Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lets Just Cut The CRAP!

Wikiposts

Lets Just Cut The CRAP!

Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:41 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lets Just Cut The CRAP!

Originally posted by lostkiwi
Is it just me or does anyone else get the feeling that the forum is off the rails?

There are now far more posts about nothing useful or insightful at all than I've ever seen before.

I'm all for a bit of banter - not at the expense of useful info, commentary on recent experiences relevant to the immigration process, lifestyle comments (relative to Oz/NZ) ... which is the purpose of the forum...isn't it?

maybe I'm just in a bad mood?
now uv put everyone off my trees
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:43 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, clearly it is just me.

Soapy - yes you are right, I did prove my own point. Yesterday I posted a (fairly simple) question about response times.... 1 answer... today, mention "crap" in the title... see a wave of response.

I'll step down
LOL. It's a good point though, and it is a shame when the forum goes through quiet phases with no questions about anything. But at the end of the day, this forum is still a total lifesaver in terms of the information available.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

. But I'm more worry/annoyed (whatever) about the fact that, posts about nothing in particular can get 630 responses but more and more valid questions are getting ignored? It occurs to me that the two are related...

Personally I don't want to see what has been an incredibly valueable resource for all of us that have used it for any length of time, be turned into a simple, pointless chat room.
I don't think the two are related. Some questions are hard to answer.

Not sure how long you're a member here, but I can say one thing: there used to be MUCH MUCH more chatting, and hijacking of posts!

And most of the 'serious' posts in here, actually belong in the immi forum.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:45 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling

The fact it had so many reponses must mean something.

G
Plus the fact that it was just really funny
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:45 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, clearly it is just me.

Soapy - yes you are right, I did prove my own point. Yesterday I posted a (fairly simple) question about response times.... 1 answer... today, mention "crap" in the title... see a wave of response.

I'll step down
ah so your bitter
your right mate. it does get like that at time. but some of the daft posts are funny
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:56 am
Impressive Member

lostkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

been on here for 18 months. Watched PB come and go etc etc...

Was just trying to make a point that it can become tiresome to open up the forum every day (or every hour) to see the same 5-6 posts at the top of the list day, after day.... then you have to trawl through to find anything useful.

Immi forum is a good point, but I'm not just talking about "what form to use" type questions...

Grayling, you post is just one of many, I wasn't singling you out.

Bundy you may actually have the answer - lack of good questions.... maybe that is a large part of it.

Clearly I'm out voted on this one. I'm man enough to admit maybe I am wrong.

Also I don't want to see an end to funny topics, they amuse me as much as anyone else, hell if you search you will see i have participated in them. My only point is that I hope this forum never looses its original point.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:59 am
She's a bird, you know

Was just trying to make a point that it can become tiresome to open up the forum every day (or every hour) to see the same 5-6 posts at the top of the list day, after day.... then you have to trawl through to find anything useful.

Immi forum is a good point, but I'm not just talking about "what form to use" type questions...

Bundy you may actually have the answer - lack of good questions.... maybe that is a large part of it.

Also I don't want to see an end to funny topics, they amuse me as much as anyone else, hell if you search you will see i have participated in them. My only point is that I hope this forum never looses its original point.
Wasn't a question of being right or wrong...just a valid discussion, I think.

And I've just spent the last 10 minutes trying to think of a serious question. Couldn't do it - this forum has answered all the questions I ever had!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:59 am
Master of verbal pish©

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lostkiwi
did it have one to begin with????
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:02 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally posted by bundy
Wasn't a question of being right or wrong...just a valid discussion, I think.

And I've just spent the last 10 minutes trying to think of a serious question. Couldn't do it - this forum has answered all the questions I ever had!
oh ive had a few unanswered. well, not the answer i wanted
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Lostkiwi

You do have a good point but it did get quite unpleasant on some threads.

The thread on healthcare insurance costs for the over 30's got very few responses but would be very useful for most of us.

A lot don't know the answers but some IMO simply became afraid of posting in case they were attacked.

Just my view.

G
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:08 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

more and more valid questions are getting ignored
I suspect that sometimes it's simply that nobody has a good answer. I've had stuff go unanswered here before.

Perversely it can be a relief when the same questions get posted and when most(?) postings are dross. It encourages me to think that there aren't yet more nasty issues lurking that I've completely overlooked!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:11 am
She's a bird, you know

Simone's right though. You hardly see any of the familiar faces from this forum in the immi one, and that's where people need the most help and advice. I've mentioned this before - those who have already got their visas should check the immi forum every now and then and help those who are struggling with the serious questions.

I usually end up posting the same question in both forums, just to ensure someone answers because that's more likely in the lifestyle forum, even though it's not technically the place for immi questions.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:13 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I also hope it doesn't lose it's original point!

But it already has! Most of the posts(well, many), belong in the immi forum, including your question on response times!
(can't answer that one by the way! Sorry! I think many don't know the answer!)
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:15 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone's right though. You hardly see any of the familiar faces from this forum in the immi one, and that's where people need the most help and advice. I've mentioned this before - those who have already got their visas should check the immi forum every now and then and help those who are struggling with the serious questions.

I usually end up posting the same question in both forums, just to ensure someone answers because that's more likely in the lifestyle forum, even though it's not technically the place for immi questions.
Yeah, that's understandable!

You know what I do when I go to the immi forum(at least once a day, could be more!), I scan the whole list and look at the ones which have 0 replies and see if I can answer them!(usually not, but oh well....)
Old Jun 17th 2004, 5:53 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Simone's right though. You hardly see any of the familiar faces from this forum in the immi one
I was tracking this forum for quite some time before I even noticed that there was another forum for "proper" immigration issues. (Well this one appears first in the list on the main page.) Seems a bit unnecessarily confusing to me. Now I'm wondering what juicy gems I've missed! (Can gems be juicy? There's an oxymoron for you.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.