Legal secretary

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:08 pm
JJ

JJ will become famous soon enoughJJ will become famous soon enough
Default Legal secretary

Jo has been working as a legal secretary for about 5 years now (mostly in house purchasing/selling) and has a few qualifications, anyone know weather the systems are simelar enough in Vic for her to get work there?. We had heard that house purchasing in Oz is very different and are wondering if she will be needed at all!!
Also is there any truth in the 'buying a house in a day or two' as mentioned elsewhere?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:17 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Legal secretary

Originally Posted by Jody+Jo
Jo has been working as a legal secretary for about 5 years now (mostly in house purchasing/selling) and has a few qualifications, anyone know weather the systems are simelar enough in Vic for her to get work there?. We had heard that house purchasing in Oz is very different and are wondering if she will be needed at all!!
Also is there any truth in the 'buying a house in a day or two' as mentioned elsewhere?
Can't answer your question but this is what I was doing before leaving work to have my second child (had been doing this for 10 years). Hoping to get back into it when we arrive on the Sunshine Coast in Sept/Oct time. Would also be interested to hear from anyone who might have any info on this.

Shelley
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:36 pm
Merlot

Can't give any great advice but from my experience working in recruitment in Oz, UK & HK, if Jo can audio type she will never be far away from temp work - legal, hospitals, etc.

Good luck.

M

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Can't give any great advice but from my experience working in recruitment in Oz, UK & HK, if Jo can audio type she will never be far away from temp work - legal, hospitals, etc.

Good luck.

M
Unless Jo's spouse can qualify to migrate in his own right, or there's an entitlement to citizenship or a non-skill based visa, migration eligibility is going to be a problem. Legal Secretary is not on the Skilled Occupations List.

Jeremy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:45 pm
JJ

JJ will become famous soon enoughJJ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless Jo's spouse can qualify to migrate in his own right, or there's an entitlement to citizenship or a non-skill based visa, migration eligibility is going to be a problem. Legal Secretary is not on the Skilled Occupations List.

Jeremy
I'm hoping to get in on a business owners visa as have been runnning my own franchise here for past 5 years, and have been told of a good possibility of getting the same franchise when we arrive. fingers crossed. hopefully agents will clear things up!!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:49 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

As the Australian legal system is based on the English one, you will find your UK experience helpful here.

Each state has different rules regarding conveyancing, with some states allowing 'registered conveyancers' whilst others only allow lawyers to practice conveyancing. In Queensland, only a solicitor is entitled to practice conveyancing. To the best of my knowledge, this is still true of Victoria also, although there have been various 'pushes' for registered conveyancers (who aren't fully qualified as solicitors) in both of these states.

A good start for researching this topic is the website for the Law Council of Australia which has links to the law societies of all states and territories.

Whilst conveyancing differs slightly from state to state and from UK to Oz, the fundamental processes are much the same.

In Queensland, a 'standard' residential contract is usually 30 days from contract date to settlement and 'time is of the essence'. The latter being a clause which does not appear in English contracts. There is a lot more to contract law than can be simply put here, but I'd be happy to do my best to answer any specific questions in this regard.

It is possible to complete a conveyance in as short a time as it may take to draw, engross and execute all of the documentation involved, eg less than 24 hours, however this is extremely rare. I have completed one such transaction (completion in one day) in over 20 years work in the legal arena. I have done a number of others ranging from five days to two weeks, but they are not the 'norm' and only happen when certain components are eliminated (eg no financier - cash contract).

I could write tomes on this subject (!) but have to leave for work. Will check back for any questions later.

Cheers,
PR

Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jody+Jo
I'm hoping to get in on a business owners visa as have been runnning my own franchise here for past 5 years, and have been told of a good possibility of getting the same franchise when we arrive. fingers crossed. hopefully agents will clear things up!!

Get professional advice. An online forum is not going to be able to tell you what you need to know and business migration has a range of complex issues including:

1. DIMIA are sceptical about franchises; and

2. There is a rule that says you must be spending more than 50% of your time running the business as opposed to providing professional services; and

3. You need to look at the requirements for business migration - download and read booklet 7.

Jeremy