Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Length of CV for NZ

Wikiposts

Length of CV for NZ

Old Dec 7th 2004, 5:50 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Length of CV for NZ

Greetings,

We recently signed up (and paid up-front) for a NZ immigration consultant to assist with our immigration application process etcetera.

One of the many paper preparations is for me to update my CV and I asked the question as to how far back my CV should go and the response was all the way back to my first employment. I started working in 1978 which could end up in quite a lengthy CV and this is where I would like to get other opinions.

I have recently browsed around some of the recruitment sites and have noticed that they request a four-page CV. I would be very grateful to receive input with regards to this matter as once again I have a wee twinge in my tummy regarding our immigration consultant. :scared:

On that note and seeing other posts at the Brit Ex Pats site regarding getting ripped off from so-called immigration consultants it would seem that these companies / individuals should be governed in some form. From my recent experience I have seen that the NZ government spend lots of time, energy and money to present a great image to prospective immigrants whom they would like to attract to re-locate to their beautiful country and the first business that potential immigrants are going to experience with a Kiwi is their immigration consultant and if that is sour it isn’t exactly in the keeping with the rest of picture.

That’s just my five cents worth as one of the greatest attractions (coming from South Africa you can imagine) is that NZ was voted second most honest country.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this & to those that reply.

Warm regards

Campbell
Old Dec 7th 2004, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Length of CV for NZ

Not sure about NZ TBH but had a similar thing with our agent when applying for skills assessment for OZ.

I have always tried to keep my CV down to 2 pages max. as I'm a contract draftsman so work on a week-to-week basis here in the UK and have had some contracts that last only a couple of months. You can imagine that after 12 or so years of doing this I have worked at many firms so tyr and keep it brief - position held, name of employer, main contracts worked on etc. as always felt if it was more than a couple of pages it would get binned!

anyways, I sent my CV to our migration agent and he asked me to put as much detail as possible on my CV both about my duties and jobs worked on, skills aquired etc. etc.

Don't forget, presumably this is just for the NZ immigration to sell yourself to them and their assessors, not for applying for a job.

Andy.

PS - always found our agent to be a bit of a cold fish, always kept it business like, no having a laugh or informal chats by e-mail but I guess they are a) busy b) don't want to come across as too familiar.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi there

MY CV was about just over 4 pages, and I was told thats about right. The norm seems to be 4-5 pages.

You need to highlight your most recent jobs/experiences more, for dates further back you can just mention your job title and company you worked for.
Becoz NZ companies wont know the names of your employers, put in a short two line description of the companies you worked for, what they do and how big they are etc.

Also be prepared to have references ready, at least two.

good luck
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:00 am
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Certainly the norm in Oz is to keep the resume to 2 pages.Most recruitment agencies advocate this.
You shloud also tailor each resume to the job you are applying for.
The new buzz word is transferable skills- what you can bring to the employer.
You can go back as far as 10 years but unless it is relevent forget it .
Your previous work history should be in bullet form to keep it short.
I would start with the heading "skills and experience, in point form , followed by qualifications and then point form of your work history -you can mention any achievements here.
Remember employers read lots of resume's you have to grab them in the first few lines or you're in the bin.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cadman

Don't forget, presumably this is just for the NZ immigration to sell yourself to them and their assessors, not for applying for a job
I think you're missing the point guys!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 4:43 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Greetings ,

Thanks to you all for posting your input to my question.

There are two points being made here which are that my CV will go to the NZIS and also my prospective employer in NZ.

I am open to correction on this but the process that we are going to embark on is that we are going to NZ without a job offer. Yup, we’re taking the plunge. To explain that one is that we are currently living in South Africa and have a wee nipper that is nearly two & the prospects for his future here - :scared: ???

We are only going to submit our EOI once I have a job offer over there so the immediate focus is on the NZ potential employers and for my CV to be in the format that they are used to receiving or even better to jump right out at them, so I think doing a bit of research on the matter is worth the effort.

At the end of the day I have commented on the cost of our immigration consultant who does get involved in the job search but the bottom line is that I am not prepared to leave my career in no-one’s hands.

