Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Let's be friends?

Let's be friends?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's be friends?

If you just say 'I think all Australians are great' you'll be fine

Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmmmmmmmm..... thats probably not true but the ones ive come into contact with have been most helpful and its nice to go into a shop and see a bright and friendly face,not like back in england
Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
If you just say 'I think all Australians are great' you'll be fine

Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
awwww.... no need to be shy on here,everyone just wants some friendly advice,ive taken alot over the past year now im glad to give some back
how long have you been here?

tracey
What on the BE site or in Cairns???

Cairns nearly 11 months
BE prob about 18-2 yrs not sure!

Yeah, I know what you mean, we were given a lot of advice also, so it is good to share that with others isn't it? One does try to be 'nice'

We are loving it hear, as are you I think - according to Bix anyways!

Getting back to the first post, people are people, wherever you live, there will always be someone who just does not want to except something about you, whether it be you were born in their country, or born in their county - does not matter - thats life for ya

Everyone have a good weekend

cya
Gill

Last edited by Bix da Boss; Sep 9th 2005 at 1:39 am.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mmmmmmmmmmmm..... thats probably not true but the ones ive come into contact with have been most helpful and its nice to go into a shop and see a bright and friendly face,not like back in england
I was sort of joking

Cor blimey - I have to agree with you yet again scissors - this is worrying

You're so right m8! It was great when we first arrived and still is to be greeted by smiling friendly faces in all the shops and supermarkets we go!'G'day how ya goin' - was one of their fav lines and it made us laugh - never knew quite how to answer that one - used to say - stupidly - 'we're goin fine thanks' lol!

gx

Last edited by Bix da Boss; Sep 9th 2005 at 1:47 am.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by November11
Is it true that Australians don't like the English?

I am hoping to emmigrate with my 17 year old son and I am worried that he may meet with bad feeling from Australians?
Do you know what , my kids are 7, 11 , 12 and the kids at schol love their accents, and they are brilliant, we have been here 10 months, my 19 yr old daughter has made loads of friends the phone never stops ringing, they are so nice to her and look after her, when i go shopping the customer service is fantastic and they love our accent[ northern lancashire las] the only thing i have found is some of mums at school a bit clicky, but you will get that anywhere, but i have not met anyone that has been horrible. We have made some lovely friends most of them aussys, you get good and bad wherever you are. Denise
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

yes we found it strange to know how to answer to streat with to but now we say we re fina how bout you,its kinda friendly isnt it,then more often than not they ask if we re english and how long we have been here and the conversation gets going,we ve made a few friends like that
i cant get over how many bakeries there are,wish they wouldnt smell so good
and on that note..im off for lunch with the girls its a hard life out here isnt it

speak soon hunny,sound like we got a lot in common,lol.
Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
I was sort of joking

Cor blimey - I have to agree with you yet again scissors - this is worrying

You're so right m8! It was great when we first arrived and still is to be greeted by smiling friendly faces in all the shops and supermarkets we go!'G'day how ya goin' - was one of their fav lines and it made us laugh - never knew quite how to answer that one - used to say - stupidly - 'we're goin fine thanks' lol!

gx
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:46 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, they are mostly a friendly bunch. If anything too friendly. Just cos i've got an Irish accent, I don't really want to hear about the till girls Irish ancestry. But I get to hear it anyway.

Or how the bottle shop guys son is teaching in England

Or all the mad old scots women who want to discuss their childhood in Glasgow...

You'll find most Aussies can trace their roots back to somewhere, so you usually end up discussing the finer points of Keswick or Girvan or somewhere.

Oh, and Aussies confuse Irish accents and American accents

I'm from Boston apparently
Old Sep 9th 2005, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

yes we found it strange to know how to answer to streat with to but now we say we re fina how bout you,its kinda friendly isnt it,then more often than not they ask if we re english and how long we have been here and the conversation gets going,we ve made a few friends like that
i cant get over how many bakeries there are,wish they wouldnt smell so good
and on that note..im off for lunch with the girls its a hard life out here isnt it.

speak soon hunny,sound like we got a lot in common,lol.

Sorry, tried to resist answering this one - but again, you are so right! That is how most of my conversations get going with complete strangers - but then, out of some strangers you make good friends like you say In saying that, we have just met another expat who we were in contact with on-line and has just arrived in Cairns - hit it off first meeting and are now good friends - so there ya go.

Hope you have a good lunch with da girls - cya - mean it this time
Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It could even be possible, that Poms are more accepted here, than Aussies are welcomed in the UK !

Most Aussies, once you get to know them are genuinely interested in England, as they see it as a acceptable base for European holidays.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:28 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by banjo
We heard a lot of that sort of thing before we came as well. So far....19mths on I can honestly say we haven't come across it at all. Nothing but warm and friendly people who are keen to help you settle into their country - and often genuinely thrilled that you would choose to come and live here.

Only spent 3 weeks in Oz, but EVERYONE we came across was like this about our plans to try and return for good!

Our accents would trigger a conversation every time the missus opened her gob tho! ...lol

We did have a little ribbing tho when we went into a bank one day about the cricket (don't follow it personally, I know!! ..... that will HAVE to change! ...lol ) from the lady behind the till cos we'd lost that day.

I did have the most pleasure tho returning to cash a cheque when the next game was played and we'd won! ...

All good fun tho and nothing more than that I see it as! ...
Old Sep 9th 2005, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Most Aussies, once you get to know them are genuinely interested in England, as they see it as a acceptable base for European holidays.

Bang on! ... and I come into contact with many Aussies doin exactly that! I meet loads of the 'high flyer' type who are working in the city (London) doin top paying jobs, seeing a lot of Europe, and pretty much ALL plan to return to Oz at later date.

Not many want to stay forever funny enough!

I wonder why? ...

I don't blame them to be honest, I would in their position.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I am hoping to emmigrate with my 17 year old son and I am worried that he may meet with bad feeling from Australians?
Yeah my Aussie husband can't stand the brits he thinks they're rubbish
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

linnie2003 is on a distinguished road

I think it might depend on the outcome of the ashes!!!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm - been monitoring this thread with interest. Don't think it's turned out quite the way Darren (he of FuzzyDuck and numerous other equally crap names) hoped it would pan out. Try again mate - something a little more contentious next time, like say, Aborigines.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 8:52 am
Professional Princess

Hello November11.

I think like anywhere, it depends on how you come across.

Be open minded, friendly and accept the fact that there are good and bad people everywhere and you and your son should be fine.

It can take months/years to settle into a new country.

And if you are prepared to work hard and accept the hand of friendship, then phase One of the migration process which is the hardest, will tick along just nicely.

And when you are sitting there with your son, having a cold beer and you're settled, you know you have made it.

Job well done.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.