Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Somebody should WARN you!

Somebody should WARN you!

Old Dec 9th 2004, 11:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Somebody should WARN you!

Well.. as I mentioned in the Glass Shoe Diaries I did wind up in the pool today. First mine, upon getting home and seeing my hot, red-faced, sweaty kids who needed someone to play with them in the pool and again at Maggy's who had us over for a fab BBQ. (Thanks doll, I had a great time!!)

Here's the funny bit... I NEEDED to go for a swim to salve my burned (yes BURNED) hands.
While at coffee, I parked behind Jill who unfortunately, had to leave before we did. So I go out to move the car so she can get out.
I had inadvertantly parked the car with FULL SUN streaming in the windscreen. OK, so the car was hot, you say. NOT THE POINT. Yes, the car was hot but the steering wheel was MOLTEN :scared:

I burned my hands on the bloody steering wheel!!! After making the initial mistake of attempting to steer the car with hands, I realized that fingertips in short bursts of control was more appropriate for this particular situation. I must have looked mad trying to turn the wheel one hot second at a time.

I finally managed to back out enough to allow Jill to pass (who must've thought I was an idiot who deserved my P licence) and pull back into the drive and thankfully under the cover of Jenny's pergola. (Thus allowing the steering wheel to cool sufficiently for the drive home. )

Hubby thought this was pretty funny when I got home and asked for one of those little steering wheel cover dealio's for X-mas.

Well there you have it.... who knew?? Consider yourself warned!

Siren
Old Dec 9th 2004, 12:05 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somebody should WARN you!

buy one of they big shiny things u put on the inside of your screen, they work great.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 12:08 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! That is freaky!!!

Here's what I just wrote in another thread people, BEFORE Siren directed me to this thread!!!! :

"Well, I spent most of the day making coffees for management and visitors. Walking to the lunchbar in 38 degree heat to get the bosses lunch.
Going to the bank in the company car and burning my legs (leather seat...) and my hands on the steering wheel(it's now DEFINETLY time for those sheepskin covers!!!!)

Luckily my own car does now have aircon, though it cost me $1000 to fix it....."

Christina, I did exactly the same thing with my fingertops! Looked real silly! he he

Btw, another 'be warned':
Don't buy a car bloody second hand through an ad in the paper when you don't know anything about cars. Get it at least checked out by the RAC.
And don't trust sincere looking Germans. Even if people say they look after their cars well.

Our car has most certainly been in a (minor?) crash. THat's why there was holes in the compressor, and it needed a new fan.
(this wasn't the only damage, a few weeks after we bought it we already forked over about $800 for various things including 2 new tyres. Was to embarrassed to talk about it then.. )

Right, rant and whinge over

Last edited by Simone; Dec 9th 2004 at 12:12 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2004, 12:50 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simone
And don't trust sincere looking Germans.

ssshh don't metion the war
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:22 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Don't buy a car bloody second hand through an ad in the paper when you don't know anything about cars. Get it at least checked out by the RAC.
And don't trust sincere looking Germans. Even if people say they look after their cars well.

Our car has most certainly been in a (minor?) crash. THat's why there was holes in the compressor, and it needed a new fan.
(this wasn't the only damage, a few weeks after we bought it we already forked over about $800 for various things including 2 new tyres. Was to embarrassed to talk about it then.. )

Sorry to hear about your car troubles!
That is one of my worries though, buying a second hand car and I don't really know enough about cars. Oh well, hopefully we'll know someone with good car-knowledge.

Btw, nice and warm in Perth...38 degrees ! :scared:
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:30 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sander
Sorry to hear about your car troubles!
That is one of my worries though, buying a second hand car and I don't really know enough about cars. Oh well, hopefully we'll know someone with good car-knowledge.

Btw, nice and warm in Perth...38 degrees ! :scared:
Yes! It's argh, but we are surviving. It's 10 pm now, and about 25 inside I think. Got a fan going at me full strength.

The RAC(anwb) and some other companys do a check before you buy the car. Cost about 100/150 dollars I think. Worth it. Next time certainly doing it!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:55 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

The RAC(anwb) and some other companys do a check before you buy the car. Cost about 100/150 dollars I think. Worth it. Next time certainly doing it!
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:30 pm
maggy

Originally Posted by soapy
buy one of they big shiny things u put on the inside of your screen, they work great.

Jenny's hubby offered her one for free today but the buggger was gabberring on about invadar zim and did not hear him lol.

xxxx

Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:34 pm
maggy

OMG! That is freaky!!!

Here's what I just wrote in another thread people, BEFORE Siren directed me to this thread!!!! :

"Well, I spent most of the day making coffees for management and visitors. Walking to the lunchbar in 38 degree heat to get the bosses lunch.
Going to the bank in the company car and burning my legs (leather seat...) and my hands on the steering wheel(it's now DEFINETLY time for those sheepskin covers!!!!)

Luckily my own car does now have aircon, though it cost me $1000 to fix it....."

Christina, I did exactly the same thing with my fingertops! Looked real silly! he he

lol funny how as time goes by on this site we open up and tell the truth.

Ok Im really a man hahahahahahah

If you dont believe me then ask Siren what I looked like when we went to city to try on wigs for a laugh.

SHE MAN :scared:

Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Here's the funny bit... I NEEDED to go for a swim to salve my burned (yes BURNED) hands.
While at coffee, I parked behind Jill who unfortunately, had to leave before we did. So I go out to move the car so she can get out.
I had inadvertantly parked the car with FULL SUN streaming in the windscreen. OK, so the car was hot, you say. NOT THE POINT. Yes, the car was hot but the steering wheel was MOLTEN :scared:

hiya Siren

LOL isn't it funny the things you forget? I and I'm sure many thousands of immigrants find this out the hard way! Look on it as a kind of initiation into Aussie Summertime!! I did exactly the same thing during our first summer here.....guess who now has a beautiful steering wheel cover on her car?
I also used to mock those people who appear to carpet their whole dashboard...now I see them in Supercheap Auto and I'm actually considering getting one.....you will also burn yourself badly if you reach across the dash for something!!!

But the silver windscreen shields are great...buy one their only about $2 in woolies!! Oh and you also become expert at finding the shady spots in the carparks too!

The temp was a bit on the warm side today...but it's lovely now (it's almost midnight!!) It's weird how quickly you acclimatise...I really suffered with the heat the first summer but after that it's not too bad.,..well as long as you remember the steering wheel cover!!

happy summertime guys and girls!!

love sophia xx
Old Dec 9th 2004, 2:59 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophia
Oh and you also become expert at finding the shady spots in the carparks too!
Ha ha ha know exactly what you mean. I am becoming the ultimate expert in shady spots !!!!!!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 9:46 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by soapy

I keep meaning to get one of those.... parking at the gym or in a shopping centre even for an hour or so can really heat up the car In lieu of one I always have a towel in my car (to sit on when I get out of the gym pool & drive home) and tend to drape that over the steering wheel. It still heats up, but not to molten point!!
Old Dec 9th 2004, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hehehehe I left hubby's sunglasses (cheap pair, thank goodness!) on the dash and they melted! Now sunnies go in the hole under the stereo, or in the glove compartment!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:38 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Larissa
Hehehehe I left hubby's sunglasses (cheap pair, thank goodness!) on the dash and they melted! Now sunnies go in the hole under the stereo, or in the glove compartment!
LOL!

On a similar note, the big candle we have at the back door has melted. First is slouched over, now there's wax all spread over the patio. I really must throw that candle in the bin...