Not sure how that would work, that if I had two different versions (obviously the same info), a shortened version for job hunting and the full monty to submit to NZIS. I guess I could also submit my CV to prospective employers in the short version and offer on request that they can have the expanded version.

My experience (here in SA) with job search is that they want to know the experience gained in respect of the position you are applying for. Once you are at interview stage with the prospective employer they may want to go back to your very first job.

Just a thought. Is the onus on the prospective employer (New Zealand) to check-out your CV or with the NZIS and they can verify that to prospective employers?

I am going to post this question on the NZ info board. If I get a response I will post it back here in hope of some clarification.

A thanks again to you all and it has been interesting reading.

Warm regards

Campbell.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Campbells
Greetings ,

There are two points being made here which are that my CV will go to the NZIS and also my prospective employer in NZ.

I am open to correction on this but the process that we are going to embark on is that we are going to NZ without a job offer. Yup, we’re taking the plunge. To explain that one is that we are currently living in South Africa and have a wee nipper that is nearly two & the prospects for his future here - :scared: ???

We are only going to submit our EOI once I have a job offer over there so the immediate focus is on the NZ potential employers and for my CV to be in the format that they are used to receiving or even better to jump right out at them, so I think doing a bit of research on the matter is worth the effort.

At the end of the day I have commented on the cost of our immigration consultant who does get involved in the job search but the bottom line is that I am not prepared to leave my career in no-one’s hands.

Not sure how that would work, that if I had two different versions (obviously the same info), a shortened version for job hunting and the full monty to submit to NZIS. I guess I could also submit my CV to prospective employers in the short version and offer on request that they can have the expanded version.

My experience (here in SA) with job search is that they want to know the experience gained in respect of the position you are applying for. Once you are at interview stage with the prospective employer they may want to go back to your very first job.

Just a thought. Is the onus on the prospective employer (New Zealand) to check-out your CV or with the NZIS and they can verify that to prospective employers?

I am going to post this question on the NZ info board. If I get a response I will post it back here in hope of some clarification.

A thanks again to you all and it has been interesting reading.

Warm regards

Campbell.
Hi there.
You say u are "taking the plunge" going to NZ without a job offer, but that you will only submit your application (EOI) once u have have a job offer? Meaning that ur coming to NZ on a tourist visa to look for work, and applying for residency in NZ? If youre doing that, then why do u need an immigration consultant in SA.

Do you need a job offer to qualify for the 100 points currently needed. If not, u have a far better chance to get a job offer by applying and waiting for your residency to be approved. Im not sure of the timeframe, it will be several months.

NZIS and prospecitve employers are two totally different organisations, u seem to be under the impresion their services somehow overlap. NZIS is only there to process your application for residency....they have nothing to do with potential employment. U need to satisfy them that you qualify for whatever points u are claiming for.

Employers will check out your CV to see if you can make a contribution to them. They will not contact NZIS for this. Most cases, they will require that you have the right to work in NZ before considering your application further. I would say u need to submit quite a comprehensive CV to potential employers.

Going to NZ on a tourist visa is risky. You will have to hope for a job offer, getting a work permit, submitting your EOI, gaining residency. If you do want to go that way, you could look at the work to residence scheme, and accredited employers for that scheme listed on NZIS website. They may be more likely to consider applications from ppl without work permits.

Otherwise, get your residency first and then head to NZ..
Old Dec 9th 2004, 8:38 am
Banned

Greetings NewKiwi,

To respond to your questions:

NewKiwi wrote:
You say u are "taking the plunge" going to NZ without a job offer, but that you will only submit your application (EOI) once u have a job offer? Meaning that you are coming to NZ on a tourist visa to look for work, and applying for residency in NZ? If you’re doing that, then why do u need an immigration consultant in SA.

Campbell replies:
To answer that. I believe in professionalism and that people get paid for their area of expertise. By that I refer to our immigration consultant. It may not have been your experience but there can be a lot of conflicting advice as well as information available with regards to the various immigration categories, procedures etc. Therefore we hired our consultant to offer his expert services, who by the way have offices in Jo’burg, London & Auckland so it s not as if once we get on the plane our relationship dissolves.

