, next thing we'll be speaking like Megs and then they will want to lock us up!
:scared:

Bundy, I agree. I've been away for 8 years, and only spent my childhood there, so for one, I don't really know what it'll be like as an adult, two, I had rosetinted childhood memories, three, we didn't live in Perth(only in the beginning), so I don't actually even know that much about Perth.
So, very useful this forum.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by artep

When we decided what area in Brisbane we wanted to settle, after talking to people who already live there, they've made me feel really welcome and we're not even there yet! Shucks guys...you know who you are...Michaela...Pollyana...

But anyways....hugs...snogs...and a big cyber hug to all of ya....
I know what you mean Petra. It's so reasurring to know that there are friendly peeps already there. It's going to be such a huge step to take, so we're going to need all our mates to turn too! It's not like we won't make Aussie mates or be totally dependent on Expats for friends, it just helps to have people who have been through it too!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, big hugs all round, forget all the arguing, we're just a big bunch of mates really! Artep, get over here and join the Brissie Drinkers Club, and can I take this opportunity to thank everyone for the support they've iven ME over the last few months, though many of you may not have realised I needed it!

Big hugs!!!
Attached Thumbnails Let's just cut the crap and have a forum love-in-image005.jpg  
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:50 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmm brissy drinkers club.....I like the sound of that!! No weird initiation ceremonies tho are there?
If it's drinking copious amounts of either beer or red wine.....or even both together...I'll be fine!!!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:20 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Larissa
The Hidden Code of Cryptic Crosswords

Like Singing in the Rain, Howling at the Moon?
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:28 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Megalania
The Hidden Code of Cryptic Crosswords

Like Singing in the Rain, Howling at the Moon?
Nope!

And I totally suck at puzzles and crosswords, especially the cryptic ones!!! :scared:
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:34 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Good call - gotta say I've had a load of help from posters on here and not sure how I'd be doing without the advice, and occassional pm's.

Just wish I could help more people. maybe when I get there eh.

To all you regular posters, I know you may sometimes feel like you're repeating yourself but please grin and bear it. The search facility can be boring, and for newbies its nice sometimes to introduce yourself with a question. Even if that q's been asked before its a good ice breaker and can get you talking to the more experienced posters. And you're all such lovely jubly people that it'd be a shame not to!

Personally I'm not too comfortable posting my own problems, but I know that if I did, 99% of the response would be helpful - and I dont know why, but that in itself helps.

Anyway, nough loved up twaddle from me.

Peace brothers and sisters!!

Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:39 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by loose

To all you regular posters, I know you may sometimes feel like you're repeating yourself but please grin and bear it. The search facility can be boring, and for newbies its nice sometimes to introduce yourself with a question. Even if that q's been asked before its a good ice breaker and can get you talking to the more experienced posters. And you're all such lovely jubly people that it'd be a shame not to!

Good point, well made Loose. Everyone was a newbie once and there's nothing worse than posting your first ever thread and either getting no replies, or being told it's been covered before (with no helpful link).
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:42 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I would just like to say im in love with you all!
been through some crappy times, and having my family all fail to support me, its been down to friends and the good folks on here.

*sniff*

.....even if you all are buggering off to Oz and leaving me here on my own!!!!!

*sniff*

sue
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:44 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
I would just like to say im in love with you all!
been through some crappy times, and having my family all fail to support me, its been down to friends and the good folks on here.

*sniff*

.....even if you all are buggering off to Oz and leaving me here on my own!!!!!

*sniff*

sue
To keep the home fires burning, Sue. Just in case we all have to come crawling back, tails between our legs if the old rose tinters fall off.

You can be our UK corresondent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.