NewKiwi wrote:
Do you need a job offer to qualify for the 100 points currently needed. If not, u have a far better chance to get a job offer by applying and waiting for your residency to be approved. I’m not sure of the timeframe, it will be several months.

Campbell replies:
My estimated points by our consultant’s experience is 150 (inc job offer) but have received advice from several folk that it is much easier to secure employment if you are in NZ and also displays our level of seriousness. If I was hiring staff and the potential candidate explained that they may need several months to get their ducks in a row I would have reservations. The staff selection process can be a great cost factor to the hiring company and once an offer is made most companies are looking for the offer to be taken up ASAP.

NewKiwi wrote:
NZIS and prospective employers are two totally different organizations, u seem to be under the impression their services somehow overlap. NZIS is only there to process your application for residency....they have nothing to do with potential employment. U need to satisfy them that you qualify for whatever points u are claiming for.�

Campbell replies:
The only time you would be wrong there is if I applied for a job with NZIS !
I think you have misread me there. I do not assume that their services overlap for the plain reason that NZIS is a service for potential immigrants and my potential employers will expect a service from me. The overlap is that they both require details of my career history and verification thereof.

NewKiwi wrote:
Employers will check out your CV to see if you can make a contribution to them. They will not contact NZIS for this. Most cases, they will require that you have the right to work in NZ before considering your application further. I would say u need to submit quite a comprehensive CV to potential employers.

Campbell replies:
With all due respect running my own business has taught me some things and understanding that an employer is going to expect a contribution to productivity / profitability etc is one of them. The right to work before considering my application is the chicken & egg thing as my current profession is highly specialized, audio productions and I’m hoping to get into the film industry there.
So being of positive outlook and the current lack of skills in NZ sounds like a good cocktail to shake.

NewKiwi wrote:
Going to NZ on a tourist visa is risky. You will have to hope for a job offer, getting a work permit, submitting your EOI, gaining residency. If you do want to go that way, you could look at the work to residence scheme, and accredited employers for that scheme listed on NZIS website. They may be more likely to consider applications from ppl without work permits.

Otherwise, get your residency first and then head to NZ..

Campbell replies:
Without trying to come across as Yoda my philosophy is that life is full of risks.
There is the element of hope and the element of go-get-em.

My brother-in-law recently visited NZ for a three week reconnaissance trip. Within a short space of time he had a job offer. He went to immigration (I think in Wellington) and some clerk was busy telling him all the reasons that he would have to return to South Africa to make his application, during this discussion the clerk’s supervisor asked what was happening and intervened. To cut a long story short after two hours my brother-in-law walked out of there with a two year work visa stamped in his passport. They are busy selling up their house etc and are heading over.

But, by saying what you have you are absolutely correct as there are a lot of folk who are more cautious and is a very good quality. We have done quite a lot of research into what New Zealand has to offer us and we are very focused on moving over. Life can throw you curved balls and whilst the iron’s hot we are going to strike. Perhaps I’ll burn my pants and if I do I hereby pledge to write my full story on this site in hope of warning others of all potential pitfalls.

I do really appreciate you taking the time out to respond to me post and bid you a great future in NZ.

Bye the way what do you do & how long did it take you to get over there? Where did you immigrate from?

Best regards

Campbell.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Campbells

I know of a few ppl who managed to come to NZ on tourist visas, get job offers and work permits, maybe they just have bigger b@lls than i do...

I'm not saying it cant be done....just so long as you do know and appreciate its risky thats all.

Im an ex saffa too, (now im a japie in NZ). I worked in Ireland before coming to NZ. I was lucky enought to get a job offer whilst still in Ireland, no recon visit or anything to NZ. It was under the Work-to-Residence scheme with an accredited employer, so they did not have to satisfy labour shortages criteria or anything like that. After getting the job offer, I had to submit my application, including police checks, birth certificates, offer of employment, medicals ......... getting all the background info together took a number of weeks.

After submitting my application, I got my passports back, two year work permit included, in two weeks!

After landing in Nz, i applied for residency (under the old general skills category). That took 8 months to process. I have my residency now and i can apply for NZ citizenship in about a year (provided the three year rule still applies)

cheers